RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #1

Thoughts on Motor Home Insurance?

What's your opinion on the best insurance for your class A?

Good Sam?

AAA?

Progressive?

What company do you insure through and are you satisfied with them?
RoadTripN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 11:50 PM   #2

Foremost. Yes
Old 08-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Progressive full time insurance
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Allstate, I carry liability only. no problems. We turn the issuance off when its in storage and turn it on (maybe 4 month out of the year) when we use it.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Allstate, I carry liability only. no problems. We turn the issuance off when its in storage and turn it on (maybe 4 month out of the year) when we use it.

What do you say when you want to turn it off? My agent seems clueless when I talk about itor ask how it works.

jbwilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What do you say when you want to turn it off? My agent seems clueless when I talk about itor ask how it works.
I call my broker and tell him its in storage and I want to turn off the insurance.

A week or so later, I get a refund check for the duration of the policy.

When I turn it back on, I get a bill for the next duration (one year)

Last year they implemented a 30 day policy. The minimum coverage period is 30 days. i.e. I can't call them two weeks after turning it on, to turn it off.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Thoughts on Motor Home Insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post

You cancel insurance to save a few bucks and the storage place burns down and your out is how it could work. If itís worth nothing a good idea.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
You cancel insurance to save a few bucks and the storage place burns down and your out is how it could work. If itís worth nothing a good idea.
That's how it would work anyway because he said he carries liability only when he does have insurance.

I have had progressive for all my travel trailers and now my moho. I've had 1 claim for damage while driving. Progressive paid to total the unit and let me keep it. Was quick and painless. So a win win for me.

Have had no other claims with other agencies so cant speak to their worth.

-E
BigEvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have NG through GS - full coverage and have never had to use it. If I know I'm not going to use it for a month I put it in storage which doesn't shut off my insurance; rather it just suspends my driving insurance but it is covered for damage. Call and turn it back on but must be for at least 30 days. They send me a refund check for what is not used and when I call to take it out of storage they send me a bill for the coverage. NG also has a 72 hour maintenance coverage while in storage. I just call and tell them I need to take DP out of storage of Maintenance and I'm covered.
NG covers my DP and everything in it. IF I have an accident or my DP is vandalized I file one claim whereas when I had State Farm I had to file 2 claims, one on the RV policy and the other on my homeowner policy - what a drag!

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 08-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Like above, I have my insurance through Good Sam. Call them, they'll check around and get you the best deal.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #11

I currently have mine through Allstate, I had State Farm for the first year with the current coach as that is where I have my car insurance, after the first year the rates were going to go up $300 per year with no claims, so I comparison shopped and found Allstate had a comparable policy for about $300 per year less than I had been paying at State Farm. 1 claim since then for a broken windshield, paid the $250 deductible and their preferred vendor shipped the windshield to a local installer that I have used in the past. My agent says this claim will not effect my rates, as it is categorized as wind blown object damage, renewal should be coming up in a few weeks so we will see. There have been a few trivial rate increases since I switched to Allstate totaling less than $25 per year.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripN View Post
What's your opinion on the best insurance for your class A?

Good Sam?

AAA?

Progressive?

What company do you insure through and are you satisfied with them?
That all depends on your lifestyle. If your going to be living in it full time and traveling. We found only a few companies that would cover us. We did end up going through Good Sam with National General. They offered the best deal out of the five we found.
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My answer is more vague: the company that gives me the best rates for the coverages I want. In my opinion there is no one company that is best for everybody, whether "best" is defined by available packages, types of coverage available, or premium rates. Nor have I found that there is any significant difference in customer service or claims pay-offs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance