Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 06:00 PM   #1

Start and house batteries connection

Hi
Lately my start battery has been going dead I believe that the connection between the start battery and house batteries are not being cut off.
I replaced the start battery and the positive cable happened to touch metal and I got a spark from it (guessing from the house batteries) should not these be separate power sources?
I have a auxiliary start switch inside the coach incase the start battery fails.

What I'm looking for is a basic diagram of how the two batteries are linked together and what if any solenoids might be between them and where that Auxiliary switch fits in.
I want to stop the house batteries from stealing power from the start battery.

Thanks
Geri
pallettagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 06:05 PM   #2

It really matters to know the brand and model of RV. In this instance Geri has a Fleetwood Flair 26', and would really benefit if this thread was in the Fleetwood forum.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #3

Sorry Ray
Thought I was in the Fleetwood owners forum?
Old 06-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #4

Head over to the Fleetwood owners forum. You can do a search for "BCC" without the quotes. You'll find tons of data on it. BCC = Battery Control Center. That controls the functionality of connecting/disconnecting the different battery banks. The solenoids in there go bad after time. It is possible your is stuck in the connected position. It's also possible the BCC board has gone bad. Some of those posts in the forum with have a troubleshooting document. That should have all you need to figure out what is wrong (besides a multimeter)
Old 06-29-2022, 08:00 PM   #5

This is the Fleetwood forum. I has a similar problem and I put a load tester on the battery only to find a bad cell. Replacing the battery tomorrow.

1997 32’ Fleetwood Southwind Storm
BruceMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallettagger View Post
Hi
Lately my start battery has been going dead I believe that the connection between the start battery and house batteries are not being cut off.
I replaced the start battery and the positive cable happened to touch metal and I got a spark from it (guessing from the house batteries) should not these be separate power sources?
I have a auxiliary start switch inside the coach incase the start battery fails.

What I'm looking for is a basic diagram of how the two batteries are linked together and what if any solenoids might be between them and where that Auxiliary switch fits in.
I want to stop the house batteries from stealing power from the start battery.

Thanks
Geri
On my previous Bounders, the BCC (the black box) was located at the front of the coach behind the "hood" access panel. If you remove that cover, there should be the diagram of that control center, which does include battery configuration.

If you are not familiar with the BCC, google Fleetwood BCC and then select images, you'll see what I am talking about.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:50 PM   #7

Here is a pretty common isolator relay setup.

They all work about the same.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220404-180431_Drive.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	369780
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:17 AM   #8

Hi
OK that's for the diagram and info. I'll be checking it out this weekend.

Geri
Old 07-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I work on batteries I will usually put a Ziplock bag over the terminal with a rubber band as soon as I pull it off the battery post.

I'm curious what your name means.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:10 PM   #10

Arch Hoagland

My name is my job title where I work. I work at a fruit warehouse and it has to do with inventorying and selection of different size, grade and variety of pallets of packed apples, and I have to tag them with a bar code accordingly.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:26 PM   #11

I believe that the prior owner of my motorhome has bypassed the isolator relay and installed something else that I have no clue what it is. I believe that's why I have a continuous hot connection between to Chassis and coach batteries.

So now to be on the safe side I'm going to have to let a RV service place look at it and do the repairs.
Sometimes it really bugs me when people just monkey rig something instead of doing it the right way.
My Chassis and Coach disconnect seem to be on the same solenoid at least it's marked that way?!

Thanks everyone,
Geri
Old 07-12-2022, 02:43 PM   #12

FYI on Battery Control Centers

My 2005 Fleetwood Discovery has the BCC located in the bay where the inverter/charger and electrical connections are housed. My BCC has relays for house and chassis disconnects, and both of those relays have had issues. My BCC is mounted on the forward side of the electrical bay and is housed in a dark metal box. Removing the cover, there is a simple diagram and fuse descriptions. They crazy part is: The relays are behind the BCC circuit board, so you have to disconnect all the wire connectors on the board in order to remove it to get to the relays. One of mine was stuck "open", and the other was stuck "closed". These can be replaced as necessary but make sure all of your batteries are manually disconnected. In the case of my house battery relay, it was stuck "open". Instead of attempting to replace, I wedged a small block of wood to keep it "closed", and added a manual battery disconnect to my bank of batteries. Just thought this might help, assuming your rig is similar to mine.

Randy
Old 07-12-2022, 03:13 PM   #13

PALLETTAGGER,
I had exactly the same issue you had when I was changing house batteries in my coach. The positive cable touched metal and sparked and I had already disconnected the negative cable. This struck me as odd at first then I realized I still had the power cord plugged in to a wall socket. The spark I saw was caused by the built in charger in the coach.
Was your power cord disconnected when your cable sparked?
Old 07-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #14

Hi LETMGROW
I had no "shore power" or power plugged in to the MH at the time. I believe the previous owner(s) have bypassed the isolator relay or removed it because I followed the wires and can not locate it.
Because of the wiring mess that's was left behind for some unwitting soul (ME) I have taken it to a RV service company and am having them put in a isolator relay.
So to anyone out there that just monkey rigs things instead of doing things correctly (shame on you)

Geri

Tags
batteries, house batteries