Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

Upholstery problem

In the last few months, the upholstery on my sofa and dinette is beginning to crack and disintegrate. I have included pictures of the two worst spots. This is occurring at locations that receive little or no use. We only clean the furniture with a damp cloth.

The first picture is the top of the sofa back that folds up and slides into the main sofa body when the main slide is in. The second picture is the top of an arm on the dinette.

I have 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 35K with Flexsteel ultraleather furniture.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem, and any ideas for repairing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sofa damage.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	157773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette damage.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	157774  

mst0neham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Is sunlight hitting those areas while in storage??
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Looks like pleather. Not real leather. If all you have done is clean with a damp cloth and never treated with 303 Protectant, then I would say. Storage with the high heat being closed up is killing your upholstery. You will need to find a good upholstery shop and have it replaced.
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

What you have is not Ultraleather but most likely Austin vinyl simulated leather as that is what Fleetwood has been using in their class A's. Unfortunately this is a known issue with this stuff. I think your only recourse is to replace or reupholster the furniture. Ultraleather is a much better choice albeit it more expensive.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a known fleetwood issue. If it hasn't happened to your coach yet..........it will. My coach is stored with all shades down, even when in use, all shades are down. It is heated all winter and kept cool with a/c all summer and it is starting on mine. The drivers seat was the first to start and it is in a non- wear area. They crack and then peel. Fleetwood should step up on this issue. You can bet they will start to peel between 3 and 6 years from new.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
It is a known fleetwood issue. If it hasn't happened to your coach yet..........it will. My coach is stored with all shades down, even when in use, all shades are down. It is heated all winter and kept cool with a/c all summer and it is starting on mine. The drivers seat was the first to start and it is in a non- wear area. They crack and then peel. Fleetwood should step up on this issue. You can bet they will start to peel between 3 and 6 years from new.
Agreed but will they??? 3 to 6 years is long out of warranty. This is not just a Fleetwood issue. My buddies toyhauler has it as well. Seems like Flexsteel should provide some relief since they mfr'd using this crap.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have looked at about 6 used Class A's lately; 2013-2015 model years. They have ALL had this upholstery problem. Some were Thor, some were Coachmen, one was Forest River. I didn't look to see the mfg of the upholstery, but I suspect that there are going to be a lot of rigs on the market with bad upholstery.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im sorry, I meant to say a flexsteel problem and I agree, it is a flexsteel problem. From what I have heard, flexsteel refuses to do anything. Ultimately however, fleetwood is the one choosing to use the component.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #9

Have the same issue with my 2014 Bounder 35K over a year ago. I contacted Flexsteel and they​ refused to help.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Those in the know..

Villa is superior RV furniture found on higher end RVs and surpasses Flexsteel in quality...
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Yup, have the same problem on my 2013 Storm and as mentioned keep shades down and curtains drawn when not in use. My furniture is Flexsteel also and agree that mfg of furniture should replace/repair. They are the ones that sold the furniture to Fleetwood. Fleetwood also has culpability if they "spected" that covering to Flexsteel. Since it seems to be an issue accross many rv manufactures that bought furniture from Flexsteel with this covering maybe we can band together and go after Flexsteel for relief.

I would encourage anyone else who has had this problem to respond here so I can gather some statistics to present in a letter I'm going to write to the President of Flexsteel and REV group and see where it goes from there. As the saying goes, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
Villa is superior RV furniture found on higher end RVs and surpasses Flexsteel in quality...
Maybe on new coaches, but in the years similar to mine, Flexsteel is really good stuff. Mine is still like brand new. Not only is mine a 2005, but it also has 108,000 miles.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Maybe on new coaches, but in the years similar to mine, Flexsteel is really good stuff. Mine is still like brand new. Not only is mine a 2005, but it also has 108,000 miles.
Even today Flexsteel offers many different fabrics\simulated leathers. The stuff in question is called Austin. Not all Flexsteel furniture is upholstered with it but it is popular with OEM's because of it's low price point. It looks good initially and doesn't fail until after the warranty has expired. Ultraleather is significantly more expensive.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Even today Flexsteel offers many different fabrics\simulated leathers. The stuff in question is called Austin. Not all Flexsteel furniture is upholstered with it but it is popular with OEM's because of it's low price point. It looks good initially and doesn't fail until after the warranty has expired. Ultraleather is significantly more expensive.
That explains it. I just looked at my brochure and window sticker and mine has Ultraleather. It's SUPER nice.

I just didn't want someone lurking around looking for their first RV to think that all Flexsteel products should be avoided.