Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
rhm

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trying to understand a/c

I have two a/c units on my new to us '04 Fleetwood Providence. I thought one would support the front of the coach and one the rear, but they both seem to blow through all the ducts.

I also find the front very loud compared to the rear and there is much more air flow from the front unit.

Does that seem right? I don't have much for manuals.

I'm plugged into 50 amp service and I have the thermostat for both zones set to cool, auto.

thx
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes your ducts are tied together. Your front air is probably a 15000 which would be louder than the 13500 in the rear.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #3

I have an 07 bounder diesel with two heat pumps on the roof, yours may be similar. I set my thermostats so that #2 is lower than #1 for the same reason that you described. #1 is louder because it is in the main salon. So #2 runs most of the time (it is also the bigger of the two units). During the afternoon both units are required to keep the coach cool.
Start searching the net for instruction manuals for your systems. Maybe some smart computer person could set up a manual repository on this site.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a similar setup and do the same as pcurt does as far as the settings. I have built baffles in our ceiling ducts so that most of the front air stays in the front and most of the back air stays in back, but allows for some to go both ways when on 30 amp and only using one air. We also find that a small fan running helps move the air around much more efficiently. On our 2001 Ambassador, we put a different grill on the front air that allowed for quick cooling of the front and bypassed most of the ceiling ducting. Another thing to check is to be sure that the duct ends in front, just does not keep going into the dark hole behinds tv. Our back air is in the bedroom not in the middle like some, so it cools the bedroom and bath area quite well. The front is more of a problem with all the front glass allowing heat in. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert
Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ducts tied together, Sometimes the front (Having a larger service area) is bigger. If you want only one end working, close the ducts in the other.

on my coach (Thankfully) both A/C's are the same size. Motor went out in the bedroom so I played musical motors (Blower motor) to keep cool at night till I could get a new motor in.. And of course Carrier don't sell the motor.. Thankfully the place I took it was sufficently "Ticked off" that he found one that is doing a first rate job. Even fit the same screw holes when we were done. When we put his Electric motor knowledge together with my training and observations.. Magic happened.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seems to be a lot of different configurations. On my 03 35r Bounder my ceiling registers are in pairs from front to rear. One unit flows out one string of ducts, the other out of the second. Makes it easy to adjust the flow from both units so to minimize the running of the salon unit.
Gerall is offline   Reply With Quote