Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #1

Tire Replacement

Good evening,
Looking for some assistance with purchasing tires. The RV originally equipped with Michelin 275/70R22.5. Tire dates are 2017, however, lots of sidewall cracks.

I've been researching tires (availability seems to be slim in our area). A local dealer can get Dynatrac - RA200 which he can have in a couple of days.
I do not want tires made in China but I do want good quality, safe tires. I've heard to many stories about the Michelin tire and their sidewall cracking issues, so I'm steering away from them (no pun intended) at the moment.
Information I gathered on the Dynatrac:
  • RA200 regional all-position (15 sizes); and
Dynatrac is one of three truck tire brands offered by Hercules. The others are Hercules and Ironman. Dynatrac tires have a low tier 3 market position ó below the Hercules Strong Guard line and above the Ironman offering, Hercules said.
The tires are produced by Linglong Tire Thailand at its plant in Chonburi, Thailand, according to the tires' DOT plant ID code.
ATD predecessor Heafner Tire Co. trademarked the Dynatrac name in 1994.
It now is described as an associate brand of Hercules Tire, which ATD acquired in 2014. ATD is American Tire Distributors.

Any thoughts / comments are welcome.
hfd774853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

I use the same size tire and 4 years ago went with Yokohama ( made in Japan )
partially because they offered a winter tread tire in the size as well as all position . Trip to Alaska was planned at the time , and I thought the tread would be better on any gravel roads I encountered.

Very happy with the ride and handling , winter tread a little noisy , compared to Michelin all position . But winter tread mandatory 6 months of the year here in BC.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I bet winter tread is definitely needed in BC. We'll probably not travel a lot in wintry conditions.

I just read another article dated March 2018 that Hercules Tire now offers the Dynatrac brand. It's amazing how much tire ownership gets passed around.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:48 AM   #4

I also read Hercules is owned by Cooper Tire. Go figure
Old 04-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #5

For my money it's Goodyear Endurance RSA all the way. Put them on my Eagle and never looked back. RVtires.com
mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #6

Now going to another tire shop because the shop I went to cannot handle 16 ply tires. The new shop that handles trucks sells Michelin, Firestone, but not much for Dynatrac. Firestone seems to be a good brand, but they are checking for Good Years for me, at least for nothing else, price comparison. Michelin is so very pricey, and if it appears you have to replace tires in a 5-6 year window, I'm not sure going to the Michelin is the right move (I'm sure some will argue Michelin is the only way to go), but I've heard good results on several tire makes.

Thanks for the responses!!!
Old 05-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #7

Check becoming a FMCA member. Tire discounts have saved me $$$$
dadhanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Toyo's. I am on my second set and highly recommend the. My current set of 265/75 22.5 ran me $475 each installed
Old 05-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #9

Although mine is a gasser with 19.5 in. wheels, I went with Cooper Roadmasters. Long haul type truck tires. Love them. But whichever way you go, make sure to check date codes. I wouldn't accept any that are made more than 6 months prior to date of purchase. You would be surprised at how many multi years-old tires are in racks at dealers and being sold as "new".
gt350ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Five years old?/

And showing sidewall cracks? Strange. Do you cover your tires when parked for long periods of non-use? How about parking on dirt as well. On my fourth MH all had Michelin and I loved them. Drove one for 13 years, traded it with original tires (22.5) even though the rule of thumb is seven years for replacement. They showed no signs of sidewall or tread issues so I kept driving them. But then I am one of those nuts that takes care of his "stuff." LOL

Have talked to many folks who have used FMCA for tire replacement. You find a local tire dealer, pay FMCA the discounted price and they ship them to the tire guy and you pay for installation and balancing DO NOT forget to have them balanced!

Yes, I know Michelin's are somewhat pricey, but then, you get what you pay for. I would not blame Michelin for your sidewall cracking issue. To me that is a sign of neglect on the owner's part. Sorry.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #11

I’ve run Goodyears twice on 2 different pushers and didn’t care for them. In my opinion you can’t beat tires made in Japan; Toyo or Yokohama. I’m running Yokohama right now and 3 of the six tires didn’t require any balancing. All in for mounting, balancing, and tire disposal was $2,635.
rustandmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ran Sailun 19.5's on our old Jayco 33ss super "C".
Now I run Sailun 22.5's on our '04 Pace Arrow.
Balance beads in all 6 tires and she rides like glass.
Good wet traction, good wear and reasonable price.
22K on this set and they look like new.

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt B View Post
And showing sidewall cracks? Strange. Do you cover your tires when parked for long periods of non-use? How about parking on dirt as well. On my fourth MH all had Michelin and I loved them. Drove one for 13 years, traded it with original tires (22.5) even though the rule of thumb is seven years for replacement. They showed no signs of sidewall or tread issues so I kept driving them. But then I am one of those nuts that takes care of his "stuff." LOL

Have talked to many folks who have used FMCA for tire replacement. You find a local tire dealer, pay FMCA the discounted price and they ship them to the tire guy and you pay for installation and balancing DO NOT forget to have them balanced!

Yes, I know Michelin's are somewhat pricey, but then, you get what you pay for. I would not blame Michelin for your sidewall cracking issue. To me that is a sign of neglect on the owner's part. Sorry.
Jim..
Glad you had good luck with your Michelins.. Mine were showing some cracking at 4 years.. Talked to Michelin.. They said "Oh just cosmetic" so sorry.. Shortly after put my current Toyo's on.. Been great for 5 years.. Never go with Michelins again. I am too old to get another new michelins.. But no more on my cars or coaches... Best of luck and safe travels.. Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:33 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
I just replaced my 2 front Michelins due to cracking and river channeling. I went with Toyo after a bunch of research. I used motorhometires.com they came to my camp site and changed the tires. I heard the Michelins have a bad problem with cracking and river channeling. River channeling is a 1/2" wear area on the outside of the tire tread. I went to a Michelin dealer and he said that's a common problem with Michelins and Goodyear, I have no knowledge on Goodyear's doing this it's what he said. I also have 6 Hercules tires on the back of my coach and they have worn like iron and I notice no rough ride from them since I'm up front. I've put 28,000 miles on them in 3 years and won't change them until they time out. Since we have a tag and I'm 5000# underweight on the back if one of them blows I'm ok to stop. I have a TPMS and watch my pressure and make sure I'm within a pound on the pressure. I've talked with a lot of people who have Hercules tires and they swear by them, don't think I'd put them on the steer axle but drive and tag I'm ok with.
jimc79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, tire