Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

Towing and the OD OFF switch?

2005 Southwind 32VS. 8.1/Workhorse.

When towing the car should I push the OD OFF switch? Will the engine/trans do just fine on level road using OD?

I'm thinking that in hilly/mountainous areas I should drop the shifter down a gear. Is this correct?

Thanks.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #2

#1 Yes

#2 Shift down as needed,usually just to second gear.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

Good Morning,

I do tow a 2008 Explorer Sport Track in overdrive on (2007 TerraLX 32K with the 8.1 and 6 speed allison ) We travelover the Cascade and Coastal mountain range often.

When getting ready to descend, use the grade brake switch for the downhill. The grade brake function tighens up torque converter lockup and will react to downhill braking.
TerraTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF towing on nice level ground where the transmission on your tow vehicle goes into a gear and stays there.. Leave the Overdrive on.

IF it's constantly shifting in and out of O/D.. Turn it off.

That is the rule no matter if you are towing or not.. So long as it's not HIGHlowHIGHlowHIGHlowHIGHlow leave overdrive enabled.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Not sure about Workhorse but the Ford will suffer about 1 mpg with the OD off. I therefore only use it on steep hills or city driving.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies. Going to take a test kruz with the toad next week end.
SKP #111927
Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As everyone says; if the transmission will stay in overdrive, leave it on.

As the grade increases, and the transmission will not stay in a single gear, manually downshift.

On a 2002 Southwind Workhorse, the downshift pattern is as follows:
  • tooling along in OD, no problem; grade begins to change and transmission is shifting back and forth between OD and 4th, turn the OD off (switch on dash);
  • if grade again increases and transmission is now shifting between 4th and 3rd, then using the steering column shifter change to 3rd gear;
  • repeat with 2nd and 1st gear till you reach the summit.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
As everyone says; if the transmission will stay in overdrive, leave it on.

As the grade increases, and the transmission will not stay in a single gear, manually downshift.

On a 2002 Southwind Workhorse, the downshift pattern is as follows:
  • tooling along in OD, no problem; grade begins to change and transmission is shifting back and forth between OD and 4th, turn the OD off (switch on dash);
  • if grade again increases and transmission is now shifting between 4th and 3rd, then using the steering column shifter change to 3rd gear;
  • repeat with 2nd and 1st gear till you reach the summit.
Again, thanks for the information.

This long trip was kind of a test trip for us. 3070 miles at about 6 days driving. NW Florida to Indianapolis. Pick up Mom and go to Norfolk, VA. Then turn around and do it in reverse. Now. In WV there are two passes that are 7% grade for something like 7 miles each. This is where I started having problems because I left the cruise on (had a brain cramp I guess). The trans would down shift to 4th and rpm to about 3200. Then a sudden downshift to 3rd and the rpm went to over 4200. The radiator fans would kick on and the engine would start to rattle and the oil light came on. It absolutely would not come out of cruise control until I used the brakes to get down to about 40 mph. Happened twice. I hope I've learned to turn off the cruise control in the hills. I hope I didn't damage the engine. $4500.00 for a rebuilt plus installation is a harsh lesson.
SKP #111927

Tags
towing