Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #1

Truck wont start until 24 hours

Hi,

I own a 1999 Fleetwood Discovery with the 5.9 Cummins; I am unable to start the truck once I shut it off. If I wait until the next day it fires right up... The truck with crank over but won't fire, once I wait until the next day the truck fires right up without issue. Has anyone had this issue before? Already replaced the lift and injection pump
AK discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2022, 11:38 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Sorry your first post is about problems .

Being a 1999 5.9l Cummins , I'll assume it's the ISB ; 24 valve version .
Replacing the VP-44 injection pump and the electric lift pump and the issue remains .

This sounds more like a chassis wiring issue , or problems with the Cummins ECM , rather than a Fleetwood issue .

Is your coach on a Freightliner XC chassis ?
Have all the power inputs to the Cummins ECM been checked while the engine won't run ?
Old 07-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #3

I do have the Freightliner cassis but I am unsure what model it is.

I appreciate your help and I will look into the ECM and wiring issues and get with you.

Thanks Agian
Old 07-07-2022, 06:45 PM   #4

Your Freightliner chassis is most likely an XC , next question is do you have a model sticker somewhere near the drivers seat low on the wall that will give you the chassis build date ?
F/L chassis underwent a major wiring change Jan , 04, 1999 and many coaches sold as 99s built between August and December 1998, are on 98 XC chassis .

So have a look for a decal like the photo below , if you can't find one , call the F/L help line with your serial number and ask for the chassis build date .
1-800-385-4357

I have wiring schematics for 98 & 99 chassis as well as wiring info for the Cummins ECM to the VP-44 injector pump .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	370452  
Old 07-08-2022, 04:18 PM   #5

I found the build date of 03/99

Is there a way you could email the wiring schematics for my year for the ECM and overall chassis wiring?

I would agree that the issue appears to be an ECM or chassis wiring issue; I had the Inverter/Converter burn up as well and I have that disconnected at the moment. I hired a guy to hook my batteries back up because I forgot to take a picture of the connections. I expected the tech to show up with schematics and know what he was doing; but no he was not prepared and began wiring the batteries incorrectly until they sparked on him. Next trip the converter went out and I have been having electrical issues ever since.

I sure appreciate your help; I have been unable to get this in a shop and it's apparent I need to understand this coach so I can fix it myself.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #6

Ok, I’m currently on the road,and my computer with the pdfs is at home I’ll post information,first thing in the morning.
Question, when the engine does run , how long does it run for ?
Hours ? Good power? Does it ever stall out?

More in the morning.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #7

I have a 2000 36T with a '99 build date. Quite often after turning the RV ignition off I'm not able to immediately restart. i have to rotate the key to the on/off position multiple times before it will start; however, I've never had to wait until the next day.

I had a conversation with my diesel shop mechanic, and he said it may be as simple as the ignition switch itself or the associated wiring. I have not taken any action yet to troubleshoot, so i can't share any specifics relative to correcting the issue.
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 10:58 PM   #8

With regard to my questions about performance when the engine does run please take a moment , to go through this thread ( link below ) and take the time to examine your fuel lines in search of this filter/strainer , a previous owner had removed the one from my chassis.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/the-t...er-328852.html

Could you take some time and post about what testing was done prior to replacing the lift and injector pumps .

Here's the pdf of wiring schematics for our 1999 F/L chassis , note there are separate pages for Cummins and Caterpillar equipped chassis.

The wiring info in the photo is for the Dodge 5.9l, ISB with VP-44 pump , I did have the same info for the F/L version , but it looks like I lost it when all my files were transferred from a failed hard drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiring Diagram Cummins with VP-44.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	370617  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1999 Freightliner schematics Cat and Cummins.pdf (968.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:51 AM   #9

Yes, I do have the service records and I will take a look tonight and see what was performed to determine the cause to replace the lift and injection pump.

The truck runs just fine when it starts; no surging or loss of power. It's only once I shut the truck off that it won't fire back up. It will crank no problem but won't fire.

Thank you so much for the wiring diagrams!
Old 07-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK discovery View Post

Thank you so much for the wiring diagrams!

Those were schematics, diagrams are different .
Note all dimensions of the harness are metric .
NOTE: Unfortunately when I collected these diagrams , I was only concerned with my chassis with a Caterpillar engine .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring diagram chassis to engine 1999 Fl chassis.pdf (626.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Wiring diagrams 1999 FL chassis.pdf (1.22 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Wiring diagrams under dash.pdf (1.47 MB, 11 views)
Old 07-12-2022, 02:27 PM   #11

Have you tried to check whether fuel pressure can hold for a while after fuel pump is cut off power? I got a leaky fuel pressure regulator, which causes two cylinders flooded when engine is turned off.
My can start after about 10+ seconds cranking, a few cranks in total.
paulwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #12

I have not checked the fuel pressure after the fuel pump has shut off, I will add that to the list lol.

So an update: I searched for the mystery fuel strainer and found a location I believe the filter once was; there appears to be a splice at that location with a small brass threaded union with hose clamps on each side. It appears the previous owner removed the strainer. After reading the thread on the mystery fuel strainer I was convinced that was my issue; that being said though I never have a loss of power when the truck is running and going down the road. Yesterday I started the truck and it fired right up with no issue; I turned off the truck and went to restart and I struggled for just a second before it fired back up. I am convinced that if I had tried to start the truck again, It would have cranked without firing.

I am beginning to think I have a problem with the ECM or wiring issue; does anyone have the schematics for the fuel delivery system? And can you explain the fuel system to me? The basic mechanics are the fuel water seperator, then lift pump, then injection pump, correct?
Old 07-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK discovery View Post

I am beginning to think I have a problem with the ECM or wiring issue; does anyone have the schematics for the fuel delivery system? And can you explain the fuel system to me? The basic mechanics are the fuel water seperator, then lift pump, then injection pump, correct?
The photo I have of a ISB ( motorhome application ) shows a filter housing on the engine ; between the lift pump and the injection pump . Same set up as the Dodge/Cummins of that era. So a secondary fuel filter before the VP-44.
Yellow arrows indicate fuel pressure test ports on the filter housing .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1999 ISB MH.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	371466