Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Personally, I would not replace the TRC with another; I would buy a Progressive with the better warranty.
I agree, Progressive is a much better supported unit. They will ship the parts if you wish to repair yourself or you can ship to them for free repair.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #16

My question would be does the Progressive Surge Guard also have the function of acting as the generator transfer switch?? On my 2014 35K when option # 690 Neutral Loss Protection is applied the generator transfer switch is replaced with the Surge Guard 40250-RVC which takes over that function in addition to providing the Neutral Loss protection. Fleetwood recently sent me the wiring diagrams for my coach and that is where I found the information about the transfer switch.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Another vote for ditching the TRC unit. If you follow the other RV groups and forums, TRC does not have a good track record. Failures and fires seem to be the problem, not to mention the warranty issue.

Many people buy these surge protectors based on cost and I truly believe these are a " you get what you pay for" item. Progressive Industries with EMS is the best on the market and better prices can be found, you just have to search a little.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
My question would be does the Progressive Surge Guard also have the function of acting as the generator transfer switch?? On my 2014 35K when option # 690 Neutral Loss Protection is applied the generator transfer switch is replaced with the Surge Guard 40250-RVC which takes over that function in addition to providing the Neutral Loss protection. Fleetwood recently sent me the wiring diagrams for my coach and that is where I found the information about the transfer switch.
Nope. The 40250 is a transfer switch that has the same features as the PI PT 50C, but not vice versa. I know why you're asking though - cause I recently had to replace my transfer switch and did so with 40250. It's not cheap. And that's why I still have the PI 50 and Power Master Voltage controller in line in front of it.

You don't have to use the 40250 that Fleetwood calls the replacement - it's a good choice. Someone suggested another make / model but I don't recall which one. It was not a TRC...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
So there is no confusion:

Progressive Industries makes Electrical Management Systems that include surge protection. TRC makes a product they call Surge Guard® which, according to model, does much the same functions of the PI EMS.
TRC makes a transfer switch with a built in Surge Guard, PI does not. The difference is in the warranty. TRC is a one year warranty. Progressive Industries is lifetime repair/replace.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

http://trci.net/media/166590/90606e%...nformation.pdf

Fact: When a surge protector does it's job, it sacrifices itself and must be repaired or replaced. If you have a TRC product, you better hope it happens within the first 365 days, or you'll have to toss it and buy a new one. If you have a Progressive Industries product, you only buy it once and the company offers free 24/7 support, repair, and replacement for the future.

While I can't speak to the original quality of either product, my personal experience with PI is that they will go the extra mile to be sure you only buy and spend the money once for their EMS.

If it were me, I'd buy a good Auto Transfer Switch and protect it with a PI EMS. You might have to replace the ATS down the road, but the EMS is a one time purchase.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Display

For those that replaced the TRC with a Progressive, what did you do with the remote display? I like the feature of being able to read the input voltage without opening compartments to get to the unit.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #21

So BFlinn181 what you are saying is that there is no Progressive Industries direct replacement for the Surge Guard currently installed. To use a progressive Industries EMS you will also need to purchase a separate generator auto transfer switch?
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
So BFlinn181 what you are saying is that there is no Progressive Industries direct replacement for the Surge Guard currently installed. To use a progressive Industries EMS you will also need to purchase a separate generator auto transfer switch?
Correct, although it's not generally called a "generator auto transfer switch", just an ATS. If you pay the $$ for a TRC ATS with built in Surge Guard®, the first time it protects you from surge, if a year or more after purchase, you'll have to buy another one. If you put in an ATS and protect your RV with a Progressive Ind. EMS, the EMS is good for life, the ATS as long as it lasts.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #23
Commercial Member

I admit I'm a Progressive Industries believer. But would like to add one more point, if they are willing to give a Lifetime Warranty, then they must believe they have used the best components.

Yes, if it fails, they will replace, repair, or send you the parts, they must believe they will not need to.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 07-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Progressive vs TRC

I have been on the Progressive website and all they have listed are surge protectors. The transfer switch portion of the TRC 40250 unit we have is whats defective.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman View Post
I have been on the Progressive website and all they have listed are surge protectors. The transfer switch portion of the TRC 40250 unit we have is whats defective.
As I said before, you could replace the whole ATS and Surge Guard built into it, or replace the ATS and ADD a Progressive Ind. Electric Management System. Have tried contacting TRC and asked if they will sell you just the part of the combination ATS/EMS you need?

Bob & Donna
Old 07-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad I checked this thread again. For some reason when I see "Surge Guard," it never occurred to me that it is actually the brand name of the transfer switch in our Bounder. (I always associate "Surge Guard" with the EMS/surge protector.) So for the past three years I have not paid attention to the brand name of our transfer switch.

When I google for information on our model 41260 Surge Guard Transfer Switch, I find that they are fairly reasonably priced ($209 online) and now I'm wondering if it would be prudent to order one to keep as a backup in case of failure. Does anyone else carry a spare transfer switch? Is this something that can be DIY'd or is it best left to a pro?

Our transfer switch has an annoying "thump" occasionally and I have wondered if it might be a failure waiting to happen. Can anyone recommend a better replacement for the Surge Guard brand?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not hard replacing an ATS, especially if you have a new one on hand to put in place and hook up the wires as you go. Label wires first so you don't confuse location, but it's only a matter of 12 wires (50 amp) to unclamp, remove ATS and replace, then re-clamp the 12 wires back in the new one.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It's not hard replacing an ATS, especially if you have a new one on hand to put in place and hook up the wires as you go. Label wires first so you don't confuse location, but it's only a matter of 12 wires (50 amp) to unclamp, remove ATS and replace, then re-clamp the 12 wires back in the new one.
Thanks, BFlinn. I was looking over the installation instructions for our original, and it indicates a torque wrench (in/lb) is required. Guess I'll buy one of those, too.

Tags
surge guard