Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tioga class C need more A/C

31m with current 15k roof unit does not cut it in 102 degree heat here in south texas, I have checked delta "t" and have a 25 degree drop from intake to exhaust, installed Coleman chill grill which helped some, have reflective on most windows. There is no spare 14x14 opening in the rear bedroom, anyone have any ideas, not a fan of redneck portable ac units.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
avfordguy --

For a capital project assignment in the Texas Panhandle a few years ago I used the 30 foot travel trailer I had at the time as my temporary home for 18 months. You are using the "tricks of the trade" I used during the hot summer months. One idea that helped some for me somewhat was to have the curb side (entry door side) of your motorhome facing into the western sun and extend your awning to shade that side of your motorhome from the hot afternoon sun. I also cleaned the roof once per month to keep it as white as possible as there were many, many days of blowing dust in the Panhandle that covered the roof in red dirt.

Even with using all of these "tricks" the inside of my travel trailer would be ~78 F on a 100+ F day. I also used two 12" oscillating fans inside the trailer to help with air movement which helped me "feel" cooler. The trailer had a 14" skylight/vent above the master bed but I didn't invest in the cost of a second A/C.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

Go jump in the lake? That's hot, what's your humidity about 199%, and I'm sure it's not much better in the shade? I see no real cool way of cooling off outside of relocating to a cooler area or find a meat locker you can hang out in till it cools off. I know this doesn't help but Good Luck.
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #4

25 degree drop? Your evaporator coil might be extremely dirty, reducing the airflow.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coleman spec is 18-22 degrees delta t, that's the difference from intake air to discharge air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
25 degree drop? Your evaporator coil might be extremely dirty, reducing the airflow.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Coleman spec is 18-22 degrees delta t, that's the difference from intake air to discharge air.
Yeah. You're running out of spec. Either you have reduced airflow over the evaporator or you have a refrigerant leak. The first thing to do is to clean the evaporator.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems to me that he's out of spec in a good way. Coleman says he can expect an 18-22 degree drop in temperature from intake to outgo. He's getting a 25 degree drop, that's a good thing.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
It seems to me that he's out of spec in a good way. Coleman says he can expect an 18-22 degree drop in temperature from intake to outgo. He's getting a 25 degree drop, that's a good thing.
Well then, now he has a choice. He can take your advice and do nothing, or he can take mine and check his evaporator.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 AM   #9

Our friends also have a Tioga 31 or 32 footer which came with only 1 AC unit. They had a local shop install a second AC unit in the bedroom, which did not have a vent in the ceiling. The second unit requires a separate extension cord to plug into the pedestal. With the 2 AC units going, you can hang meat in that RV. Don't know the cost, but the both claim it was worth it. Now they do not hesitate to go out during the hot Texas summers.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
avfordguy,

We had a 31-M as well. One time up at the lake with a bunch of people, they kept going in and out constantly....letting flies an hot air in all afternoon. It was over 100 outside. Same issue as yours, except somewhat user inflicted. We only had the coach a few years and then traded for our present class A. I loved that Jamboree and still miss it. Anyway, Unless I'm missing something- a second ac would seem the fix. I don't think that under the hot circumstances you've got there that 1 unit is going to be completely satisfactory. Good luck- you have a nice rig there otherwise.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #11

We had window awnings installed. Keeping the sun off of the windows helps a lot.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Filters are clean, and evaporator looks like new,condensor has been cleaned, very little dirt came out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Well then, now he has a choice. He can take your advice and do nothing, or he can take mine and check his evaporator.

Tags
class c