Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tire Time

Greetings All;
Driving a 2002 Bounder 36S.
Had my tires about 3 years, plenty of tread, so I believe they are good for another 1-2 years. No dry issues that I see.
BUT, thinking about it, I am considering new ones:
Goodyear dealer has a few choices: Goodyear, Continental and Hercules.
Hercules is much cheaper.
But, they are 14 ply.
And A LOT less expensive.
Looking for some experienced folks to offer some opinions for me?
Thanks, really appreciate it.
John
John in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You are not limited to those brands, you can order tires from the internet and have them installed locally.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, that was my original intent. I am a computer guy, so use the internet for all my shopping.
Sadly, I have yet to find someone to install them locally if I buy them :(
Old 04-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Lots of options!

You might look into the ones I am ordering. After reading many posts here and elsewhere, discussing it with my knowledgable brother (many years with big rigs) and speaking with a couple of different shops with RV experience, I am ordering Hankook AH12's!
I am taking off Michelin's that are way past their lives. The common thought around is they are not worth the high price and no longer have the reputation they once deserved.
The install will be done by a Truck Center. The RV is afterall on a "Feightliner" chassis!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaterDoc View Post
You might look into the ones I am ordering. After reading many posts here and elsewhere, discussing it with my knowledgable brother (many years with big rigs) and speaking with a couple of different shops with RV experience, I am ordering Hankook AH12's!
I am taking off Michelin's that are way past their lives. The common thought around is they are not worth the high price and no longer have the reputation they once deserved.
The install will be done by a Truck Center. The RV is afterall on a "Feightliner" chassis!
Thanks, that seems like a very good idea. I shall use that as a good guide.
Thanks
Old 04-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can use any brand with the same size and an adequate load rating for your axle weight ratings. The ply rating is a virtual number of plies and indicative of the tire's max load rating , which is shown in the tire specs and on the sidewall as xxxx lbs @ yyy psi.

Some excellent brands with typically lower prices than Goodyear or Michelin include Firestone, BF Goodrich, Toyo, Hankook, Sumitomo, Yokohoma, and Cooper. Those Asian-sounding brands aren't cheap knock-offs - they are internationally respected brands with a solid track record. Superior to Hercules, in my opinion, but still lower priced than GY & Continental.

You didn't mention the tire size & load range on your Bounder, so hard to be very specific about it. If its the 235/80R22.5 size, be aware that 245/75R22.5 is an alternate for that size.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks, sorry, P245/70R19.5 I recall load range G...I think?
I have the Sumi's so will probably stay with those.
The coach now has, if I can see well enough, 10 ply. Seems like to few.
I will go with a set that has 14 now.
Thanks