Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Stuck! No Power (Long but HELP please)

I recently bought a slightly used 2017 Bounder 35K. I took it to a local RV park to figure it out as this is my first motorhome. I had a TT before. Everything seemed to work fine. And I figured out just about everything I needed to know. I did have a fuse blow in the dash 12 V cigarette lighter port. I could not find a burnt fuse and I did want to add additional 12 V ports so I just ran a wire and fuse directly to the battery and taped off the existing wires to the old port.

So here is my issue----this morning I was getting everything packed up to leave the park and I get no power to my slides or leveling jacks. Engine on, brake set, seat forward ETC and nothing. I have had the slides in and out numerous times with no issue. I have used the jacks a couple times.

Can the 12V port that shorted out and is now dead be a part of this problem? I double checked every fuse under the dash to the left of the drivers foot. (That is a bear to get in there and check fuses unless you are a monkey!)

I am flummoxed. Help please.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be that the circuit runs through that fuse if it worked before this happened.
Just an educated guess.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
Community Administrator

stuck! (Long but HELP please)

My Bounder ( 08 35E ) had these fuses in the BCC ( battery control center ) it was in the first passenger side bay.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8101.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	204653

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1409.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	204654

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

Can you shoot some pic's of the fuse panel you accessed? There are three on the coach, two are for the chassis and one for the house 12v system. One in the dash area, one under the 'hood' and one back with the main breakers.

If you did not find the fuse for the cig outlet, then you did not find the correct fuse panel. Look at the dash shelf, are there any cut outs on it? My fuse panel lives under a cut out on the far left top of the dash shelf.

Also, why did the cig outlet fuse blow? What was plugged into it to cause that?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Can you shoot some pic's of the fuse panel you accessed? There are three on the coach, two are for the chassis and one for the house 12v system. One in the dash area, one under the 'hood' and one back with the main breakers.

If you did not find the fuse for the cig outlet, then you did not find the correct fuse panel. Look at the dash shelf, are there any cut outs on it? My fuse panel lives under a cut out on the far left top of the dash shelf.

Also, why did the cig outlet fuse blow? What was plugged into it to cause that?

I was in the process of putting in extra 12 v ports up front. Operator error caused the short.

Yes, it was a 40 amp fuse in the engine compartment. But I just taped up those wires and ran a fused line directly to the battery.

But that had nothing to do with the slides or jacks. The only fuse box that is marked is in the inverter bay by the entry door. All those fuses, to include the slides and jacks, are good. Being I'm paying $40 a day at a park I called a guy today. He went over everything and said it has to be the control modules or switch panels. But he also said the odds of both the jack system and slide system quitting at the same time is puzzling. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the local Camping World to come out and fix it. I bought it 100 miles away but they should honor the warranty.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #6

And why in the world they don't mark what fuse goes to what is beyond me. What the guy found in this maze of dozens of fuses and circuit breakers was: 4 good fuses in the bedroom that have no power going to them and 4 good fuses under the hood that have no power going to them. These were of various amps, all 20 and under.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
In Neutral, parking brake set,.... Salesman switch accidentally turned off???
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

A 40 amp fuse? That would not be something for a Cig Lighter circuit....way way too large. 12v accessory fuses are generally 5-10 amp fuses. A 40 amp sounds exactly like something used for slide or leveling jacks ....I think that's your Huckleberry.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
A 40 amp fuse? That would not be something for a Cig Lighter circuit....way way too large. 12v accessory fuses are generally 5-10 amp fuses. A 40 amp sounds exactly like something used for slide or leveling jacks ....I think that's your Huckleberry.
Agree. 40a fuse is for something high draw. More than a 12vdc power port.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #10

Call Fleetwood. If nothing else they can email you the schematic.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
In Neutral, parking brake set,.... Salesman switch accidentally turned off???

I've had the slides out numerous times and the jacks up and down 3-4 times just to try them out. I have no idea where what a salesman switch is.

Quote:

That is what you'd thing. The service guy who came out on a holiday to look at it said on RV's it is common to have a 40 amp fuse on a 12V power outlet as he sees it all the time. Usually that same fuse runs other functions as well but it wasn't anything with jacks or slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Call Fleetwood. If nothing else they can email you the schematic.

Absolutely, I am a fairly good tech and if I know what is what and where is where I'm sure I could fix it myself. I'd hate to void warranty by this and for now I need to get the sucker out of the RV park.

My local Camping world who is a Fleetwood dealer said I could bring it in and they'd fix it. LOL I guess I could rent a huge helicopter. and lift it out of the park. Or possibly install a 6" lift kit to get the jacks up. They do no service calls. I asked the guy if I were to manually close the slide and drain the oil out of the jacks if that would void the warranty? he said it might. He said any work an independent does may void stuff as well.

I spoke with the dealer 100 miles away where I bought it. (Paul Evert) They said they will see if they can send some techs down to look at it.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #12

The tech (who I thought was great) looked at everything. He said we could manually get the jacks up and the slide closed but he did not want to be responsible for an oil mess of slide damage. I guess on these new jacks you have to open a line and release the oil to get them up.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #13

If your jacks have the spring to help lift them then cracking a line should get them to raise. But again there is going to be fluid coming out you have to deal with.

I would think your slides have a place where you can put a socket on and manually retract them.

Not an expert so no flaming please.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefM View Post
If your jacks have the spring to help lift them then cracking a line should get them to raise. But again there is going to be fluid coming out you have to deal with.

I would think your slides have a place where you can put a socket on and manually retract them.

Not an expert so no flaming please.

I get flamed enough to know not to flame. I'm at an RV park I really like and I'd hate to get oil on the gravel slab. But it may happen like that and at least cleaning up gravel is easier than concrete.

The bedroom slide has a bolt you can turn. Not easy to get to as it's under the bed. I guess you crawl under the bed, turn the bolt, close the slide, then turn the bolt so you can get out from under the bed and on and on!
The living area slide has 2 motors. The manual calls for removing something from the gear boxes so the heavy slide can be manually pushed in. Then reassemble the motor. The manual suggests against doing this unless it's an emergency as things can get wrecked.

Tomorrow I'm gonna have to say damm the warranty and have a close-to the park RV park outfit get the jacks up and being it's only a block away on a very little used street we can move it slow and careful with the slide out.

Tags
power