Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #1

Thermostat Readings

Good Morning Fellow Campers,
The Discovery LXE 39F has two air conditioners. The rear air conditioner, the temperature setting and the temperature reading seem to be pretty much in line no matter the temperature outside.
The front air conditioner seems to be pretty much in line except for hot days. We've noticed many times the front temperature being set at 75 or so, but the temperature reading can be 80 to 85 degrees. With this situation, the front air conditioner never stops running (it does not feel like 80-85 degrees in the RV).

Have any of you run into this situation with your RV?
Thanks !!!!
hfd774853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #2

Yeah. Is the temperature sensor located on a cabinet above the driver's seat? If so, the inside of that cabinet is closer to the outside temperature than to the inside temperature, and that's what the sensor is sensing. I had my sensor moved out onto the map light arm, where it actually reads the inside temperature. Worked like a charm. Covered the wires with wire loom, you can barely tell it's there. BTW, you'll have the same problem in very cold temps, too, where the furnace runs all the time.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the sun is shining on the same side as the sensor it will throw off the temp. I have to increase the thermostat temp otherwise it will run and run, freezing you out.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
If the sun is shining on the same side as the sensor it will throw off the temp. I have to increase the thermostat temp otherwise it will run and run, freezing you out.

X-2 and also it’s makes it cooler than temp is set to.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Yeah. Is the temperature sensor located on a cabinet above the driver's seat? If so, the inside of that cabinet is closer to the outside temperature than to the inside temperature, and that's what the sensor is sensing. I had my sensor moved out onto the map light arm, where it actually reads the inside temperature. Worked like a charm. Covered the wires with wire loom, you can barely tell it's there. BTW, you'll have the same problem in very cold temps, too, where the furnace runs all the time.
Would love to see a pic
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscarps View Post
Would love to see a pic
Here you go. Fleetwood left the old temp sensor in place (but disconnected) as a spare. It appeared that there was plenty of wire to relocate the original. If nothing else, it's just plain old wire so you can just cut and splice. They just ran the wires through the hole where the map light wires go. As a bonus, you can move the map light and sensor up and down to compensate somewhat for stratification. Seriously, this mod works great. Easy peasy do it yourself job. Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO_20190309_143121.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	237422
Old 03-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Here you go. Fleetwood left the old temp sensor in place (but disconnected) as a spare. It appeared that there was plenty of wire to relocate the original. If nothing else, it's just plain old wire so you can just cut and splice. They just ran the wires through the hole where the map light wires go. As a bonus, you can move the map light and sensor up and down to compensate somewhat for stratification. Seriously, this mod works great. Easy peasy do it yourself job. Attachment 237422
Thank you! I've been looking for some ideas to relocate the sensor but wanted it to look good too
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscarps View Post
Thank you! I've been looking for some ideas to relocate the sensor but wanted it to look good too
As a temp fix I just removed the screws and left the temp sensor hanging down a few inches until Fleetwood came up with this idea.

One of the other problems you can have with the factory setup is that in really cold weather the front furnace will run all the time. That can prevent the rear furnace from coming on as often as it should, which can cause your wet bay to freeze. I always set the front thermostat a few degrees colder than the rear so that the wet bay gets enough heat.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

Thank you all for your responses.
I thought maybe it was the location of the sensor, or maybe a defective sensor. I'll work at getting it moved, in the meantime keeping the thermostat adjusted.
hfd774853 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat