Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #1

Vacuum pump rebuild or replace. Can’t get folks to do.

Ok, I wrote about this a month or so ago. I’m going to try and attach a video of the vacuum pump on our 2014 Fleetwood bounder 35k pumping when turned on. ( inside, red light stays red won’t turn green).
If movie attached you’ll see where water is pumping from ( just below SW on pump if only still shots attached)
That whole area was filled with crap that had to be cleaned out.
So, based in the following I may have to do myself somehow :
A) Fleetwood Decatur Indiana, took couple weeks just for them to acknowledge email. Then they said ( mind you, a month ago) they had opening June 28th. I asked how long of a job after I explained. She said 3-4 days. I asked for cost estimate ( mind you, 450 mile drive, where to stay for those nights etc) she then said DIDN’T know the problem. I said I had 22 second video. She asked me to send. Never heard back from her. Asked 3 times since, no response asking for estimate based on video.
B) general RV Huntley Illinois, bring rv in with appointment (. 260 miles) we’ll assess and then take home, we’ll let you know) can’t leave rv there, no room. Oooook
C) local rv place. Had service to cone out for $60 to look at rv ( vs bringing in and leaving there, on 15 miles but only $60 applied to when they come back) took panel off, looked, left. Didn’t want to see movie.
I called a week
Later and a week after that and so on and only keep getting “ were checking to see with parts if we can get new vacuum pump”
Yet, I can buy anywhere online.
Sooooo the heck with all of them, become a contortionist and do myself.
Does it need new pump or just baffles etc?
Answers much appreciated. Wife would like to use this summer.
Hopefully pics attached Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3788.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	329481Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3790.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	329482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3791.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	329483
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
US1

There is nothing hard about either rebuilding or replacing a vacuum pump. You will have to see if the housing is cracked at the screws to determine if a rebuild or replacement is a better option. (Cheaper) Just a little dirty work. You may have a bad bellows that is allowing flush matter to leak out thru the top and all down around the outside. Flush a lot of water thru before hand if possible. You can normally just replace the 4 duck valves and the bellow in under an hr if the pump is accessible. That’s the key. Those are the wearable items. I’m at 4 yrs since my rebuild on
My boats vacu flush and still good as of last weekend. Boat/Rv. Same thing. You are correct the parts are easily bought online. I buy from Seacoastservices
Old 05-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #3

It is best to handle this yourself. Looks like a ruptured bellows. We bought our rebuild parts from Marine Sanitation and Supply. Wear gloves and a face mask. Rinse with lots of water and dawn soap. You will be fine.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #4

Just remove the vacuum generator yourself and tear into it. Worst case, you have to replace the whole unit but I bet it just needs duck bill valves.
I actually carry a box of brand new VacuFlush system parts in case I ever have a problem when on the road.
Just for reference, this is what I carry for VacuFlush spare parts.
1) 385311462 Seal kit
2) 385318162 Ball kit
3) 385314349 Water Valve kit
4) 385310063 Floor Seal kit
5) 385310540 Vacuum Switch kit
6) 385310076 Duckbill Valves (2 kits for a total of 4 valves)
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
It is best to handle this yourself. Looks like a ruptured bellows. We bought our rebuild parts from Marine Sanitation and Supply. Wear gloves and a face mask. Rinse with lots of water and dawn soap. You will be fine.

Thanks folks I’m going to check above in bedroom . Under bed an 8” x 12” door my wife saw. Hmmmm
That would be too easy. Otherwise I try side door. Front screws easier to get to then rear ones.
I just don’t like the rv place saying nothing aside from “it’s the whole pump” when obviously the pump works.
To hear nothing about if, maybe, could be, work on the unit week after week.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Just remove the vacuum generator yourself and tear into it. Worst case, you have to replace the whole unit but I bet it just needs duck bill valves.
I actually carry a box of brand new VacuFlush system parts in case I ever have a problem when on the road.
Just for reference, this is what I carry for VacuFlush spare parts.
1) 385311462 Seal kit
2) 385318162 Ball kit
3) 385314349 Water Valve kit
4) 385310063 Floor Seal kit
5) 385310540 Vacuum Switch kit
6) 385310076 Duckbill Valves (2 kits for a total of 4 valves)

