Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

The hits just keep on coming!

Hubby had been fighting a leak around the skylight in our 07 revolution LE purchased three years ago from Day Bros Rv in Corbin Ky. HUGE mistake. Keep finding things that as newbies we didn't know to look for. Last week, uncovered that it is not just the skylight leaking despite hubby's best efforts. Had seen "bubbles" in the wall paper when we bought it. Wallpaper mistake, right. Nope. Knew we were going to re paper since we were going to replace skylight and ceiling around it,perfect time. Tore off a section of the bubble - wall is wet and covered in mold. So is wall by commode. Gonna have to gut it. But, how do you get the cabinetry out of the back without destroying it? We cannot find how it is attached. Yesterday, we we told by a different dealer that we are going to have to replace the whole roof. Goodbye money! So angry at our ignorance in buying this coach. Since we have to buy a new roof we really need to DIY the interior but really don't want to mess up the cabinetry since it looks great. Suggestions? Directions? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
MamaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

We bought an 03 Allegro Bus from Day Bros. in 2013 and would buy from them again. That being said, this was not our first experience with rv's and we knew there were roof leaks at sale time. We agreed to buy at a negotiated price and I would repair the roof. I had previous experience with roof repairs and had some idea of what to expect.

Don't be too discouraged. Your Revolution has a fiberglass roof, and the fiberglass itself should not be an issue. It likely is all of the sealants around the perimeter of the roof and around roof penetrations. First, stop the leaks. Inspect all sealants and remove the failed sealants and replace them. There are a number of products for this including Dicor sealants, Sika Sealants and Eternabond repair tape. Just be meticulous in cleaning and prepping before applying the new sealants. Scrape off all of the old sealant, clean the surface with mineral spirits and again with denatured alcohol. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations for installing the sealants. There are also various epoxies that can be used to restore damaged wood below the fiberglass. Look at West Marine or the Rot Doctor websites and see what they have. All sealants on the rv should be inspected twice each year and repaired or replaced as needed.

After the leaks are repaired, run a dehumidifier in the coach to dry it out after the wet wall paper is removed. Most coaches use vinyl wallpaper that traps water, so remove it and let the wood dry. You can kill mold with a mix of bleach and water. Replace any wood that is damaged beyond repair. If it is sound, treat the wood with a good primer and re-wallpaper.

As for the cabinets, they are attached with screws to the coach framework. Finding them won't necessarily be easy, but a handheld metal detector will help.

Good luck with your repairs. Living with an rv is just like having a boat or a beach house. You will always have something to keep you occupied!
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

What could be that wrong with a 1 piece fiberglass roof that needs replacing. Did they give you a price my guess 10-15 k.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

The hits just keep on coming.

There is a place in the back, over the rear bathroom, that when Phil scraped off all the old sealant he found screws had been used to hold up/cover something and the area under it has a fair amount of give. We are afraid to cut around it to see what's going on. Going to look at it from the inside once we get all the ceiling down. Appt in four weeks for the roof. Guy told us around 10k depending on what they find underneath. Didn't talk about patching so I guess that's not an option. I've seen an "infomercial" on something called RV Armor but can't find anything reviewing it so a little hesitant. Thought I'd call Fleetwood tomorrow. I feel bad for him cause he has worked on this coach since we got it. We knew to expect upkeep and maintenance, but this has been one major thing after another. Has anyone taken their coach to the Fleetwood shop in Indiana?
Old 06-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post

Don't be too discouraged. Your Revolution has a fiberglass roof, and the fiberglass itself should not be an issue. It likely is all of the sealants around the perimeter of the roof and around roof penetrations. First, stop the leaks. Inspect all sealants and remove the failed sealants and replace them. There are a number of products for this including Dicor sealants, Sika Sealants and Eternabond repair tape. Just be meticulous in cleaning and prepping before applying the new sealants. Scrape off all of the old sealant, clean the surface with mineral spirits and again with denatured alcohol. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations for installing the sealants. There are also various epoxies that can be used to restore damaged wood below the fiberglass. Look at West Marine or the Rot Doctor websites and see what they have. All sealants on the rv should be inspected twice each year and repaired or replaced as needed.

After the leaks are repaired, run a dehumidifier in the coach to dry it out after the wet wall paper is removed. Most coaches use vinyl wallpaper that traps water, so remove it and let the wood dry. You can kill mold with a mix of bleach and water. Replace any wood that is damaged beyond repair. If it is sound, treat the wood with a good primer and re-wallpaper.

As for the cabinets, they are attached with screws to the coach framework. Finding them won't necessarily be easy, but a handheld metal detector will help.

