Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Got lucky it was the plastic plug shear bearings, I also ordered a spare gear and plugs. I'm pretty sure my driver door window uses the same drive set-up.

For older than 1999 units I believe the 1990 Ford Taurus is the complete unit, Advance Auto carries them in a Dorman and ACI brand. Mine appears to be a Dorman with ACI gears, they seem to be interchangable.

Go to Dorman's website and download their PDF file they have hundreds of motors and other hard to find parts. Their pdf has pictures and application lists also.
Thanks for the updates Brockx...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
It fits the newer ones also.

Good to know, when I was looking at "Kwikee" related parts I was seeing a lot of "1999 or newer notes". So I was concerned about giving bad info.
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2010 Discovery and I've had the same problem with our steps, but only in cool/cold weather. It's happened since day 1. But unfortunately, every time we have it in the shop for some sort of repair, it can never be duplicated. I'm going to try the WD40 method to see if that helps unless anyone has other suggestions. The steps will eventually go in and out with "help" but get stuck on their own during cool/cold weather. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGuyRAM View Post
I have a 2010 Discovery and I've had the same problem with our steps, but only in cool/cold weather. It's happened since day 1. But unfortunately, every time we have it in the shop for some sort of repair, it can never be duplicated. I'm going to try the WD40 method to see if that helps unless anyone has other suggestions. The steps will eventually go in and out with "help" but get stuck on their own during cool/cold weather. Thank you!

Anyone that wants to jump on this feel free. I have my motor ready to go back in but it won't be until Saturday, HOA won't bother me about having it at home over Saturday night.

So far I have not see any limit switches in the system that would control in and out travel stops. So it is my belief the in/out stops are controled by the amount of current draw when the steps get full out or full in, the steps controller would disconnect then and stop in that position.

This theory would apply to those who have fixed partial travel problems by lubricating the steps linkage. This could also explain your cold weather step problems. Assuming your steps are lubed I would guess the grease inside the motor gear housing or the steps gear box are too heavy and get thicker when cold causing the controller to stop the step travel too early. Perhaps they have been worked on and heavy grease was used, the grease that was in mine was light duty.

Anyone know different fire away, it's my "theory" at this point
Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #19

You are correct in your theory.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok!!
Got my steps working again today....yippee!

Did run into a glitch however: I mentioned earlier that I had ran into info on Kwikee steps parts that indicated there was a change in 1999, and some parts would not interchange. I believe that change was from Dorman to ATI motors, the motors will in my opinion interchange but there are some slight differences in the gears and nylon plug gears. To be safe I had ordered a set of Dorman plugs and an ATI gear with plugs. When I started to put my unit back together, based on the plastic gear design, I realized my unit was an ATI. I had thought the step assembly looked awfully fresh compared to the general undercarrriage and I am now sure it was replaced after 1999. The Dorman plugs are a different diameter and height than the the ATI's. I intially put the Dorman plugs into my old gear, went together nicely but I could not get the snap ring on the shaft the plugs were a little high. I finally used the new set of ATI gears and all is well. I did need to take a razor blade and trim the ATI plugs to remove excess mold flash to assemble (can you say CHINA).

The Dorman plugs were about .010 greater in height and .006 less diameter. To determine which motor you have, no ID on mine, look at the internal plastic gear of both, they have a different face appearance and order accordingly. Advance Auto shows both on their online parts listing.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Mine were doing the same thing as yours. Finally took the gear box off and cleaned up the commutator on the motor put it back together and it works every time now. I cleaned and lubricated it but nothing helped until I took it off and got into the motor.
twostepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twostepen View Post
Mine were doing the same thing as yours. Finally took the gear box off and cleaned up the commutator on the motor put it back together and it works every time now. I cleaned and lubricated it but nothing helped until I took it off and got into the motor.

Lucky mine were just the crushed "Dorman" bearings, if that didn't do it I was going to buy the whole motor at Advance Auto.

Tags
steps