RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Larry View Post
I ended up reattaching my dash from the bottom up in our 2019 PA 33D. I started by removing the access panel in the center, then unscrewed the square metal tubing subframe from the floor. I discovered two broken “welds” causing the entire center portion of the dash to “float” (pictured below).
Thanks for the info. Do you have any other pictures that you took as you disassembled the dash?
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you have any other pictures that you took as you disassembled the dash?
I have to apologize, I only took a few pictures of the process as I went along.

I have attached a couple pictures below, one is depicting the stack of washers they used instead of the correct screws to attach the small wooden side panel between the pedals and the center portion of the dash.

The next photo shows a self tapping screw driven about half way into the floor in the angled portion of the dash support frame, toward the passenger side. Just another example of the not so stellar workmanship we are subject to by the “craftsman” at Fleetwood.

The last photo is the frame that was supposed to be holding the center of the dash. After repairs and repainting, I put it back with some rubber bushings under it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD801AB7-8620-4395-8189-35F57A1AA43C.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	254345   Click image for larger version

Name:	1FDE542F-F5C4-48A8-A635-BE8FEBB6FE1A.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	254346  

Name:	8C211767-C52B-416B-A61B-256BC391CC82.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	254347  
Old 07-24-2019, 12:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Larry View Post
I have to apologize, I only took a few pictures of the process as I went along.

I have attached a couple pictures below, one is depicting the stack of washers they used instead of the correct screws to attach the small wooden side panel between the pedals and the center portion of the dash.

The next photo shows a self tapping screw driven about half way into the floor in the angled portion of the dash support frame, toward the passenger side. Just another example of the not so stellar workmanship we are subject to by the “craftsman” at Fleetwood.

The last photo is the frame that was supposed to be holding the center of the dash. After repairs and repainting, I put it back with some rubber bushings under it.
Cool, thanks.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #32

I had a maddening squeak that I finally traced down to the small fiberglass door to access the gen on the front of the coach. At was not aligned correctly and was rubbing, sounded like it was coming from the dash... nearly drove me crazy!

Mark

35b Excursion
nyparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #33

I'm the original poster in this thread. To tie a ribbon around my problem, my buddy and I spent an afternoon tracking down the two squeaks buried in my dash somewhere in the corners (see pics in 1st post) where the dash meets the sidewalls. My buddy literally laid on the dash while I was driving down some side roads trying to localize the squeaks.

We thought the squeaks might be coming from where the windshield meets the RV structure, so we sprayed some silicone into the rubber seals that hold the windshield in place along the bottom of the windshield.

We then went back inside and took the dash apart, starting with the strip of screws running along the top of the dash, and found that all the screws were hitting home into solid structure, so that wasn't the problem. We starting taking the dash apart and we hit a wood "firewall" (for lack of a better term) that we would have had to cut through in order to get to the spot where the dash was squeaking. We didn't want to make a cut through that (yet), so we found the other side of the wood firewall through the front hood. The area that we thought might be squeaking was way up in the corners, covered with a huge sphere of expanding foam in a very difficult to reach area, so we went back inside.

My buddy took his drill and drilled a hole in each corner of the dash, right where the arrow is pointing in the attached picture. He drilled in the same spot on each corner of the dash. The picture I included is just the point where he drilled on the right hand side. We drilled in the same exact spot on the left hand side.

We thought about filling that entire area with expanding foam to kill the squeak, but we were afraid that if we did that and it didn't solve the problem, now our squeak would be permanently encased in expanding foam and we'd never be able to fix it.

So we started driving again. He took a can of silicone lubricant with the straw applicator and started spraying into those two drill holes, trying to aim where the squeak was coming from. I think we dumped about 1/4 of a can into each hole, just spraying around in that area. After probably 5 or 10 minutes of driving, the squeak slowly went away, so I'm assuming the silicone liquid worked its way into whatever crack was causing the squeak over time as we were driving. I'd say the squeaks are about 90% gone now. We then placed a black grommet into the holes for cosmetics.

I haven't driven the RV since, but have a trip planned this weekend. We'll see if the squeaks come back. If I have to dump some silicone into the holes once a while, so be it. Those dash squeaks were the last squeaks left in my RV so now I'm going to have a silent runner : )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drill hole.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	263126  
Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #34

Good idea with drilling access holes for silicon spray - thanks. We fought with our "angry squirrel" squeak in that inaccessible dash corner for many miles. Sounded a lot like the squeak of a cheap styrofoam cooler lid ...but on every bump. Nearly drove me mad on my first trip. Looking up from the generator door, I suspect it came from where the fiberglass and sub-frame meet and the expanding foam that is up in that area. Tough to reach, but I drove a nylon construction wedge into the gap on top of the square frame member and squeak left. Now 30K miles later, I'm occasionally (colder temps?) hearing it again.
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dashboard, driver