Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Strongly considering an RV sooner than we thought

We've been actively looking for a future purchase and love the Entegra and the American Coach but we aren't ready to plunk that much coin down since it would only be a weekend or two a month.

We are back and forth and want to stay near 100K for this purchase. Admittedly we are snobby with fit and finish so we would like a lot of bang for our buck. Hubby is scared of used, I want more for my money and love used

Regardless there is a model that has peaked my interest. A FRED Bounder classic with Bunks.

What are the advantages of the diesel over the gas? I am familiar with DP and gassers but I don't know how to decide between these two options.

Any help appreciated, it is one of the decisions we are trying to make
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #2

I have seen that there is a different chassis on the diesel and transmission.

Everything else is the same.

The diesel has less horsepower, but more torque AND that torque is available at only 1250 RPM versus 3000 some for the Gas.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Front Engine Diesel (FRED) - Type A motorhomes - FMCA Motorhome Forums

RV Tech Library - The FRED Chassis

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fred.htmhttp://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fred.htm

Some info on FRED
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

Reading them now
Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

For what it is worth:

We just purchased a 2015 Discovery 40G which is the bunkhouse model. The main reason we chose diesel over gas is simply longevity. A gasoline engine will last literally 1/3 of the life of a DP. Not to mention the power and towing capability, and Cummins makes one of the best diesel engines on the market. We have yet to take delivery of our coach so I cant yet speak of how the ride is. Good luck and as my brother said to me when we decided to move up from our fifth wheel to a DP....... ENJOY THE PROCESS!
abbottfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Being that this would be in the running against 75K price gas models I am really lost :(

I like the torque at low RPM. It will be a weekender and a a used a couple full weeks a year.

Mostly, to drive to Florida pulling a toad and going to nearby state/national parks.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

Thought

Have you all thought of a fifth wheel? That is what we did for the first couple of years. We had a Dutchman Voltage 43' pulled behind our F350. You get all of the benefits of a diesel and the comforts of a large rig, plus you have a truck to drive when you unhitch at the campground.
abbottfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

It sounds in part you are tring to justify the expense,don't try. We are also weekend and vacation use MH owners first one used the last 2 new. My best advise is to test drive different chassis for power,ride and interior noise.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottfamily View Post
Have you all thought of a fifth wheel? That is what we did for the first couple of years. We had a Dutchman Voltage 43' pulled behind our F350. You get all of the benefits of a diesel and the comforts of a large rig, plus you have a truck to drive when you unhitch at the campground.
We considered it but we don't want a large truck, as we live in a city.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
It sounds in part you are tring to justify the expense,don't try. We are also weekend and vacation use MH owners first one used the last 2 new. My best advise is to test drive different chassis for power,ride and interior noise.
We have come to the conclusion that it is not able to be justified.

We just do not want to overspend since we will be getting a fancier model in a few years.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
We have come to the conclusion that it is not able to be justified.

We just do not want to overspend since we will be getting a fancier model in a few years.
I can tell you from our 2008 Bounder 35E (36') Gasser with a 362 HP 30 valve V10 Ford engine, that it has an excellent tow gear which is very similar to the diesel brake. Power to spare going uphill in CA. with all the mountainous terrain and control going down in TOW gear with a car behind.
Buy a slightly used gasser, get used to driving a big rig and, in the future,
purchase a diesel as we are ready to do.
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #12

Thanks so much so far. Frankly I want an Entegra, and hubby LOVES their front seats. He wants those seats bad! I found them in a Jayco Seneca (class Cplus) but I've not been able to discern the best gas models as far as build quality. I assume Newmar and Tiffin are the top...thoughts?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Buy a DP! Not that a gas coach is unsuitable. Your looking new or used? My pecking order excluding Newell, Prevost and Foretravel. Newmar, AC, Entegra, all very close depending on model. This order is new, high end. If looking used, CC, Travel Supreme, would also be a fine high end choice. JMHO.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to agree with Clay!

Diesel Pusher all the way!!!
I have a large storage facility and watched my customer trade every year or every other year and to be honest....I watched them all through many thousands of dollars away trading up! All they end up doing is wasting their money.
Also, Being from the automotive industry for over 30 years.....try to buy late model, low mileage, low use, great condition Used Coaches! You always get more for your money and someone else already went through the break-in period where we all know there are always alot of issues that turn into punch lists of issues to be resolved!
There are thousands of used coaches that got very little use for one reason or another and you win! Let them take the depreciation and the hassles not to mention crazy taxes they paid for new!!!
A wise man once said..... "Buy your last coach first!!"

Look hard enough and you will find your dream coach like we did!!
Good Luck!
Craig
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote