Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #1

Tires

Hello All. I have a 97 American Eagle. Iím replacing my 5 year old sumitomo 295/75 R 22.5 with Goodyear endurance rsa 275/70R 22.5. Thought? Suggestions? FYI I live in an area where it is very hard to find a qualified RV anything. I currently use a truck shop for all of my chassis work and have been very happy. They donít do tires, so they recommended the tire shop across the street (Goodyear). I am a solo traveler and having the convenience of them taking it across the street is huge (not having to hook up tow dolly, car, unhooking, etc). Again, thoughts?
Chrisinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

On my 2013 Tradition I replaced all 8 of my tires with exactly what it came with, except brand (Toyo). You are replacing with a smaller tire. You don't want a surprise after all that time and money. The manufacture, or Freightliner, did allot of testing to fine what works best for your rig.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #3

Recommended size is 275/70R 22.5.
The dealer put a different size on. I’m going back to the recommended size
Old 07-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Plug the numbers for the two different sized tires into the chart, it will tell you the exact differences:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinpink View Post
Hello All. I have a 97 American Eagle. Iím replacing my 5 year old sumitomo 295/75 R 22.5 with Goodyear endurance rsa 275/70R 22.5. Thought? Suggestions? FYI I live in an area where it is very hard to find a qualified RV anything. I currently use a truck shop for all of my chassis work and have been very happy. They donít do tires, so they recommended the tire shop across the street (Goodyear). I am a solo traveler and having the convenience of them taking it across the street is huge (not having to hook up tow dolly, car, unhooking, etc). Again, thoughts?

I own a '97 Eagle and have Goodyear 275/70R 22.5 G70's and am thinking of replacing with 295/75 R 22.5 not settled on the brand. Are you going back to the stock size because of a performance deficiency or because of the convenience of of the stock size Goodyears? Curious as to the ride and steering difference with the 295's. Mine seems to perform well with the old 275 Goodyears but they are just about aged out and I am loaded up weight wise so that is why I'm considering the change ... any opinions or thoughts are welcome!

Thanks, Mike

BTW, my old Goodyears look great without any cracking and approximately 50k miles on them.

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There was a recall of certain 1997 American Eagles due to tire overloading. That's probably the reason you have a larger size than original, so I would not go backward in size without checking recall records first.

I think this is the relevant info:

https://auto-recalls.justia.com/amer...997/99v277000/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #7

Thank you for all the information people. Keep it coming. Taking in consideration the size I have now which is 295s, the size recommended 275, and the recall, Iím considering Going back to 275s.

I received this from my Tire guy.

295/75/22.5 G
Load Rating 6175

275/70/22.5 J
Load Rating 6940

You can carry 1530 pounds more across the front axle and 4590 pounds more overall. I would recommend the 275/70R22.5 J for that reason.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You got the higher load capacity as much by going to a Load Range J tire as by changing the size. I know you can get the 295/75 in LR H instead of G.

You do not have anywhere near enough front axle capacity (GAWR) to ever need/use tire inflated for 6940 lbs each. The front axle GAWR is 12,000 lbs and the rear 19,000.

But it's your coach, so go with the tire you like.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Tire manufacturers and many dealers are scared of the legal liability they might incur if you later claim they sold you inappropriate tires. That is a fall-out of the Ford tire debacle with Firestone tire and a lawsuit that Toyo barely won against a bogus claim.

If you have the recall documentation, that officially supercedes the original manufacturer tire recommendation and he has to honor that. In fact, failure to do so would make him liable for any future problem. But if you want a size other than what the recall specifies as the proper tire, then you will have to find a different dealer, one who understands tire & axle ratings.

Unfortunately, the recall documents I can find just say that a larger tire will be installed but does not specify the size that Fleetwood ultimately authorized. Maybe a call to Fleetwood (now part of Rev Group) would get a copy? It's FLEETWOOD RECALL NO. 91015

Maybe some help in these previous topics: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/tir...on-279787.html

Tags
tires