Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Upgrade Expedition 2001 ride

My 01 expedition I thought had airbags. After inspection it doesn't
How can I improved the ride
Thanks
Richard
r oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #2

i also have a 2001 expedition. i have had it since 2008. When we drove ours on the first trip wow was the suspension ever bad. We were tossed in all directions when cornering or hitting a bump. Scared the **** out of us. I put Koning shocks in the front suspension and new shocks in the rear from frieightliner.( only place i could find shocks for the rear. (2001 has different lower mount.)
Then i took the m/h to a hd truck spring shop and had them add another leaf spring to all 4 spring packs. they added one leaf spring to the bottom of the spring pack. boy did that ever make a difference to the ride. What happens is frieghliner supplies the cheapest springs, so after a few years they flatten out causing the suspension to bottom out. which means as the suspension bottoms out,it sends you back in the opposite direction scaring the hell out of you.
good luck
cmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #3

Chassie upgrade

Thanks good info. Did you try or talk to folks about air shocks
Richard
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

Yes i did look into air shocks and air bag assist, but at the time i did the repairs no mfg had anything available for the weight of the front end. So i went with Koni shocks on the front. They are a great shock. You can adjust them from being soft to being very stiff. I have adjusted mine to be very stiff. Best shock on the market. unfortunately they do not make a rear shock for the 01 expedition due to the way the shock mounts to the lower mount.
Freighliner made a change mid year in 01 going from spring suspension to air bag suspension and went from using a shifter to operate the transmission to a push button pad to operate the transmission.

do you have GAF Freightliner phone #.
1-800-385-4357. 24/7 support.
Access Freightliner# 1-855-639-8680.
Both numbers are great for information and very helpful.
good luck
Old 01-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #5

Suspension

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get the new shocks u suggested. Did u do anything to the rear?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

yes i put new monroe shocks on the rear. only place that i found to buy was from freightliner.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #7

Shocks

Did the new shocks smooth out the ride?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #8

The new shocks work but not the solution for a worn out spring pack. The problem with the suspension is the springs are worn out. The springs bottom out causing the front end to bounce back up in the opposite direction that you are moving. The proper solution is to either replace the front and rear springs or add a full length spring to each spring pack. This will give you a good safe ride. Then add the new Koni shocks and adjust them for a stiff ride. We are very happy now with how our suspension rides.
Freightliner only supplies a 2 leaf spring pack. they are so long that they wear out real fast. The most you can expect is about 2 years before they start to wear out.
the spring pack is designed to stand up to pressures pushing down on them when you are cornering or hitting pot holes. What happens when the 2 spring (spring pack) no longer stands up to downward forces.The spring will bottom out and react by moving in the opposite direction causing you has the driver to feel like you are loosing control when cornering.
i can send you pictures of the spring upgrade.
good luck
Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #9

I also have a early model expedition with the same problem could you please send me some pics also the name of the shop you got the spring packs from thanks
bigfatdadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade