Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 AM   #1

Used 2017 Fleetwood Discovery

Well time to jump on a deal for a 2017 Discovery 40X. A beautiful coach that we have just about signed for. This is our second coach. What a difference from the 09 Holiday Rambler. Ride, engine, extras, electronics and comfort. Previous owner appears to have taken good care of it. A few mods. What are some of the issues and quirks any of you Discovery owners have had or that I should be eyeing in particular? Cautions or red flags? What do I have to look forward to, other than payments? And good times.
Kbwahl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbwahl1 View Post
Well time to jump on a deal for a 2017 Discovery 40X. A beautiful coach that we have just about signed for. This is our second coach. What a difference from the 09 Holiday Rambler. Ride, engine, extras, electronics and comfort. Previous owner appears to have taken good care of it. A few mods. What are some of the issues and quirks any of you Discovery owners have had or that I should be eyeing in particular? Cautions or red flags? What do I have to look forward to, other than payments? And good times.
We have a 2017 40G that we bought new and we have loved it. We had a decent-sized "punch list" of items when we first bought the coach (typical stuff like loose trim, doors needing adjustment, etc), but nothing major. The advantage to buying used is that the previous owner dealt with all of that stuff for you!

This is our third coach and we haven't encountered anything I would consider a gotcha with this particular model. The Discovery really does offer a lot of bang for the buck in terms of features.

If you do pull the trigger, I strongly suggest you join the Discovery Owners Association [moderator edit]. The website contains a wealth of information and the forum has proven extremely useful. If you run into an issue with your coach, chances are someone else has had that same problem and knows how to fix it.

Enjoy your new coach!
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
We have a 2017 40G that we bought new and we have loved it. We had a decent-sized "punch list" of items when we first bought the coach (typical stuff like loose trim, doors needing adjustment, etc), but nothing major. The advantage to buying used is that the previous owner dealt with all of that stuff for you!

This is our third coach and we haven't encountered anything I would consider a gotcha with this particular model. The Discovery really does offer a lot of bang for the buck in terms of features.

If you do pull the trigger, I strongly suggest you join the Discovery Owners Association [moderator edit]. The website contains a wealth of information and the forum has proven extremely useful. If you run into an issue with your coach, chances are someone else has had that same problem and knows how to fix it.

Enjoy your new coach!
Thanks for your response. I have heard of the Discovery owners group from fellow owners here in our park in Yuma. They are in Indio for a rally this weekend, or may be FMCA. Got the haggling done. We’ll take delivery in week.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbwahl1 View Post
Thanks for your response. I have heard of the Discovery owners group from fellow owners here in our park in Yuma. They are in Indio for a rally this weekend, or may be FMCA. Got the haggling done. We’ll take delivery in week.
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new Discovery as much as we enjoy ours!
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good coach choice - 2nd on DOAI

Kb,
I'm a new discovery owner as of last year. 40E. I can't say in this time I've seen anything that would be considered systemic across the platform in terms of issues. Each person seems to have had a fairly unique experience in terms of issues though some are more frequently occuring. For the newer coaches, driver mirror wobble, dash squeaks, sometimes slide-lock issues.

My best advice is the same as Ty - join us over in the DOAI group and sign up for the e-groups forum - you'll see and be able to search for almost anything that anyone has grappled with in the discovery.

Good luck on your purchase and hope to see you soon over in DOAI.
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #6

We have a 17 40E and love it. The only real issue we had was dash squeak. I went in thru the generator compartment and looked up and about half of the nuts and washers were missing. I think there are 7 (overly long bolts in my opinion ) bolts. I used flat washer, nut and then a nylok nut to double nut them. Really took care of the dash noise.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Other than a few "operator" induced issues...no problems here 5 years on.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

I hope you have better luck than we've had with our 2017 38K.
Just about everything that can has gone wrong.
It's back in a repair shop now trying to fix a water leak that the dealership and REV all lied about fixing.
They delay things long enough for the warranty to expire.
We are working on over $5000 worth of repairs that should have been done right under the warranty.
As far as we are concerned REV / Fleetwood quality is non-existent.
I would live to get rid of it but it's a financial non starter.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I hope you have better luck than we've had with our 2017 38K.
Just about everything that can has gone wrong.
It's back in a repair shop now trying to fix a water leak that the dealership and REV all lied about fixing.
They delay things long enough for the warranty to expire.
We are working on over $5000 worth of repairs that should have been done right under the warranty.
As far as we are concerned REV / Fleetwood quality is non-existent.
I would live to get rid of it but it's a financial non starter.
Thanks John on insights of the 38K. Pace Arrow? The 38K was our first choice last month but was reading several posts about towing weight issues. Let’s hope the 40X is problem “free-er”.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #10

2017 Discovery 38K.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood