Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #1

Turning lemons into lemonade

Our original Cruise vacation plans were cancelled because of the covid. We decided to take the coach to the beach for a week and just relax. I was not planning on taking the coach out this year so now I am now going over her to possibly avoid any issues on the highway.

Ordered 6 new tires which will get installed this Saturday. After blowing a tire on the way to Disney World last year I'm not taking any chances. It has 5 ply tires on it and I didn't even notice when I bought it.

I repaired the fuel filler hose that got ripped off when the tire exploded. I just have to re-install the mud flaps.

Replaced the docking light that got mangled when the tire let go with a new LED one, going to replace the other 3 this weekend.

Found and repaired a coolant leak. Worst part was I had to remove the alternator to tighten the clamp.

I re-dyed all the baggage handles with forever black, probibly could use a second coat but they look a million times better already.

Added a soundbar to the front TV and it made a world of difference.

Ordered a new right hand spring for the awning, should arrive on Wednesday.

Thinking of biting the bullet and upgrading to a new sat dish, the one on the roof is too old.

So even though our initial plans were cancelled we are making the best of it. Plus now I now have to get off my butt and do the things I have been putting off. I just was not planning on doing it in July when it is hitting 100 degrees outside.
chiefM is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

I think you qualify for this:
https: // http://www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/56...ved-wood-token
Old 07-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #3

Since spring we have been busy at the John Deere dealership and I have to work every other weekend. Most of my spring was spent rebuilding a Cadillac Escalade.

New oil pan gasket and rear main seal
New front diff mount bushings
New motor mount
New water pump and all new belts
New plugs and wires
New coil
New boots on steering shaft
New rear shocks and air compressor
New front CV axles
Changed all fluids and filters
New tires and air pressure sensors
Old 07-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It has 5 ply tires on it and I didn't even notice when I bought it.
That's highly unlikely. Nothing that fits on that coach comes in anything less than a 14 ply rating (load range G). And nothing made in the last couple decades has an odd-number ply rating. Always multiples of 2.

The actual number of plies is irrelevant on a radial tire - the body & cords are not constructed with "plies".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #5

Tires I have on the coach , new ones going on Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76D22CA1-4867-4FBC-B623-BED059ABB53C.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	293983  
Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #6

New spring arrived today for the awning, I will put that in this weekend.

I bought a new kitchen faucet but I need some adapters to be able to connect it to the water lines in the motorhome.

I think I am going to get new gas shocks for the baggage doors, most of them are weak.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefM View Post
New spring arrived today for the awning, I will put that in this weekend.
I own 1997 Eagle and need to replace my spring(s) ... mine has the Carefree Power Pack awning. I think it has 2 springs? Which awning do you have on your coach?

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #8

I have a Carefree Fiesta FX which also has 2 springs. Mine is a manual model and the right one side with the lock has not been right since I bought the rig. I ordered the spring off of the Carefree website, I guess it took about a week to arrive.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:12 AM   #9

I installed the new awning spring about 2 weeks ago, too easy. Works better than ever now.

I ordered a set of 40 lb struts for the baggage doors which is what the old ones were and they work OK, still don't hold the door all the way open. I'm a tall guy and need them all the way open. Think I will try 20 inch 60 lb struts if I can find some.

Installed all new rubber washers in the water lines to the new sink faucet and no more leaks!

Me and my buddy got all 6 tires changed out yesterday. It took us a heck of a lot longer than we were expecting but we got it done. By looking at the date codes on the old tires they were over 9 years old, it was way past time to be replaced. The tire we had put on by the roadside service last year I put it in the belly as a spare. I always had a small leak on the left rear intermediate tire since we bought the coach. We found a small stick between the bead of the old tire and the rim. I now have all new tires, new weight beads and new valve cores so I should not have any tire issues for a while.

We also got the 2 mud flaps installed that got ripped off when the tire blew out last year.

Started a quicky upgrade to the coach that I will share when I get it completed.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #10

Just for curiosity, what was the brand of those old tires?
Mr Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #11

They say SOHO on the tire.

I can't wait to take the motorhome out and see how it rides with the new tires. Going to run it to the truck stop sometime this week and fill her up for our vacation coming up.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #12

They were Wanli tires on the coach. I relooked at them this morning and figured my mistake. The new tires look great and one less thing to worry about.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefM View Post
I ordered a set of 40 lb struts for the baggage doors which is what the old ones were and they work OK, still don't hold the door all the way open. I'm a tall guy and need them all the way open. Think I will try 20 inch 60 lb struts if I can find some.
I replaced all the struts on my 1999 Dream and the full width (50") doors all take 80lb struts and the small door in front of the drivers wheel and electrical compartment take 60's. The other door I have is the small door next to the furnace, and that takes 30# ones. BTW, REV sells them the cheapest that I found. When I bought 20 each of the 80#'s they were $6 each. Months later I went and bought some more and the price went up to $8 or $9...still pretty reasonable. The standard numbers are:
SL-34-30 (30#)
SL-34-60 (60#)
SL-34-80 (80#)
These are not REV's numbers. Just the standard number for a 20" long strut with 10mm ball ends on both ends and followed by the #'s of force.

EDIT: I looked them up on REV's site, and the part # with current pricing is:
SL-34-30, REV# 10121044 $7.49 each.
SL-34-60, REV# 10008055 $7.99 each.
SL-34-80, REV# 10008061 $7.99 each.
You can call REV with your vin and verify the original #'s of force for yours. Or order online. You can also enter your VIN for specific parts for your coach.
https://parts.revgroup.com/store#
Good Luck !
Old 08-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #14

Thanks Meames1!!
That info really helped, I will look into getting some ordered tomorrow.