Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2021, 06:51 AM   #1

Vacuflush Follow Up

We did the bellows and duck bill refresh at the five year mark. We did the work in the middle of the pandemic, so not much use of the system since. I have been doing other projects on the motor home and check the Vacuflush when there.

Holds vacuum for weeks
Cycles in 25 seconds at 1000 feet above sea level

The only real problems we have ever had were self induced. Too much TP by grandkids and a piece of plastic wound up in toilet and jammed in duckbill exit once.

We did add dynamat sound deadening material wherever we could in the Vacuflush area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #2

Wish I could figure out why mine is losing vacuum in only 5-10 hours. It is variable. I am thinking the one connection to the vacuum tank with the rubber fitting might be it.
It is taking 2 minutes at 7000 ft elevation for the past few weeks
Old 07-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Wish I could figure out why mine is losing vacuum in only 5-10 hours. It is variable. I am thinking the one connection to the vacuum tank with the rubber fitting might be it.
It is taking 2 minutes at 7000 ft elevation for the past few weeks
Put shaving cream around the joints. If there is a leak it will draw it in.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Put shaving cream around the joints. If there is a leak it will draw it in.
I think as slow as the leak may be the shaving cream would dry up before a leak could be detected.
This one I may seek a professional. Marinesan sent me a list of authorized service centers
Old 07-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

Just thinking, how long have you been at such elevation? I am guessing that POSSIBLY the difference in atmospheric pressure just might come into play with the effectiveness of the vacuum pump. If not permanently situated there I'd wait (if not too inconvenient) till you return to lower elevation......fingers crossed.!!!!!
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Just to follow up.
The last week or so it was not shutting off.
I was getting plenty of vacuum to evacuate the toilet it just would not shut off.
That sort of confirmed my belief I did have a leak or much of a leak.
I checked all the connections one last time. This time opening the vacuum pressure switch to view. I simply touched it and the motor shut off.
A call to Dometic Sanitation brought new light onto the subject.
These vacuflush systems were not designed for altitude use. Originally there were for boats mainly at sea level. Then introduced to rvs later.
Altitude then came into play. At higher altitudes generating vacuum is more difficult.
There is a different vacuum switch available for those who use it between 4-5000 ft above sea level. The high alt switch has a lower threshold of vacuum to generate so it will shut off. Above that and higher vacuum can be guaranteed. If above 5000 feet best to shut it off after 1 minute of running. Then before flushing let run for a minute to let vacuum create.
I’m at over 7000 feet elevation outside Yellowstone NP. All’s good with me now
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting. We we at West Yellowstone last year with 3 grands and while it ran a little longer never had a problem.

Wonder it Dometic told the brain trust at Fleetwood they might not work at elevation?
Old 07-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Interesting. We we at West Yellowstone last year with 3 grands and while it ran a little longer never had a problem.

Wonder it Dometic told the brain trust at Fleetwood they might not work at elevation?
I spent a month in Moran WY and now another month on the west side of Yellowstone. Amazing! My favorite NPs without question.

I am sure FW knows about the high altitude thing. Or should I say one or two people know about it. Sure would be nice if it was documented and owners told about it. But I guess they tell you to read all the manuals for each component in the rv. That's their out.
I'm just glad mine is not a "problem" and working as designed for my altitude. Should return to normal below 4000 feet. I simply can power it off after 30-60 seconds.
I have a major gag reflex and have ZERO enjoyment taking the pump apart.