Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Vacuum flush question

I know there have been a lot of posts on this system, but I didn't find anything specific to my problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

When I step on the flush pedal of either toilet, the pump comes on, but there is no vacuum sucking and nothing goes down. I get a red light and pumping noise. The red light does not go out. Eventually, I have to cut off the system.

I have waited several hours and tried it again. No change.

In the past few months, this would happen occasionally. I would cut off the system and come back in a few hours and everything would be fine.

We use single ply paper and flush for 3-5 seconds.
mst0neham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Would I hurt anything if I tried a plunger?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

You can try a plunger, won't hurt. Do it with the pump running.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/toile...ml#post4917553

And from the same gentleman
https://www.marinesan.com/VacuFlush-...stems-s/33.htm
Old 09-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #5

Stopped at a hardware store and bought a small plunger. Two or three plunges with the pump running, everything good now.

Thanks for the response and link.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:59 AM   #6

Interesting how elevation affects number of “ka-chunks” the pump takes.

At sea level it is about 60, but at 8000 ft it was closer to 160.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

Really? Elevation caused me all of that stress?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Really? Elevation caused me all of that stress?
Found that if we are above 5000 feet it never stops. We just let it run for a few minutes then shut it off. Then turn it back on before we need to flush again.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #9

Huh, interesting. We’ve spent most of our summer between 6200-7500ft. At the highest it ran and ran for what seemed like ever. I even timed it once at almost 3 minutes. The one time it went longer I went out and banged on the pump and it stopped. I thought it might be the Happy Camper, so I stopped using it, did a thorough black tank flush and it went back to around long but stopping. Now we’re at the beach and it’s back to a count of about 36. We head to Lake Tahoe on Sunday. 6200ft. I’ll have to see if the cycle hets long again. We ran into someone in Holbrook that turns theirs off all of the time too.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #10

Ok, here in Lake Tahoe, the cycle is REALLY long again, but it does stop eventually
Old 09-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #11

Yes at elevation it will take a little longer. Shouldn't take double the time FYI. I've been in Tahoe and it took maybe another 10-15 seconds, so 45 vs 30 seconds to shut off.
Lots of "issues" with Fleetwood and the vacuflush system. The poor install quality leaves MANY points of vacuum failure. These techs that install these things are just not that smart or possible just DON'T care. I had a leak on a toilet flange that was installed incorrectly and replaced under warranty. There was also silicon on the white plumbing lines near the vacuum accumulator tank - a big no no near rubber. As one Ron White says "You can't fix stupid"
In general it works very well. Know to hold it down 2-3 seconds after EACH flush. Vacuum should hold and pump not run until flushed again even if that is a week later, it SHOULD NOT LEAK and lose vacuum at all. That simple!
You will have to replace duckbills every 2-3 years along with a bellows.
My duckbills lasted until last summer. So that was 3 years from date of purchase and 1 year of being full time in the RV. My bellows just failed 2 days ago so I had the "joy" of replacing that yesterday.
Oh, and FYI hard water destroys both these items much quicker. I have a water softener and generally have nice soft water which probably lengthened the life of both those items.
Next time I will do preventitve replacement of both these items before they full fail on their own. Fair warning to everyone else...
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
Interesting how elevation affects number of “ka-chunks” the pump takes.

At sea level it is about 60, but at 8000 ft it was closer to 160.
From Durango, Colorado, elevation 6,500. I would say your duckbills are wearing out. When I rebuilt mine last winter, it was taking about 70-80 seconds to cycle. After the rebuild, it dropped to less than 45. Presently at 750' it takes 22 secs.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Yes at elevation it will take a little longer. Shouldn't take double the time FYI. I've been in Tahoe and it took maybe another 10-15 seconds, so 45 vs 30 seconds to shut off.
Lots of "issues" with Fleetwood and the vacuflush system. The poor install quality leaves MANY points of vacuum failure. These techs that install these things are just not that smart or possible just DON'T care. I had a leak on a toilet flange that was installed incorrectly and replaced under warranty. There was also silicon on the white plumbing lines near the vacuum accumulator tank - a big no no near rubber. As one Ron White says "You can't fix stupid"
In general it works very well. Know to hold it down 2-3 seconds after EACH flush. Vacuum should hold and pump not run until flushed again even if that is a week later, it SHOULD NOT LEAK and lose vacuum at all. That simple!
You will have to replace duckbills every 2-3 years along with a bellows.
My duckbills lasted until last summer. So that was 3 years from date of purchase and 1 year of being full time in the RV. My bellows just failed 2 days ago so I had the "joy" of replacing that yesterday.
Oh, and FYI hard water destroys both these items much quicker. I have a water softener and generally have nice soft water which probably lengthened the life of both those items.
Next time I will do preventitve replacement of both these items before they full fail on their own. Fair warning to everyone else...

How difficult was it to replace the bellows. I’ve already replace the duckbills once
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
How difficult was it to replace the bellows. I’ve already replace the duckbills once
The worse part for me was getting the pump separated from the hoses so I could get it out so I could work on it without being shoulder deep in the compartment. Why they don't use a union and make it simple is beyond me.

I had trouble getting it closed back up finally got a couple bolts started and started turning them a turn at a time.

Somewhere at https://www.marinesan.com/VacuFlush-...stems-s/33.htm
is a video or picture diagram on how to put it back together, don't see it now, look around. I just couldn't get their method to work.

Buy the O-rings when you replace and note the placement when you take it apart.

« Inverter | Air Bags »