Good luck with your repairs. Living with an rv is just like having a boat or a beach house. You will always have something to keep you occupied!
I agree 100 percent, I would NOT have that roof replaced till all other means are exhausted, just my opinion,sounds like a penetration issue. Keep the 10 grand in your pocket till all else fails,IMHO. good luck, don't feel alone,everyone has issues with these big rolling turds from time to time.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
An RV is a money pit!
Bought the Magna in Feb, cost us over $140,000 to buy out the contract on the Dutch Star and the down payment on the Magna, drove it 2,600 miles and the engine blew up, $33,000 repairs, cost to us was $22,000 and Cummins paid about $10,400. Closed out my IRA to pay our part.
DW was terminated from her job April 30th after three years of short and long term disability so had to go on COBRA at over $1,400/mo.
Earlier this month the DW was diagnosed with liver cancer, still trying to find out how bad it is. CT and full body scan coming up on July 1.
Money can be replaced in most cases!
So, hang in there, it could be FAR worse!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
My suggestion is to get some help. Posting photos - and going to forums that are particular to your make model may help. If you're going to pay someone to do the roof, you may be able to get some advice on doing the interior. Most of it isn't complicated, but there's that learning curve of first time initial disassembly.

Again, post photos - likely someone here has taken it apart.

I'd be surprised if you need an "entire" roof repair on an 07. Most of the RVs that I see that leak are largely from lack of care. Have you been up on the roof and looked at the caulk? Cause that's where you want to start. Verify everything a repair shop tells you and make sure their references are straight before dropping that kind of change.

RVs are expensive - but in your case this could have been avoided if you had an honest dealer (ha!) or a good independent inspection. As that's neither here nor there, let's get you going as best and inexpensively as possible. Check RV Service Reviews
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

Here's wishing your wife a good diagnosis, Mr. D. I am so sorry to hear about her illness combined with all this stuff with your RV. I've been down a similar road and I know how tough that can be. Best wishes to you both.

An IRV2 Newby
GA Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a rubber roof, and even for me, replacing it would be a last resort. Also, why would the entire roof need replacement?

I think you are being conned. Watch out.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #10

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I've told myself there are far more serious and worse things. Mr. D., I am so sorry for your problems and the health issues you guys are facing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hubby has scrapped and cleaned all the old caulk away and has applied the Dicor products. Supposed to rain this weekend so we'll see.

It was really ugly when we got inside. I'm going to try to attach pics.

There is positive news. We were able to salvage the corner shower. He and a friend removed it the other day. We scraped away all the rotten luan, dried it out and last night I painted it with a mold killer/primer. Today, I papered the area where the shower goes so it could be set back in so we can attack the rest of the bathroom.

Now the big decision - and I have been outvoted - is the flooring. I want to remove the old tile and carpet and replace it with vinyl planking that has a cork back for insulation, water resistance and, well, it's just pretty! Hubby and friend are afraid to take out the commode so they say the ugly tile has to stay. Can't win em all.....until I learn to do some of this stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	commode wall.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	98937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower wall.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	98938  

Old 07-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
WOW!! That's a lot of water damage!!!!!!!!!!

You're going to want to find a shop and have them reseal everything - to include the bolts that attach the roof to the wall. If you look along your roof line where it curves into each other, there's bolts all the way along. Sometimes they literally shake out, sometimes someone removes and replaces one without sealing it.

When I owned my REV, I was on a yearly seal routine, where I would take to my local guy, and he checked everything that might need to be sealed and resealed.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your on the right track. DO NOT replace the fiberglass roof. You may have delaminated insulation, ceiling vinyl etc that will need to be removed and replaced but the roof is a one piece moulded section. If cracked or damaged it can be repaired easily. Keep us posted we'll try to help answer questions. Hang in there!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #13

Mamakat, I feel so sorry for you guys. Do you think Day Brothers knew about the extent of the damage when they sold you the coach? If so I would be making a stink to see if they can help in any way.

We looked at a coach they had before we bought our current coach. It was a great deal, but looking at it in the dead of winter we came up with a list of problems from dead mice in traps, to missing windshield wiper rubber. This after the salesman told me the coach had just had gone through a 100 point checklist. The more I looked the more I found. We passed on that coach.

I see you guys are from Neon/Fleming. We lived in Cumberland back in the mid 70's working on highway 119. Currently we live in Winchester.

Hang in there and I sure hope you get this coach in working order very soon.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

BigD9, It's hard to believe they didn't know since we've torn out basically everything in the bathroom and found signs that this is long term and on top, found several things that Fleetwood tells us should not be there. We bought the coach in July, and between the purchase and when we got it home, they had it all but three weeks in their shops, supposedly fixing all the things we found wrong. Should've realized then what we'd gotten ourselves into, but we were trusting folks and believed their lines. Live and learn!

Cumberland! Just over Pine Mountain. Pretty good rivalries with our old high schools before everyone consolidated. Now, Letcher Central and Harlan Central carry on that tradition. LOL

Thanks again everyone. It is a BIG learning curve for us. I think reading all of these messages about not doing the whole roof may be swaying hubby's thinking. When you have limited experience/knowledge, it's hard to dismiss the professional opinion. That's why I joined the board. I am finding that RVers have a lot of knowledge and are so willing to share. I am very thankful for this forum.