Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

Swap Thetford toilet for dometic 320?

Have a 1992 34ft bounder wanting to update toilet was double checking specs was wondering if anyone else has done this before? Says dometic 310 requires 10 inches from wall to flange... 320 calls for 11 inches. Haven't pulled the Thetford yet so hard to get a good look at center. Wanted to have everything ready to go pull old and throw in the new one. Just curious to see if anyone has any experience it's already a small space....
Badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #2

Dometic 310 Dimensions.....and it is 10" to 'centerline' of floor flange (minimum)

Dometic 320 dimensions.....and it is 11" to 'centerline' of floor flange (minimum)

On both of those the 'hold down' bolts are in centerline positions of floor flange (3 & 9 o'clock)

Which Thetford model is your current toilet?
If flange bolts are 3 & 9 O'clock then you can use them to measure 'centerline' of floor flange.

When installing do not over tighten the hold down nuts......they only need 30-40 INCH Pounds of torque
INCH Pounds not Foot Pounds---basically hand tighten then SNUG up equally back/forth so toilet evenly compresses floor flange foam gasket
Toilet base should sit flush with floor

Most Thetfords can be directly replaced with the 310/320 toilets

Also now is good time to add/install a shutoff valve on toilet water line so it can be isolated w/o having to shut off all water
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1. If you can find your Thetford model you should be able to find a drawing to compare to those above. That will give your answer.

2. At least some Thetfords have a different hold-down bolt arrangement. A friend had that experience on his older Dutch Star. There are adapters available.

3. Old Biscuit is absolutely right about adding a shut-off valve while there!

It is very easy to swap out a toilet. Three years ago I removed the Dometic 210 and installed a 310 in less than hour! That included careful clean-up and being super-cautious because I'd never done one before. Three months ago I replaced it with the 320 in a similar amount of time.

I didn't put in the shut-off and have regretted it several times since. Reason: one should smear plumber's grease on the flap and seal periodically, so you want to have no water there while doing so.

BTW, the 310 is the best flushing RV toilet I've ever experienced, and I miss it. No need for a sprayer to remove skid marks. The elongated 320 is much more comfortable and I'll stick with it, but you definitely need the sprayer.

If Dometic can figure out how to get the same swirling action (as the 310) into a 320 upgrade, I'll swap toilets again!
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #4

Currently have the Thetford galaxy Starlite. Looks like I've got 11 off of the wall for the flange. I think I'm going to pick up a 320 and swap out hopefully don't run into many headaches. Going to call this morning see if I can find one locally.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:26 AM   #5

Needed a little more clearance

We replaced our Thetford with the Dometic but needed about an inch more clearance for the water line and had to cut a notch in the trim panel behind the toilet to make room. Not a big problem but did require three trips to the hardware store to settle on the right fittings.
LewBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewBob View Post
We replaced our Thetford with the Dometic but needed about an inch more clearance for the water line and had to cut a notch in the trim panel behind the toilet to make room. Not a big problem but did require three trips to the hardware store to settle on the right fittings.
Sounds more like the luck I'll have with mine lol always run into something
Old 01-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkarma View Post
Sounds more like the luck I'll have with mine lol always run into something

If you don't make at least TWO trips to hardware store you are NOT doing the job right
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
If you don't make at least TWO trips to hardware store you are NOT doing the job right [emoji23]
New toilet installed.... Managed to get it in one shot. Had to go with the smaller one due to our tiny bathroom. But went ahead and replaced the flooring and installed some baseboard while I was in there before setting new toilet. Honestly think trying to get to the bolt on the back of the old one was the worst part 😁
Click image for larger version

Name:	1514953571589.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	187601

Tags
dometic, ford, toilet