Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Vacuflush noise

Hello we have the Bounder 34T with the vacuflush toilet. It is very noisy especially at night it will wake the better half. Is this normal to make a loud noise?

Wondering,
Thanks
AlanTerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #2

Ours was LOUD as well, so much so that the neighbors 2 doors down would come and ask us what the noise was. So, in my opinion I am going to say NO...but when brought to the attention of the selling dealer several times I was told "yeah, some do make that much noise". I covered my bases and secured a 'spare'/'replacement' pump in case I was correct. Well, the original pump finally pooped out (pun intended). Glad I had the spare!!!!
Now to rebuild it and have it as a spare. Good luck in getting something done!
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

If the pump is mounted solid, getting some isolator pads can help.

A few guys on here have done it and have pictures. Try a search for Vacuflush noise.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

This older thread should answer a lot of your questions

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/vacu...-306571-2.html

If you haven't found the manual for the system yet look behind the toilet it's usually back there in a plastic bag.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
This older thread should answer a lot of your questions

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/vacu...-306571-2.html

If you haven't found the manual for the system yet look behind the toilet it's usually back there in a plastic bag.
Thanks for the link. I will have dealer take a look at it.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure when you say loud if you are talking about the flushing or a hammering sound. Mine sounded like some one was hitting the side of the MH with a mallet. Dealer listened to it and said "hum, that's not right" replaced under warranty. I would push the issue with them. No sense fixing it yourself if they will do it.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Not sure when you say loud if you are talking about the flushing or a hammering sound. Mine sounded like some one was hitting the side of the MH with a mallet. Dealer listened to it and said "hum, that's not right" replaced under warranty. I would push the issue with them. No sense fixing it yourself if they will do it.
I will have it looked at during warranty. This is my first experience with this type of system. No idea if this is the norm or a problem. Which now I know it needs to be addressed.

Thanks for every ones post.

Alan
Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

Yes, the 'recharging' of the system loudness....was so noticeable that we could actually feel the "THUMP A THUMP' in the walls inside the MH. And this was still told to us by selling dealer, and other dealers as we traveled and became more concerned (that yes some do make that much noise). As in my case, if it makes such a loud noise-something is definitely NOT RIGHT, just a matter of time until the inevitable happens.
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #9

My pump got real loud before it snapped the motor shaft.

On disassembly I discovered a wad of toilet paper in the bottom of the pump chamber, restricting the diaphragm travel.

We switched to single ply paper and no more build up. Been 9 years now.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
Yes, the 'recharging' of the system loudness....was so noticeable that we could actually feel the "THUMP A THUMP' in the walls inside the MH. And this was still told to us by selling dealer, and other dealers as we traveled and became more concerned (that yes some do make that much noise). As in my case, if it makes such a loud noise-something is definitely NOT RIGHT, just a matter of time until the inevitable happens.
Hi Folks,
The thump thump noise is NOT the way it should be. Many of us had it and also fixed it. It is pretty easy to adjust.
Mine is fixed now and I had to take a double take when I flushed for the first time. I thought the pump was not working it was so quiet.
Don't ignore it because it just gets worse. And when it fails it's going to be at an inopportune time and that will most likely be a mess to take apart then.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Hi Folks,
The thump thump noise is NOT the way it should be. Many of us had it and also fixed it. It is pretty easy to adjust.
Mine is fixed now and I had to take a double take when I flushed for the first time. I thought the pump was not working it was so quiet.
Don't ignore it because it just gets worse. And when it fails it's going to be at an inopportune time and that will most likely be a mess to take apart then.
If it is easy to adjust maybe you can share how you adjusted it ?
Old 12-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If it is easy to adjust maybe you can share how you adjusted it ?
Don't remember specifically which thread it is in. It is an adjustment of the cam on the vacuum pump motor. I am pretty sure it is one of these I posted on a similar thread the other day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Couple threads on the vacuflush noise and adjustment to quiet her down. It should not be that noisy:

vacuflush-breaker-location

replacing-vacuflush-toilets

vacuflush-tips

bounder-experience
Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wrote the vacuflush tips thread and will try to give a little more advise. I may have a little more insight on the issue as I have went from being a new owner to having my coach for a couple years and noticing the different noises the pump can make as it ages or operates abnormally that a new owner may not have.
When the pump is new or operating as it should, you should hear no more than a woosh, woosh, woosh. Now, that may be too loud for some but in my opinion it is not really annoying although yes, if you are a light sleeper it may wake you. The problem that developed with mine was that one day it went from woosh to sounding like someone was banging on the floor or wall with a mallet, more like a bang, bang bang or knock knock knock. To solve this problem, follow my steps in the tips thread but I must impress upon you, one thing. The slightest play in the shaft that connects the motor to the bellows will produce the bang. Make sure the set screw is tight and use some blue loctite. if you can move it or rock it, it will make noise. The difference is nothing short of amazing.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will also tell you not to get aggravated with the system. If used properly and with common sense, it is a well built very reliable system that has proved itself for years and years in the marine industry.

Tags
noise