Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #1

Steering Stabilizer

I am looking for recommendations on adding a steering stabilizer system to my 2014 Fleetwood Southwind.
My mechanic has suggested the stabilizer will help the steering in the case of a front tire blow out.
I am not familiar with the available brands and looking for input from other owners, pros / cons, and if indeed you have found them to be effective.
Thanks in advance.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #2

There's a lot of moving parts in a solid front axle and stabilizers are good for soaking up the slight movement in those parts. IMO stabilizers also prevent to some degree premature wear in those parts by lessening the impact of movement. So for those reasons I recommend them. That being said I have never had a blowout on a vehicle that had a stabilizer so I have no idea how it reacts but I suspect it does nothing. It almost seems like it's the same as saying get good shocks in case a leaf spring breaks. Which I have done and it doesn't help a bit. So I recommend a stabilizer, just not for the reasons your mechanic stated. Also make sure everything is sound before installing and that you aren't trying to cover up a problem with a stabilizer. In my experience people often try a stabilizer to fix an issue and it never works. It just hides it sometimes.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tend to agree with rwhite1223. I had a steering stabilizer on a Chevrolet P32. I didn't notice much that I would attribute to the steering stabilizer either good or bad. In theory all the steering stabilizers use opposing spring tension to center the steering. Adjusting this so the vehicle doesn't pull to one side can be difficult.

There are essentially 2 types. Click on: SteerSafe.

There are several brands that work like this: Road Master Reflex Steering Stabilizer. All these brands have a shock absorber type device that has opposing springs. It connects between the tie rod and the axle.

SteerSafe works directly on the steering knuckle. By doing so it bypasses any movement in the tie rod ends, ball joints/king pins or any other moving parts of the front steering.

All the rest allow movement of the steering components to affect the steering.

If I were going to put one on my RV I would install SteerSafe.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
I am looking for recommendations on adding a steering stabilizer system to my 2014 Fleetwood Southwind.
My mechanic has suggested the stabilizer will help the steering in the case of a front tire blow out.
I am not familiar with the available brands and looking for input from other owners, pros / cons, and if indeed you have found them to be effective.
Thanks in advance.
I installed Safe T plus on my Tiffin I recommend it great product.

https://www.safe-t-plus.com/rv/?utm_..._source=google

https://youtu.be/dSgz61yn-4M
plaster_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #5

I recently installed a Roadmaster and it has helped. It isn't a cure-all and you'll read varying reviews from - "It's GREAT!", to "Waste of money, didn't help at all." There are so many variables involved that can effect performance - the most important would be the overall condition of the suspension and steering components and the type of chassis.

After installing mine most of the small scale wander improved. I lived on a small undulating bumpy rural road and I constantly had to work the steering wheel with small corrections to stay centered in the lane. After installing the stabilizer those small corrections were reduced about 80%. I've never had problems with semis pushing me aside when they passed, but did experience some rut tracking, which is now reduced. Haven't experienced a blow out but that was an additional reason for going with the stabilizer. I figured any help in that regard was good.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.php
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

I went with Safe-T-Plus because of the reviews and they sold versions geared towards the various Class A weights. I was more concerned with the tire blowout situation than true steering dampening and having had a typical steering dampener on my Born-Free Class C, I did not want a unit that did not have the capability of making a difference if the steering suddenly was impacted due to a road condition or tire blowout. Some of the steering dampers, such as what came as stock on my Born-Free, were not adequate to impact the drive handling even during modest road hazards.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #7

Roadmaster stabilizer definitely helped with our Bay Star. And it's nice to have in the event of a front tire blowout. But, it's not a cure all and you should be sure that the front end is aligned, tires are balanced and in good shape, and tire inflation is based upon axle/wheel weights and the tire manufacturer's inflation table.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #8

Plus 1 on the Safe T Plus. Peace of mind and I hope to never have a blow out.

RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:16 PM   #9

Thanks to all who have responded to my question.
The main reason for installing a stabilizer will be to assist in case of a front end blow out.
Your input will help in making the decision.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had the owner install his Steer Safe system (installation was free if you go to him in NM): SteerSafe.com

Don't let the DIY website scare you away. We've had it installed a couple years ago and are happy with it.
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #11

Everyone talks about the benefit in a front tire blow out. And me too. But in my opinion a MUCH more likely scenario is dropping a front tire off the edge of the pavement. I was driving my Storm on a county 2 lane when an inattentive oncoming driver (on her phone) came across the center line. I swerved on to the shoulder, about a 3 inch drop off, and had my hands VERY full trying to keep things under control. I self installed a Roadmaster Reflex and immediately noticed the benefit in normal driving. Fortunately I’ve not had occasion to test the wheel off the edge thing again yet but I’m very confident it would be much less stressful.

Tags
steering