Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Trailer brake controller for 99 American Eagle

I just bought a Rzr ATV and 16' dual axle trailer and need to get my 99 Eagle setup to operate the trailer's electric brakes. Does anyone have a recommendation on a controller? Any installation advice? I already have an M & G braking system for the toad, is there anyway to use that to operate the electric trailer brakes?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
steveschlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I have the same coach. Tried to hook up electric brakes for a trailer. With my limited knowledge - I couldn't. Had it checked and there is no wire from the dashboard to the harness in the rear. A wire would have to be run. I am the 2nd owner of the coach and the original did have air force one for his toad.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArch View Post
I have the same coach. Tried to hook up electric brakes for a trailer. With my limited knowledge - I couldn't. Had it checked and there is no wire from the dashboard to the harness in the rear. A wire would have to be run. I am the 2nd owner of the coach and the original did have air force one for his toad.
Did you have someone install a controller for you? If so, what did you go with and may I ask what you spent?
Old 06-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Running a wire for an electric brake system isn't all that hard. You need to find a way to get a couple wires thru the front firewall from the dash area, but after that it just gets strung underneath the coach. The electric control gets triggered by the coach brake light switch, usually tapped right at the air brake treadle valve where the brake lights are wired to it.

Use any brand/type of electric brake controller you like. I was only towing a tow-dolly with a small car on it, so didn't need a real sophisticated brake controller. If I was doing something heavier, I probably want a Tekonsha P-series or other high-end controller.

No, the M&G cannot operate electric brakes. It's an air-pressure system.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I did not install a controller as I was towing a small trailer only. I would defer to Gary.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #6

I have a 1999 American Tradition so I would think we are on the same Spartan Chassis. Here is the information given regarding pre-wiring for the brake controller. Make sure you look at the attachment at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

Attached you will find the electrical information (please disregard any page numbers). Please note that actual specifications and dimensions may vary due to production variances and design changes.

The trailer brake control wires will normally be coiled up under the dash on the driver side. The wires will be back close to the fire wall. The coil of wires may not have a connector on the wires. Please also see the attached information.

We recommend that any repairs and/or modifications be performed by a REV RV authorized service center. Please be advised that any repairs and/or modifications performed by an individual or facility will be done at the owner’s risk and REV RV will not accept liability or offer warranty coverage to the affected area(s).

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-435-7345.

Thank you!

Robert Dalrymple

Senior Customer Service Representative

REV Recreation Group

T 1-800-322-8216

Attachments area

Spartan Trailer Hitch Spare Wires - 1997 to 2011 (5).pdf
vetteandharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

My 2004 Tradition was supposedly pre-wired as well. I had a description of the wire bundle and searched for it several times, including with the dash top cover removed so I could dig around inside. Never found the wires that were supposed to be there. Tried to trace back from the plug at the rear, but it was buried in a huge bundle up under the chassis. It was easier to run new wire than to keep on hunting.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:10 AM   #8

Thanks vetteandharl and Gary,
One of the previous owners put in a 7 pin trailer connector so I should at least have lights. I do not see a controller around the dash, although I haven't looked that hard. The trailer dealer will test it when I pick up the trailer Friday, who knows, with any luck it may already be setup! That may be wishful thinking but I plan to tow it empty without brakes to get it home and go from there.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteandharl View Post
I have a 1999 American Tradition so I would think we are on the same Spartan Chassis. Here is the information given regarding pre-wiring for the brake controller. Make sure you look at the attachment at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.
vetteandharl,
Thanks very much for this!
Do you happen to have the pictures mentioned in the attached letter from Spartan?
Old 06-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #10

Did you open the attachment at the bottom of my message? It has a description of the location and a diagram. Glad to be of help.
vetteandharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #11

Long story but my coach is not setup with a brake controller, has anyone tried this Bluetooth controller?

It would save the hassle of running a wire from the dash to the back.

This is a TLDR (too long didn't read) status but the trailer dealer yard guy told me I had a controller based on his test equipment. When I brought the trailer home, about 60 miles, the brakes locked up every time the brake lights came on, which includes when the exhaust brake engaged. I did not notice until I was almost home and the brand new tires had flat spots from being dragged. It turns out someone had wired the stop light wire to the brake connector pin on the seven pin connector, so the brake came on full every time the stop lights lit up. I am hoping the dealer will replace the tires since his guy told me I was good to go.

Tags
brake, trailer