Wait to find out which vacuum pump it is after I’m pulling outbid my bounder? Then order....
Old 05-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
Wait to find out which vacuum pump it is after I’m pulling outbid my bounder? Then order....

https://marinesan.com/vacuflush/vacu...ntenance-kits/
Gives you some trouble shooting guides. Then scroll down to
VacuFlush Pump Repair Kit, S Pump: Bellows, 1.5"DB's, 8-Bolt Style

Rebuild it and be done with it. Hope your access works.

Good service and phone help from them and fast shipping.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
I just don’t like the rv place saying nothing aside from “it’s the whole pump” when obviously the pump works.
To hear nothing about if, maybe, could be, work on the unit week after week.
RV techs do not want to touch it because of the biohazard they could be exposed to. They will opt to replace the entire unit every time.
You will need to access the unit from the outside. Use a #2 square bit and remove the panel above the propane tank.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #9

Still no quote from rv repair guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
Fleetwood had a sub contractor call me. Sounded hesitant on working on pump. His “diagrams” of my unit 2014 35k showed pump in different position. Never got back to me. Local rv repair either.
BUT. GOOD NEWS. I TOOK OUT THE UNIT MYSELF . After crap washed off, huge Calcium buildup or? On interior of piping and bellows. Scrapes off decently. Ordering parts!!
OH YEAH, UNIT HELD IN PLACE BY ONE OF 4 screws, SAVING GRACE GETTING UNIT OUT. SAYS A LOT OF THE QUALITY WORK BY FLEETWOOD
Old 06-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #10

After the first time ours went kerplunk, I ordered a whole new motor and vacuum unit...rebuilt the old one, and now I have a whole new unit to replace lickety split...of course rebuilding the one that took a "dump". Also, about the 2nd time doing so, I have rerouted the whole shebang where i can access w/o 'climbing in the cabinet'. HD had the hose, and have the motor and vacuum generator(?) (the big white thing) secured by using wing nuts.....easy peasy job now!!! I use CLR to clean out the old pump before rebuilding.
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #11

All apart waiting for rebuild kit

I had, what I’ll call a huge calcium buildup on a lot of the parts. I’ve attached a pic and also a pic of the mess that has to be cleaned. Replacing all into unit shouldn’t be bad at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34DF3275-AC56-4D27-B9A2-FFD1C7970487.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	331342   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CEAA767-578F-495C-A7AF-FC4CF7141B19.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	331343  

Old 06-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
I had, what I’ll call a huge calcium buildup on a lot of the parts. I’ve attached a pic and also a pic of the mess that has to be cleaned. Replacing all into unit shouldn’t be bad at all
Your going to save a ton of money and time doing it yourself. Plus, now you will have the knowledge to simply fix it yourself in the future.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Your going to save a ton of money and time doing it yourself. Plus, now you will have the knowledge to simply fix it yourself in the future.

I want to thank Fleetwood in Decatur Indiana for all their assistance, ( none) and the local repair guys fir getting back to me . DoneClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3991.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	332118
Old 06-29-2021, 08:01 PM   #14

I am currently in the original posters shoes. NO ONE wants to fix or replace a vacuum pump. Ours started giving us trouble yesterday. It just won’t stop running. So we have to turn it off manually. We immediately stopped using the toilets, and started using those in the park. It’s not even leaking. But everyone is booked. One guy told us it was a flawed stupid system and won’t guarantee his own work on it.

I’m pulling my hair out. We have to get to Arizona right after the 4th. If the repair guys there can’t fix or replace it, I’ll have to rent a house until our house under construction is completed and then make an appointment with REV Oregon. I’m sure they are booked out past October at this point.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, pump, rebuild, replace, vacuum