RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 811
Steps scare me! LOL

So we went out a couple weeks ago in our 2017 Bounder 35K. Very nice short trip. We come home, plug in the RV, ( I have full hook ups at home)empty out our junk etc. A couple days later I went out to get something and the stairs didn't go down. Well crud! I got underneath and started checking out stuff. It had power etc. That evening I checked out stuff on the LCI app to figure out what to do. Yesterday I gathered up what I needed to test the motor, controller etc and went out to check it. Opened the door and the stairs worked fine. I hate gremlins like that. The only thing I found that could be the culprit was the ground connection. I didn't like the tiny screw they used through the eyelet so I pulled it out. They had coated the chassis before attaching the ground so the eyelet was laying on black paint. Just the threads of the self tapping screw was making contact. So I put in a new eyelet and larger screw along with grinding off the paint so good contact was being made. I also put dielectric grease in all the plugs I could find. I lubed the steps and called it good.



Anyone have further advice on this? I'd hate to have this happen while I am camping.
__________________
Old Bakersfield Man
2017 Bounder 35K 2017 and 2006 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Pillbox's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca
Posts: 242
You did what I would have done, except one thing, I would have sprinkled gremlin dust on the steps, too.
Terry
__________________
Semper Fi
2007 HR Endeavor PAQ, 2020 Trailhawk toad
Roadmaster tow bar
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Cat320's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,846
My manual says to lube the steps monthly.
__________________
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 13, 500 HP
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
My manual says to lube the steps monthly.

I thought that was excessive. I do lube them every once in a while. They go up and down very smoothly. I use that garage door silicon spray.
__________________
Old Bakersfield Man
2017 Bounder 35K 2017 and 2006 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
You did what I would have done, except one thing, I would have sprinkled gremlin dust on the steps, too.
Terry

I hate gremlins.
__________________
Old Bakersfield Man
2017 Bounder 35K 2017 and 2006 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 5,386
Our dealership was a kwickee repair center. I have worked on many, many steps. What happened to you sounds like the steps were closed hard and were tripping the stop limit. There are no stops on the kwickee steps. They open until the steps go as far as they can and when they stop the amps start to rise and the controller sees this and shuts off the power. Sometimes when they go out or in the next time you open the door the steps are binding slightly and the amps rise and shut down the power. To check for this lay next to the steps and close the door. If you hear a very faint click about a second after you close the door, That is the power is shutting off. Clean and lube ALL pivot points on the steps.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Our dealership was a kwickee repair center. I have worked on many, many steps. What happened to you sounds like the steps were closed hard and were tripping the stop limit. There are no stops on the kwickee steps. They open until the steps go as far as they can and when they stop the amps start to rise and the controller sees this and shuts off the power. Sometimes when they go out or in the next time you open the door the steps are binding slightly and the amps rise and shut down the power. To check for this lay next to the steps and close the door. If you hear a very faint click about a second after you close the door, That is the power is shutting off. Clean and lube ALL pivot points on the steps.

Thanks I figured they worked like that. It is very similar to a auto electric window motor with a bit different controller.



My step pivots all appear to be stellar. No rattles ETC. I do lube those pivots. The steps have always sounded very smooth going up and down. I'm fairly new to Motorhomes but I have learned many issues are related to fumble fingered drunks who do all that interface stuff, especially wiring, between the Ford Chassis and the coach. That is why I suspect the ground cable was the issue. They crimped a eyelet to the wire and screwed it (with a very small screw) to the bottom edge of the house battery compartment. I verified they did not sand, grind, scrape off the paint. So just where the threads were in the steel was there a connection. The light would come on, but probably not enough amps there to run the step system. Just a little moisture to those threads and I'm sure there was a bit of oxidation and ground was lost. I washed up the house battery compartment which lives over the steps and the added moisture brought the ground back. As soon as I plugged in the 4 prong plug yesterday morning boom the steps came down.



Just a theory of course.
__________________
Old Bakersfield Man
2017 Bounder 35K 2017 and 2006 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Thanks I figured they worked like that. It is very similar to a auto electric window motor with a bit different controller.



My step pivots all appear to be stellar. No rattles ETC. I do lube those pivots. The steps have always sounded very smooth going up and down. I'm fairly new to Motorhomes but I have learned many issues are related to fumble fingered drunks who do all that interface stuff, especially wiring, between the Ford Chassis and the coach. That is why I suspect the ground cable was the issue. They crimped a eyelet to the wire and screwed it (with a very small screw) to the bottom edge of the house battery compartment. I verified they did not sand, grind, scrape off the paint. So just where the threads were in the steel was there a connection. The light would come on, but probably not enough amps there to run the step system. Just a little moisture to those threads and I'm sure there was a bit of oxidation and ground was lost. I washed up the house battery compartment which lives over the steps and the added moisture brought the ground back. As soon as I plugged in the 4 prong plug yesterday morning boom the steps came down.



Just a theory of course.
The small ground that you are speaking of is the ground for the step light only. Check under the step and you will find a large green wire. it should run from the step to the frame. That is your step ground. It is very important that it is making good contact.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 5
On my 2003 Fiesta, the ground for the steps runs right to the neg battery terminal. The batteries are right there above the steps....
Wiffer2020-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The small ground that you are speaking of is the ground for the step light only. Check under the step and you will find a large green wire. it should run from the step to the frame. That is your step ground. It is very important that it is making good contact.

That's a huge wire for a little light. I'd guess 10 ga, could be 12 ga. It runs from the step assembly to the house battery compartment frame. I'll look again tomorrow.
__________________
Old Bakersfield Man
2017 Bounder 35K 2017 and 2006 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:17 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffer2020-B View Post
On my 2003 Fiesta, the ground for the steps runs right to the neg battery terminal. The batteries are right there above the steps....

That would make sense. I even thought of re-routing mine. But, I do think the steps are meant to operate off the chassis battery. Hence the frame ground.
__________________
Old Bakersfield Man
2017 Bounder 35K 2017 and 2006 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
That would make sense. I even thought of re-routing mine. But, I do think the steps are meant to operate off the chassis battery. Hence the frame ground.

When I noticed that ground I hadnít thought much about the actual circuits. My steps do operate with the chassis battery also. I might move that ground to a chassis ground, not far from the batteries on the F53 frame next time Iím working on stuff. Or I might just not worry about it...
Wiffer2020-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffer2020-B View Post
When I noticed that ground I hadnít thought much about the actual circuits. My steps do operate with the chassis battery also. I might move that ground to a chassis ground, not far from the batteries on the F53 frame next time Iím working on stuff. Or I might just not worry about it...

I would not worry. Ground is ground. The chassis battery and house batteries are all grounded to the frame. Now mixing the hot side could be interesting.
__________________
Old Bakersfield Man
2017 Bounder 35K 2017 and 2006 Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
AZ RV'r's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Posts: 388
Check out my thread... Its about my problems with my steps.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hel...ps-470634.html

Probably same steps, same parts and I have pictures.

Hope this helps.... Good luck!
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37 F
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - towing
2020 Jeep Gladiator not towing
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
steps



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
things that scare you when your watching horror movies powerboatr Damon 8 11-04-2009 09:47 AM
Scare Lights LindaH Excel Owner's Forum 13 09-29-2007 11:18 AM
Starter Scare psyflyjohn Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 10 07-29-2007 07:52 PM
Heat pump scare Nick and Sonia Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 05-23-2007 06:52 PM
"Scare Lights" in a Campground! rehcuobbob iRV2.com General Discussion 10 01-13-2005 10:32 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.