Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Trick - add a delay timer to Utility/compartment lights

I have bought two "12V Timer relay" on eBay for 4.35$US each.

Here is a picture:

Here is the diagram I have made just for you:

On my Fleetwood, I have install one relay for the Docking Light and another one for the Utility light (compartment lights).

When I turn the Utility light switch on, the lights are on as usual and forever until I turn the switch off. But when I turn the switch off, the lights stays on for a few minutes. I can program the relay from 0 to 60 minutes. I have chosen 15 minutes for both of the Utility and Docking lights.

I did it because my kids forget to turn off the docking lights or the utility lights all night long. Now when one of my kid will go in a compartment they will simply turn it on and off and have plenty of time.

I put the relay just beside the Utility Light switch behind the dash. On the switch there are three wires. One of them is +12V and is live all the time. The other two are use to turn the lights on.

On eBay item number 390532577881. Click here.

The Relay Timer 12V I have used is 5A. 5A is enough in my case. All my bulbs are LED which require low amperage. I changed the fuses to 5A in the electric panel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good idea. You might consider changing the switch to a momentary switch.
When kids are involved, you never know.

Dan
Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

How about a switch with a built in pilot light as a reminder. My old Bounder came that way.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
How about a switch with a built in pilot light as a reminder. My old Bounder came that way.

Richard
Very good. If we can't find a similar switch then a simple led diode around would do the job.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #5

Better solution

FORGET ABOUT MY FIRST SOLUTION.

I have a much better and simpler one now.

I have bought an electronic "Relay delay" on eBay. Price 4.35$US or 5.80$Can.

It is easy to find and very cheap. I took the 12V version of it.

We have to set the jumpers. I setup S1 to 1 and S2 to 1 and S4 to ON to choose the 6.5 to 61 minutes range. Then I set S5 to ON to choose DC voltage instead of AC. Then we put a jumpers on S6 instead of S7 to choose "Delay turn off" instead of "Delay turn on".

Then on the Docking Light switch you cut the second wire on the side where there is 3 wire. This wire is the +12V that will go out of the switch toward the lights. You cut it at 1 inch from the switch. The end that goes to the switch has to be connected on the VCC connector of the relay electronic device. The end that goes to the lights has to be connected on the NO connector of the relay electronic device. Then you put a ground wire on the GND connector of the relay electronic device.

You have a screw that can be use to set the delay from 6.5 minutes to 61 minutes. Works perfectly.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

UPdate:

I said in the previous text: "cut the second wire on the side where there is 3 wire".

In fact there is two white wires on position 2 and 3. For the Docking light the out white wire of the switch was number 2 but for the Utility light switch it was number 3.

So to determine which one to cut is easy: the white wire that is hot at all time "+12V" is not the one we have to cut. The other white wire is the wire going to the lights and this is the one we want to cut.

Tags
light, lights