Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #1

Vacuflush use in Winter

Ok so I have a 2008 Fleetwood 36D with 2 vacuflush toilets. I plan on using my MH during the winter months for weekend camping. The temps get well below freezing here in Calgary, AB and I was wondering if anyone out there has used their vacuflush toilets in freezing temps and what you have done to keep the vacuum system warm. In the past with other MHs I have used winter windshield washer fluid to flush.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

Add RV antifreeze to the black tank and just flush with water. Your heated rig will take care of the rest.

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

I am not aware of any heat in the cargo compartments.
Could you elaborate a little more please?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBye View Post
I am not aware of any heat in the cargo compartments.
Could you elaborate a little more please?
Generally the forced gas heater ducting runs below the coach floors and provides enough radiant heat in that area to keep you above freezing. The heated interior of the coach will also offer heat soak threw the floor as well.

If using city water I would recommend a heated and insulated hose. The water tank has enough capacity that you would have to experience severe cold weather for that to be an issue. YMMV

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

I only have 1 heat duct that runs through one of the cargo compartments. But that's about 7 feet away from the hoses and pump of the Vac System. I doubt the radiant heat from this would do anything! The temps here in winter can drop to -30C / -22F for weeks on end so I definitely wont be using my FW tank or hoses. All I want is to use the toilets without damaging the Vac System, hoses, pump etc...
I should have also mentioned that I plan on using 2 electric heaters as my main source of heat inside the coach as I will have a 30amp hookup
Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
I only have 1 heat duct that runs through one of the cargo compartments. But that's about 7 feet away from the hoses and pump of the Vac System. I doubt the radiant heat from this would do anything! The temps here in winter can drop to -30C / -22F for weeks on end so I definitely wont be using my FW tank or hoses. All I want is to use the toilets without damaging the Vac System, hoses, pump etc...
I should have also mentioned that I plan on using 2 electric heaters as my main source of heat inside the coach as I will have a 30amp hookup

Ok, put a gallon of RV antifreeze in the BW tank and use water from a 5 gallon jug for flushing, if want to put some antifreeze in the flush water, that's fine too.

Put a candescent shop light with a 75w bulb in the wet bay as close as you can to the vacu-flush system or a small ceramic heater set on low. This should keep the area warm enough to prevent freezing.

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #7

Thanks...
That's kinda what I was thinking?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks...
That's kinda what I was thinking?
You can also buy one of those cheap (~30) remote indoor/outdoor thermometers and place on of the remotes in the wet bay to monitor the temp from inside the coach.

-Kevin
Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #9

Good idea!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #10

-22F ?!?!?!?

Please do let us know how that works out. My guess is it will not without running the furnace for the entire time (not just the weekends). My guess also is the furnace will not be able to keep the inside of the coach at a reasonable temperature for living.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
-22F ?!?!?!?

Please do let us know how that works out. My guess is it will not without running the furnace for the entire time (not just the weekends). My guess also is the furnace will not be able to keep the inside of the coach at a reasonable temperature for living.

I have been winter camping for many years(weekends) with a few different motor homes. And never had a problem. The furnace might kick in during the night time 2 maybe 3 times. FYI
Old 10-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #12

Not in any MH I have owned.
-22F is mighty cold.
Glad I’m not going to ever have to find out what would happen to my Fleetwood at thouse temps. I still stick by my original comment. The r values are pretty minimal on most RVs and the basement is considerably less than the living area. The vacuflush is in the basement usually.
Curious did you call Fleetwood as ask what they recommend?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

Cold is an understatement.
But 3000 Watts of electric heat and some sweaters and extra bedding has always done it for me. As for contacting fleetwood. No I have not. Figured I would ask a few questions here 1st.
The -20 would be the extreme and average would be -10 to -15
Good old Canadian winters.

Tags
winter