Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #1

Tire pressure and weight

Sorry I know this has been gone over many times but I am still confused. Just had my 2021 Bounder 33C weighed, not 4 corner but just axle weighed. Front axle 6620 lbs. Rear 14680 lbs. Do I divide the front by 2 and the rear by 4 and than go to the inflation chart?
Ausable is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's what I would do.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #3

Correct. But that is also why one needs to do a 4 corner weigh.
Originally I thought I did an awesome job loading "stuff" into the RV. Then I did a 4 corner weigh and one side was over 400 lbs more than the other side in the front.
In that case, you always use the higher weight for the pressure on the whole axle.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:24 AM   #4

If you have 22.5 size tires I would not run under 100 psi no matter what the chart says. I experienced cupping in the front tires when I followed the chart at 90 psi. It was a $700 mistake.. new tires needed. No more cupping with the higher pressure.

The rears are a little different since there are 2 of them sharing the load. You may get by with a little less pressure... but to what benefit? I keep them at 100 psi also..
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
If you have 22.5 size tires I would not run under 100 psi no matter what the chart says. I experienced cupping in the front tires when I followed the chart at 90 psi. It was a $700 mistake.. new tires needed. No more cupping with the higher pressure.

The rears are a little different since there are 2 of them sharing the load. You may get by with a little less pressure... but to what benefit? I keep them at 100 psi also..
Ran into the same cupping issue at 90PSI on Michelin 22,5's that were 9 years old. But this is how the rig was when I bought it. Have since replaced all 6 tires with Sumitomo tires all the way around @110 recommended pressure.

Comparing the Michelins to the Sumitomo ST719's, like the Sumitomo's better, softer rubber, more of it, and a more squared off tire profile. (made in Japan), not China.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Ran into the same cupping issue at 90PSI on Michelin 22,5's that were 9 years old. But this is how the rig was when I bought it. Have since replaced all 6 tires with Sumitomo tires all the way around @110 recommended pressure.

Comparing the Michelins to the Sumitomo ST719's, like the Sumitomo's better, softer rubber, more of it, and a more squared off tire profile. (made in Japan), not China.
I just replaced Sumitomo 718s on the front with Sumitomo 719s because of cupping caused by running 90 psi. Running 100 psi now (may go higher if needed). I also added Centramatics all the way around. Made a big difference, much smoother now.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
I just replaced Sumitomo 718s on the front with Sumitomo 719s because of cupping caused by running 90 psi. Running 100 psi now (may go higher if needed). I also added Centramatics all the way around. Made a big difference, much smoother now.

Tire psi has nothing to do with cupping. Cupping is a balance or alignment issue, so those Centramatics will probably help a lot.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
Sorry I know this has been gone over many times but I am still confused. Just had my 2021 Bounder 33C weighed, not 4 corner but just axle weighed. Front axle 6620 lbs. Rear 14680 lbs. Do I divide the front by 2 and the rear by 4 and than go to the inflation chart?

Basically YES, but be sure to allow a bit extra because the axle weight is often not evenly split between the two ends. If one end is carry 60% of the weight instead of 50%, the tire needs to be inflated more. With axle weight only you won't know which end is heavier, but it doesn't make any difference because all the tires on an axle must always be inflated to the same psi. It doesn't hurt to be a little high on the psi, so just assume one end is a little heavier than the other and choose the inflation table psi accordingly.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Yes that’s the basic approach, but if you do your 4 corners you might find that one is high enough to change your pressure by 5 lbs, maybe more.

When you do all four corners, you take the higher number on each axle, use that for the chart, and use the resulting tire pressure on BOTH sides of that axle.

5lbs may not sound like much, and I never thought it was except in racing, but I was just reading an article yesterday that made the case that it is enough to become a safety issue.

Edit: if you can’t do four corners, use Garys method above. Safety first!
Old 07-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Tire Pressure

Quote:
It sounds like allot of people have some good advise. I use Michelin’s tire guide. I set my pressure based on axel weight. On my coach I run 95# on the front and 85# on the back. The guide gives you pressure if using single and double I just use what ever it says, and I test pressure before I move the Coach.

Cupping however is usually caused by either worn suspension parts or an alignment.

Over inflated tire can will wear the center of your tire and cause you exceed the max pressure if running in hot claimant and under will wear the outside on both sides of the tire and cause excessive leading to failure.

If you find your tire is showing signs of wear just on one side chances are it’s an alignment issue.

If you really want to get it the book it gives ambient temp and cross reference to psi. Which I do not do.

2005 American Eagle 40j
skin-tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ran 100 psi with GY G670s, not enough, should have been 110. Book is wrong at 100. Got rivering, cupping, and poor wear.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I ran 100 psi with GY G670s, not enough, should have been 110. Book is wrong at 100. Got rivering, cupping, and poor wear.

Again, PSI was not the primary cause of these issues.

Tags
tire, tire pressure, weight