Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Tv upgrade

I am looking to up grade my tv s to flat screens in a 2006 fleet wood excursion. Has anyone replaced original ones and what model and size flat screen worked best?
Randy hymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Randy,

Welcome to iRV2

[moderator edit]
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

Hi

Sorry I can’t help with your question

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here

This past spring I replaced my main 32" TV with a 40". It hardly took up any more space. I did have my cabinet reworked to accommodate it and the sound bar. I chose a Samsung it is what worked the best are far as dimensions. It came out beautiful.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome..

First, the new flat screens will be wider than the older tube type, so the size won't be exact (wide aspect ratio compared to older TVs) One of the big advantages of the flat screens are the TVs are very light, so you can get fairly innovative on where and how you install it. I've seen some RVs where the TV was actually a kitchen cabinet door.

When we replaced ours, I installed it where the original was, but put it on a swivel arm so it can be re-positioned. Also, It was important to us to be able to operate on 12 volts, so we looked for a TV that we could power directly from 12 volts.

I made a couple modifications to the mounting and installed mine where the old one was. I also installed a travel strap to keep it from flopping around while traveling.

Take a couple measurement, then visit Walmart. This will give you an idea of whats available. I did a short article on my 1999 Southwind upgrade.

TV Upgrade – 1999 Southwind 35S

When I did this in my old 2001 Mirada, I used a swivel mount, but made the mount vertical, so it swung up and down. You may be able to get some ideas from this one also:

Installing and upgrading TVs – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Randy! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

This is what I did. I won't be following this thread so if you have any questions just send me a Private Message. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy hymel View Post
I am looking to up grade my tv s to flat screens in a 2006 fleet wood excursion. Has anyone replaced original ones and what model and size flat screen worked best?
Welcome we have a 2006 expedition I'm not sure if the tv is in the same location but we are in the process of installing a 43" flat screen above the drivers compartment. The problem I had was I wanted a really thin tv, seems anything smaller than 50" is going thick again. I finally found a LeEco 43" it's less than 2" thick and will work perfectly. I am using the MORRYDE mount. I will post some pics of my progress this weekend.
1raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #8

I replaced the original main tv in my 2002 Eagle with a flat screen. I didn’t want to modify the opening so I just searched for a tv that would be the best fit. I used plywood covered in black fabric for the mounting bracket. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2190.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	184986
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy hymel View Post
Randy, this is a relatively easy and painless upgrade. The P/O of my 05 Excursion put a Sony flat screen in the front, in what appears to be the same opening - just as wide, but not as high, so there's a bit of an opening BELOW where the tv itself is mounted. I bought a 30" Visio for the bedroom, it's on the left hand side above the shelf and cabinetry there. I have taken out, but not replaced, the little tube TV that was in the outside compartment next to the kitchen, but one of these days I probably will.

I didn't see the need to get 12v TVs, as shore power or genny will be perfectly sufficient to run these newer, low power consumption tvs.

One thing you will want to consider is sound - you don't want to accidentally cover or muffle the speakers on the bezel of whatever TV you decide on - make sure you know where they are, and allow for them. (This assume you aren't running the sound output through a theater sound or soundbar type of arrangement.)

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We replaced both of our CRT's with LED's. See photos in my albums.

A 32" fit perfect in the front/overhead & the original wood trim went right back up without obstructing the speakers. We relocated the other CRT by putting a 24" above the window & gained storage in the cabinet that previously held the clunky BR set.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

I have a 2001 36s bounder. I wanted something much larger than the original one overhead in the cockpit. I removed the original, cut a piece of plywood to completely fill the opening, attached a tv wall mount unit to it and secured it in the space previously occupied by the old tv. Then I attached a 40" flat screen which can be pushed up and secured with Velcro straps I attached to the frame. When parked I lower the tv and we have great viewing. Also installed a sound bar above the tv and a wireless bass that fits in one of the cabinets. Not hard and nice to have a big screen.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #12

TV Replacement

Hi I own a Fleetwood Excursion 2006 and replace the front tv with a Vizio tv, the one i found had a width of 31.5 inches which fit the width perfectly and was almost a no brainer. Do a search on specs for Vizio and you should be able to find it. No one has ever noticed it was replaced. A stop will be needed to stop top of tv from being unsteady but shouldn't be a problem
Feel free to contact me if I can help. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Hope this helps
JerryClark
JerryClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #13

Best way is to measure diamentions of your opening then go visit a few TV stores! Some times a 32" TV can be different sizes across.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #14

I plan to replace the overhead TV on a 2007 Fleetwood Terra LX...Having difficulty getting the old one out. Cannot find a way to remove the outside wood trim off without damaging the wood frame. TV had to be installed first before trimmed out since it is too large to slide out the front. There are no screw holes or plugs visible on the outside.Any suggestions!

Tags
upgrade