Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Tecma toilet fails to flush

Trying to help a friend with a 2016 American Coach Revolution LE 43’ with two toilets. Toilets are Thetford Tecma. I cannot find a model number anywhere on the unit. It is a two-button control plus an indicator that glows green if tank is not full and red if it is full.

His FRONT toilet works normally. When flushed, it adds water, the macerator pump turns on and empties the bowl, then it refills with a small amount of water.

The REAR toilet failed to flush this morning. At first, for only a short time, the RED “tank full” light was on. It later changed to green. His tank is almost completely empty. It filled with water as normal, but it does not empty. I do not hear a sound like the pump running (or trying to run), so I don’t think it is clogged. I think the pump could have failed, but it seems more likely it is not being activated. I cannot locate any sort of contactor in the vicinity. Also, it seems the motor wiring would be protected by a circuit breaker or fuse which I cannot locate, either.

Strangely enough, no battery disconnect or fuse I can find on this coach will extinguish the touch-button panel. And while trying to diagnose what is happening, the two buttons on the panel were BOTH BLINKING GREEN. I have tried holding one or both buttons for 6-10 seconds. In either case, it only adds water and does not flush.

I’m hoping someone can suggest something short of removing the toilet. There are no removable panels near the toilet that reveal any wiring other than the control wires going to the touch-panel. I will remove the toilet if necessary. We are presently in the Colorado mountain wilderness near Westcliffe.

TIA
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #2

The 'controller' is inside the toilet

12VDC/40A fused dedicated circuit feds power to the controller
*Red & Black 8ga wires.....separate wires.
Wall Panel
*Red & Black 14 ga wires....sheathed cable

Level sensors plug into the controller
*4 wire sheathed cable (Red/Black and Green/White wires)
Pump Motor
*Black & Brown wires

No Light --------indicates OFF or NO Power

Green Light......indicates Power to controller to panel
Yellow Light.....indicates tank at least half full
RED ....indicates full tank/lockout
*Over-ride lockout----Push/hold FLUSH button for 8 seconds

Push/hold BOTH buttons..water level control
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Thanks, Old Biscuit! I guess I'll have to pull the toilet. Hope it has a reusable seal.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Thanks, Old Biscuit! I guess I'll have to pull the toilet. Hope it has a reusable seal.

There is NO floor Flange seal because it uses a macerator/pump with hose

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...enceRV-Eng.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #5

Van. I just pulled mine sunday some one had put a wipe in rear toilet jammed up pumppulled off hose and pulled pump and motor out removed wipa and reassembled all work great now

Duane L
2016 American Eagle 45A
Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I'd call Thetford before I pulled the toilet.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:42 PM   #7

Problem solved!

Thanks for the help from all you guys. It turns out it was a paper towel flushed down the toilet that clogged the macerator. My bad and my mis-diagnosis. Removed the toilet, disassembled the macerator and removed the clog. Everything OK now. But helping my friend sucked up almost a day of my trip.

Maybe it's just that I've become an old fart, but the idea of replacing a toilet with a simple flush valve and handheld rinser that uses less than a pint of water for a #1 and not much more than a quart for a #2...with something that uses a lot more water, uses electronic controls, and is subject to frequent clogs and electronic malfunctions...Is that technological advance, or just using technology for technology's sake and making a simple function become less reliable and a bear to service?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #8

I've thought about replacing the electric Tecma toilets with a manual model. Sometimes technology is not an improvement.
Tigerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfred View Post
I've thought about replacing the electric Tecma toilets with a manual model. Sometimes technology is not an improvement.
That will work if your toilets sit on top of the black tank. The tecma toilet is the only reliable non gravity ones available. Yes there are vacuum toilets but they have a lot of problems too.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:11 AM   #10

I like my Tecma so much that if I owned a house, I'd put one in it.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Tecma works fine as long as used as described in the manual.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #12
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
That will work if your toilets sit on top of the black tank. The tecma toilet is the only reliable non gravity ones available. Yes there are vacuum toilets but they have a lot of problems too.

Yup, my Tecma is in the mid 1/2 bath because the fluids need to be pumped to the rear black tank.

Ray
Old 01-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
had same problem wet wipe clogged lucky nothing hurt just didn't work not fun but removed disassembled put back in all good no more wet wipes
duaneb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecm, tecma, toilet