Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #1

Tongue weight /towing capacity 97 Flair

Hello,

I have a 1997 Fleetwood flair class A 31foot. I want to buy a motorcycle carrier to load my bike on the back of the RV. I don't see any info on the hitch mount set up. I found the owners manual online but I don't see about the class it is or the max tongue weight.

Anyone have any idea how I can find this info or what is the max downward weight I can put on my hitch ? And maybe the max towing capcity ?

Thank you in advance for any info !!
OntheRoadNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 10:39 PM   #2

Odds are if you have a common 2" receiver it's a class 3 which is a 600lb tongue and 6000lb towing capacity.

One thing to note is a motorcycle carrier will probably extend a ways behind the hitch which acts as a lever increasing the downward weight on the receiver so it's not as easy as looking at the rating of the hitch and the weight of the bike/carrier.

You also need to calculate the additional load on your rear axle and tires. Use this worksheet here: https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/...%20Rev%203.pdf

I just finished having a lift installed on my diesel pusher and I used the worksheet above. I had a class three hitch orininally, but had to have a class 5 hitch installed to handle my 635lb bike and lift. I don't have the paperwork handy but I think the class Class 5 is around 1600lbs tongue and 15,000 towing capacity, some are more.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #3

Be careful with this idea, I took a picture of a similar model year 28 ft P32 chassis Safari Trek with a home built motorcycle carrier a couple of years ago, which had been in use for about 1,200 miles. This was a fellow Trek Tracks forum member who was passing through my home town when I saw him a couple of blocks from my house, later I found out somewhere in Texas he bent his frame a couple of days later and he had to pay a welding shop to repair and reinforce the chassis frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tony's-Trek.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	273023  
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Odds are if you have a common 2" receiver it's a class 3 which is a 600lb tongue and 6000lb towing capacity.

Odds are even better that it has a max tongue weight of 350 lbs, with a towing capacity of 3500 lbs...
Old 01-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Odds are even better that it has a max tongue weight of 350 lbs, with a towing capacity of 3500 lbs...

X-2 no way 600- 6000
Old 01-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Info here:

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/lea...towing-classes
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #7

Hitch rating is base more from MH capacity than the hitch. You could bolt a 10k hitch on it doesn’t mean it can carry it. Many gassers have a 5k hitch but can only carry 3,500 due to carrying capacity.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRoadNJ View Post
Hello,

I have a 1997 Fleetwood flair class A 31foot. I want to buy a motorcycle carrier to load my bike on the back of the RV. I don't see any info on the hitch mount set up. I found the owners manual online but I don't see about the class it is or the max tongue weight.

Anyone have any idea how I can find this info or what is the max downward weight I can put on my hitch ? And maybe the max towing capcity ?

Thank you in advance for any info !!
First what does the bike weigh? Next go to a scale and get axle weights on the coach fully loaded. If you have enough margin then yes you can carry a small bike provided the hitch has the capacity. Or in my case I haul my dirt bike (~270# wet) but I don't use the receiver. Instead I added two receivers to the end of the frame where the hitch attaches. Then built extensions and a tray to hold the bike. In my case I have 1500# of headroom on the rear axle capacity. Part of the assy includes a hitch extension that I use to pull my toad on occasion as well though I would never tow a trailer or any load that has hitch weight. Have used this setup for >10,000 miles without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6081B.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	273143  
Old 01-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #9

Note the photo I posted above, the motorcycle platform was welded to the frame, not just to the hitch, and as a result bent the frame.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Note the photo I posted above, the motorcycle platform was welded to the frame, not just to the hitch, and as a result bent the frame.
That's way too heavy a bike to put on a rack. Even though my setup is very robust and attached to the factory frame (bolted not welded) I would not attempt to put a large street bike on it. With a 270# bike the frame load isn't that high. Certainly not higher than 500# of tongue weight from a trailer. The OP's situation may be different since his is an older coach built when extending the frame was a very common practice.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #11

Your coach came with a 3500 lb. receiver. Capable of carrying 350 lbs.
The big issue is the frame extensions that Fleetwood welded on. The frame extensions are not as wide as the original frame and the welds are scary. Take a look. You'll probably decide to not load up that receiver.

Richard
Old 01-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Your coach came with a 3500 lb. receiver. Capable of carrying 350 lbs.
The big issue is the frame extensions that Fleetwood welded on. The frame extensions are not as wide as the original frame and the welds are scary. Take a look. You'll probably decide to not load up that receiver.

Richard
I was wondering about that given the vintage of the MH. Good advice. I once saw a similar rig with the hitch bent down to the ground. He was pulling a large enclosed trailer that obviously way exceeded the tongue rating. Some of those frame extensions particularly back in the day are downright scary.

Tags
air, tongue weight, tow, towing, weight