Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Surge Guard Failed- need guidance

Our inbound power transfer switch shut down sometime this week and we found it Saturday. The coach batteries were discharged (coach and batteries new to us in Aug). I have inbound power at switch verified, but no power into the coach. We charged the house batteries with an external charger, and were lucky they came back up. This is a 2007 American Tradition with a model 40250 Surge Guard and an Intellitec EMS. We also tried to start the generator and the switch flashes but now won't start. Questions: 1) I read here that the 40350 switch (40250 discontinued) will fit the coach but may have to settings we must set to configure correctly. Anyone know what they are? 2) is there any other trouble shooting or repair or is the switch junk if no power is outbound? 3) will the 40350 work with Intellitec EMS? 4) should the generator run with the switch out but the coach batteries recharged? 5) any reason I can't replace on my own? 6) will the slide-outs run with the switch down? I gave one a bump and it was reluctant to go.
Genevatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevatexan View Post
Our inbound power transfer switch shut down sometime this week and we found it Saturday. The coach batteries were discharged (coach and batteries new to us in Aug). I have inbound power at switch verified, but no power into the coach. We charged the house batteries with an external charger, and were lucky they came back up. This is a 2007 American Tradition with a model 40250 Surge Guard and an Intellitec EMS. We also tried to start the generator and the switch flashes but now won't start. Questions: 1) I read here that the 40350 switch (40250 discontinued) will fit the coach but may have to settings we must set to configure correctly. Anyone know what they are? 2) is there any other trouble shooting or repair or is the switch junk if no power is outbound? 3) will the 40350 work with Intellitec EMS? 4) should the generator run with the switch out but the coach batteries recharged? 5) any reason I can't replace on my own? 6) will the slide-outs run with the switch down? I gave one a bump and it was reluctant to go.
General response only.

First, have you inspected the inside of the transfer switch by removing the cover? You may find loose or disconnected terminal lugs are the problem, especially the ones that lead from the switch to the main panel in the coach.

The generator may not be starting because I believe it needs to detect a load of some kind, if only the load to the power panel. I am not certain of that, but I had a coach with a manual plug for the generator to the panel, and the generator would not start unless that plug was in the socket.

You should be able to change out the switch yourself if you have access and basic skills. It is fairly straight forward. Your slides operate off of the batteries, so they should be able to operate without any ac power at the coach.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:

I would verify that both house probably (4) batteries are fully charge 12.6 volts or higher on your panel and chassis batteries are fully charged. Start engine which is suppose to be running operating slides per fleetwood. Make sure salesman switch is on and chassis switch is on also. To start genny hold down start button it should prime then start keep holding down till it starts.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
trouble shooting so far

Pulled the cover on the Surge Guard and did not find any obvious failures. No blackened parts, or ruptured items on the circuit board- relay looks ok, main two power blocks don't show any failure. My analog voltage meter on the house batteries reads about 13.4 volts. We run 4 6 volt house batteries wire positive to negative to acheive two 12 volts units. Shore power plugged in was hot on inbound, cold on outbound and no "whump" when unplugged and plugged back in. Does the engine charge the house batteries when running or must they charge from shorepower or generator? Generator start sounds a fast speed clicking but no turnover.
Genevatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #5

Shore power plugged in was hot on inbound, cold on outbound
Is this inside the Surge Guard?
Does the engine charge the house batteries when running or must they charge from shorepower or generator?
Most do from the engine. Run it and measure the batt. voltage before and after. (with external charger off)
Generator start sounds a fast speed clicking but no turnover.
That sounds like the generator fuel pump 'clicking'. Measure the battery volts while trying to start generator, volts should stay above 12V.
EDIT: But the clicking could be the generator starter (if the battery volts drop too low)
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

Diesel generators will click while warming the glow plugs and then start cranking and start.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Pulled the cover on the Surge Guard and did not find any obvious failures. No blackened parts, or ruptured items on the circuit board- relay looks ok, main two power blocks don't show any failure. My analog voltage meter on the house batteries reads about 13.4 volts. We run 4 6 volt house batteries wire positive to negative to acheive two 12 volts units. Shore power plugged in was hot on inbound, cold on outbound and no "whump" when unplugged and plugged back in. Does the engine charge the house batteries when running or must they charge from shorepower or generator? Generator start sounds a fast speed clicking but no turnover.
The lack of "whump" indicates the contacts are not closing, IMO, and that would account for the lack of power through to the panel.

The engine will charge the chassis batteries first, then should switch to the house batteries so both sets eventually get charged. The opposite sequence happens when on shore power or generator.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
General response only.

First, have you inspected the inside of the transfer switch by removing the cover? You may find loose or disconnected terminal lugs are the problem, especially the ones that lead from the switch to the main panel in the coach.

The generator may not be starting because I believe it needs to detect a load of some kind, if only the load to the power panel. I am not certain of that, but I had a coach with a manual plug for the generator to the panel, and the generator would not start unless that plug was in the socket.

You should be able to change out the switch yourself if you have access and basic skills. It is fairly straight forward. Your slides operate off of the batteries, so they should be able to operate without any ac power at the coach.
Agreed! Open it up and check things. While it's unplugged from shore power and gen off of course. Mine kept "opening" when on shore power. Opened it up and a terminal was lose. Got torque from manufacturer. Tightened and problem gone.
meebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
What switch?

Intellitec is a Load shedding device. Not a true EMS Protective device. It turns off 6 selected circuits.

It sounds like your battery disconnect got turned off. Light will show that voltage is present at the switch. Not whether it is on or off.

Battery disconnect will keep some drain on the battery for safety. CO. LP Stereo for clock and presets.

get your batteries load checked. Battery disconnect must be on for interior lights and control circuits if not plugged into shore power with the converter on.

slides will not work with the disconnect off.

Tags
led, surge guard