Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #15

My fingers are crossed! Lol
Bird4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 07:26 PM   #16

Excited to see your pictures, sounds like you nailed it!
Old 07-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #17

OK, so I didn't get there yesterday, but I did today.

My Transmission dipstick is nearly 6', not 4. It is 57 3/4" from the very tip to the bottom of the cap. Part no 15971711

The oil dipstick is 55 3/4", part No 12557090

I've attached some photos.

Rickinnocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:01 AM   #18

Oh my... pictures didn't come thru? Click on paperclip above to add pics.
It sounds like we are on the right track.
My fleetwood is still at the shop, he hasn't called me back in a week. Bird4u2@yahoo.com if you can email them to me
I am so excited this might be the one!!!
Old 07-31-2021, 08:09 AM   #19

I couldn't find the paperclip to post pictures until now, when you click on reply, then you have to click on advanced options for the paperclip to come up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210621_194501.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	337897  
Old 07-31-2021, 09:37 AM   #20

Hey Bird4u -

Iím guessing the GM p/n is missing from the broken dipstick as well?

Itís weird that the dipstick rusted through to the point that it broke - and kind of concerns me that once you do track down one that seems to be close - do you know itís really the right one without having a p/n or some reference point between the dipstick you have (assuming itís the right one) and the one you get?

Iím going to see if I still have all the parts manuals on my laptop - if I do, we can see how many different dipsticks they used.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #21

From the Chevrolet Parts Manual I’ve found two p/n’s for a 4L80E on a 454 “W” engine -

334532 and 15607573 I noted neither of those numbers are what were on the pictures I posted - go figure).

And I just happened to think - you might be lucky enough to go to your local Chevrolet dealership Parts Departments with your VIN number and if they are like one of our nearby, older dealerships - they may still have some of the old parts books on the shelves that they can look up the P/N’s. Also applies to Chevrolet heavy truck dealer as well (there are still a few of them around).

Another thing that will help, for this and other issues related to the chassis, is by using the VIN number you can possibly get the build sheet for your chassis. The build sheet gives a lot of information about the chassis that will be helpful in identifying your engine, transmission, brakes, etc.. Having that info was very useful for when I was looking for parts for our 1991 (chassis built in 1990) coach.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:30 PM   #22

If you haven't checked with any of these places yet, here is a list?
Has the shop where your MH is dropped the pan and retrieved the broken dipstick piece? If not ask them to carefully lower the pan and measure the fluid the pan holds. This way the same amount of fluid can be put back into the transmission when the pan is put back on.
The broken piece needs to be found so you can get an overall length of the dipstick. Try to find the part number on the dipstick.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=used+motor...t=brave&ia=web
Old 08-01-2021, 05:37 AM   #23

Make your own dipstick. Buy a 6' length of 3/16" steel cable.
Something like this at any hardware store:
https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-s...for-lifting-8/
Either paint or dip two inches of one end of the cable in white paint and let it dry. After the paint is dried, start the engine and shift the gear shifter from drive to reverse then back to park. Try to figure roughly how much cable will have to go into the dipstick tube to reach the end of the tube. Starting there begin trying to reach the fluid in the trans. pan with the steel cable an inch or two at a time until you see the fluid on the painted portion of the cable. If you get fluid showing about 1" up onto the cable you should be fine. Now mark the cable at the top of the dipstick tube. A piece of tape wrapped around the cable would work for you.
When you are done checking the fluid level, wipe the cable clean and roll it up and store it away in a Zip Loc bag. You can use the original broken dipstick to plug the dipstick tube. I'd cut the dipstick off to about 6" to 1' in length.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Make your own dipstick. Buy a 6' length of 3/16" steel cable.
Something like this at any hardware store:
https://www.mcmaster.com/stainless-s...for-lifting-8/
Either paint or dip two inches of one end of the cable in white paint and let it dry. After the paint is dried, start the engine and shift the gear shifter from drive to reverse then back to park. Try to figure roughly how much cable will have to go into the dipstick tube to reach the end of the tube. Starting there begin trying to reach the fluid in the trans. pan with the steel cable an inch or two at a time until you see the fluid on the painted portion of the cable. If you get fluid showing about 1" up onto the cable you should be fine. Now mark the cable at the top of the dipstick tube. A piece of tape wrapped around the cable would work for you.
When you are done checking the fluid level, wipe the cable clean and roll it up and store it away in a Zip Loc bag. You can use the original broken dipstick to plug the dipstick tube. I'd cut the dipstick off to about 6" to 1' in length.

A good idea as long as the fluid level is known to be correct to begin with.

Is there any way to know how much fluid is supposed to be in the pan and where that fluid level is relative to the bottom of the pan to begin with? And/or fluid level when fluid is 1 pint low?
If so, a clean stiff rod or wire of sorts could shoved down the fill tube until it bottoms out, then the length of the rod is marked at the top end of the filler tube.
Pull the rod out, and mark the end accordingly with the fluid level measurements found above.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #25

The OP did say the transmission was working fine which tells me the fluid level must be somewhere near full to capacity. Another way to tell would be to drain the pan then refill it using the capacity specs. for the particular transmission and the application. I believe most of the 4L80/85 transmissions have drain plugs in the pan. Another way to tell would be to loosen the pan bolts. If fluid runs out the pan is full plus. When the engine is not running there will be some drainback from the transmission internals and torque converter. That is where the plus enters in.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
The OP did say the transmission was working fine which tells me the fluid level must be somewhere near full to capacity. Another way to tell would be to drain the pan then refill it using the capacity specs. for the particular transmission and the application. I believe most of the 4L80/85 transmissions have drain plugs in the pan. Another way to tell would be to loosen the pan bolts. If fluid runs out the pan is full plus. When the engine is not running there will be some drainback from the transmission internals and torque converter. That is where the plus enters in.
Have done this several times (pan drop/filter change) on the 4L80E trans and it is always exactly 5 quarts. In fact, I just changed mine last Thursday. The manual is incorrect it states 7.7 quarts with pan drop & filter change.

5 quarts with a cold transmission (engine off) the level will be mid way between low hot & high hot marks. Start the engine the trans will now flow fluid in the trans the level will now show right at the top of the full cold mark.

Perfect.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:50 AM   #27

Where anyone has to be careful is, there were two different pans used on these transmissions. A shallow pan and a deep pan. Of course the capacities will be different as the filters will be also.
Seems like there is always a glitch.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #28

To the OP post up a pic of your pan. FYI...mine is a shallow pan. Always 5 quarts after draining and replacing pan/filter.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission