Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you love Entegra and American Coach, you will not be satisfied with a gas unit such a Bounder that you mentioned in your post. Believe it or not, you eventually will justify a unit at the Entegra or American Coach level. It's only a matter of how you get there. As others have said, buy you last coach first. If you read this and other forums, you will see that many folks tip toe at first and then end up stepping up once they realize how much they like the lifestyle and how they know exactly what they want in a unit. I suggest to rent a couple times to help get a better idea of just what floats your boat. I started with a 99 discovery 36t in great shape and currently have a 2006 American Coach tradition. Kept the discovery for 2 years and learned a lot about what we really liked and had to have. Good luck and make sure to enjoy the search!
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
As others have said, buy you last coach first. If you read this and other forums, you will see that many folks tip toe at first and then end up stepping up once they realize how much they like the lifestyle and how they know exactly what they want in a unit. I suggest to rent a couple times to help get a better idea of just what floats your boat.
I agree 100% but Hubby likes to be frugal. I am worried that since he doesn't want to but what he wants now then we wont get anything :(

I know my husband, he is never satisfied
Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #17

My first motorhome (I am only 41 with 2 kids) is our gently used Revolution. I have done some repairs and upgrades myself. Currently doing flooring. I don't see selling this coach for a LONG time. To me, that is the best way to approach this, Last Coach First (of course I will have another coach god willing!) I bought a coach with great bones and fixed the rest for well under $100K.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #18

We bought an '05 Bounder in 2012 to "see how we liked it it 40k sold it in early 2013 for 45k did very little to it. Then we bought an '11 Astoria and we will have it for awhile.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Well a lot has changed and we have learned a lot. We know we want an Entegra but not yet. I decided to go back to work so we will not have as much travel time as before. We still have a place in Florida and rent a place in New Orleans. We've recently discovered the beaches in Mississippi and want something we can easily take no more than 200 miles away in a weekend and maybe a couple weeks in the summer.

I want the Entegra but can't justify the cost for so little use since we aren't rich

Hubby likes the idea of a jay I class c since there are some Entegra similarities. He also likes the Georgetown xl but with a lot of state parks an option that is getting pretty big.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Buy a used DP. You can get a nice one, about 10-12 years old, for 75-100k. It will not be an Entegra but will be much better than a Class C. Since you like Entegras, I would look for a good used Travel Supreme. But if you run across a nice Monaco, Beaver, CountryCoach, Newmar or Tiffen grab it. Condition is everything when buying a coach that age. You want to find that rare coach that was pampered since new by its owner(s). If you find a good one, it will last as long as you want to keep it, provided you too give it good care. You will have no need to trade up, which will save you gobs of money in the long run vs buying a smaller new coach now which you will want to trade later.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #21

Bought my rig used for well under 100K. If status matters I am often the nicest coach in the parks I frequent. If driving comfort matters mine drives and tows like a dream. I like tinkering and upgrading myself, so that is actually a bonus with a used good quality coach. I would only throw AC into the list Marc had since it competes with the names he mentioned well.

If you are buying to solve a short term problem, DEFINITELY buy used, whatever you get.

After a few upgrades, I can honestly say the only thing I "wish" (and no biggie believe you me) my coach had was LED puck style lights. I can get over it tho.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
My first step into buying a MH was probably with the same trepidation as your husband. The DW was more like you....ready to go...now!! We looked at dozens of them and then found the one we have now. Far..far under $100,000 and it still gives us thrills and after 2 years and over 20,000 miles we have no MH fever to upgrade. Of course there's little things we might like to upgrade like LED lighting etc., but nothing to motivate us to move up the ladder. There's a nice well kept DP out there well under $100,000 that you'll enjoy for many years just waiting for you. Enjoy the journey finding it!!