Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #1

velvac mirror adjustment

Good Morning all,
I recently lost the ability to adjust my drivers side mirror out. It will still work up and down and inward, just won't go out. unfortunately, if I adjust it manually it will float inwards as I drive and I'll be looking at myself before long. It's a velvac mirror with convex on top and bottom of the flat glass on a 03 Revolution. Not sure of the mirror model number. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this problem.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #2

just a shot in the dark here. is it possible the switch is worn out?
four way rocker switch right?
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyT49 View Post
Good Morning all,
I recently lost the ability to adjust my drivers side mirror out. It will still work up and down and inward, just won't go out. unfortunately, if I adjust it manually it will float inwards as I drive and I'll be looking at myself before long. It's a velvac mirror with convex on top and bottom of the flat glass on a 03 Revolution. Not sure of the mirror model number. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this problem.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bob
The first thing to do is go to the Velvac website and identify the model number. I think yours will have a 709651. You will want to know this before working on the mirror because you need to take the glass out. They have plastic snap-in clips that are really easy to install and really hard to take out. You will want to verify that new glass is available in case you break it taking it out. (don't ask how I know this). I did a quick search on how to release the clips but nothing quickly popped up. I did find a youtube video on it several years ago.

There is a 4 way motor behind the flat glass. Since yours will pull in but not out it sounds like the motor is ok. They can become disconnected or the plastic clips that hold the glass frame to the motor. They can also wear out. The other thing that can happen is one of the wires or one of the pins in the connector can break or fail.

The easiest way to get at the wiring is to take the mirror off the coach. The wires run down through the arm and into the coach. You should be able to pull about a foot of wire out of the coach and the plug should be right there. Check the plug, have someone run the mirror in all directions, and test for voltage. You may be able to find a wiring diagram to tell you which wires are which but I have always found it easiest to just diagram how they run. BE CAREFUL. Do not let the plug drop back in the coach. You'll spend a lot of time trying to get it back out.

The reason why the mirror will creep back in is that the motor doesn't move all the way out when you push it by hand. The is still some inward pressure on it. You can try and make it stay by pushing way past where you would set it, put a shim in to hold it, or even drive it. The motor will move out a little further, but never really enough.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the ideas. I have a binder from the PO that lists every part in this coach. Once I figure out the model number, hopefully I can find a video on glass replacement and go from there. I'll also check the switch.
Much appreciated,
Bob
Old 08-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #5

Look inside of the body of the mirror I think on the bottom its a paper sticker, you might need a ladder or go inside and hang out of the window.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #6

Maybe the arm is loose

Are you sure it is not the arm itself that is migrating while driving and you have reached the limit of the adjustability of the mirror itself? Mine did this and I had to tighten down the arm so it would stop moving. Then I was in my adjustability range.
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:09 PM   #7

Mirror adjustment

I occasionally have the same issue when the mirror starts to come loose. I just add a wiggle check to my pre drive routine.
Jeep151 is offline   Reply With Quote