RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #1

Thermostat, unit or both?

I have a weird thing going on with the front AC unit on my 1998 American Tradition.

I have the original analog coleman mach thermostat, I can come in and slide it up to AC and 99.9 percent of the time the AC will come on. Saturday while I was doing some work in the motorhome it worked fine.

Yesterday I went back out to finish up my work and I flipped it to cool and nothing. I slide it down one notch to fan and it may or may not come on. I went back and forth between ac and fan and the fan finally came on, let it run for a minute and the up to AC. The AC didn't come on. After a few different attempts the AC finally came on. It ran great for the few hours I was doing stuff. I turned it off and played with my son all afternoon. Went back in after dark and the AC came right on.

So does it sound like a thermostat problem or maybe something on the unit problem?
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

I ordered a new digital thermostat since I'm pretty sure that whats wrong with it. I will get on the roof this weekend and check/ clean the connections on the unit too.

Going camping at Ft Wilderness at Disney World in October and I sure don't need it messing up.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

We don’t have the same system but some of the mechanics are the same. Ours acted very similar and had to install new start and run capacitors in AC unit. Blower fan is supposed to come on first then compressor. If compressor fails to start the unit would either not come on at all or cycle on and off trying to restart compressor. Caps finally blew, after I replaced all the caps the unit starts every time.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #4

Thanks!!
I was thinking the same thing last night, even thought about buying a hard start kit. We are taking our son to Disney World in October and the roof AC's have to work or the wife will not be a happy camper.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think your a/c already has hard start capacitor in each a/c, but it could well be failing by now. Pull the top cover off and take a look (the caps are usually in a metal box) and see, and get the spec (microfarads) for the new caps. There will also be a "run device" (relay). You can buy them on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

You can jumper around the thermostat to see if that's the problem - it's just a +12v signal on the wire to the a/c controller. If the a/c runs fine that way, you know the thermostat is the problem.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #6

Sunday the AC acted funny but the rest of the week it has worked perfectly. I ordered a new RV digital thermostat off on Amazon last week. I installed it today and it worked perfectly. I'm going to look into replacing the caps. Might be cheap insurance to just go ahead and replace them.

Tags
thermostat