Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wall Problems? 2000 American Eagle

I'm looking at a 2000 American Eagle as our potential new (to us) rig. All of the exterior-facing walls of the coach have darker (light gray/charcoal colored - almost like a shadow) markings on the inside wall paper. At first I thought they were wear marks on the wall paper (like furniture would make when it rubs), but then realized that they were too straight, and in too many locations where there is either no furniture that can rub, or too high for furniture to reach. Then I realized that the markings match up exactly with the location, size, width and direction of the structural members inside the walls themselves. As a result, walls can have vertical, horizontal and/or angled markings depending on what structural members are behind a specific wall segment. The whole effect is similar to seeing dark markings the width and direction of every 2x4 in the walls of your stick frame home. The fiberglass exterior of the walls have no signs of this - only the wall paper inside.

My thoughts are that new wallpaper will make it "look" like new, BUT... are the markings indicative of problems inside the walls themselves?

Is this signs of water infiltration? There is no sign of water leakage on the interior of any of these walls. I did see that some of the silicone sealing on the outside of the coach needs to be re-accomplished, BUT, some of the silicone that needs to be replaced has an almost black, chalky material in the cracks that will go away if scrubbed - is this mold? If it is mold, I would suspect the markings I see inside the coach "could' be caused by the same. And if it is mold, why would it show up only at the structural members, and not on the complete wall?

Am I looking at potential trouble up the road?
Would rather not bite off more than I can chew!

Thanks for your help!
H.Huester
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	14998   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0173.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	14999  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0129.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	15000  
H.Huester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #2

I've had 4 American Coach's, I've not had this problem on any. Possibly a glue that adhere's the inside wall to the wall struts has bled through the wall paper. Possibly a problem the way it was stored (humidity,temp, or other) when not used. If no leaking is found, I don't know, sorry. The dark surface on the sealant on the outside, don't know but I have had it and so do my friends RV's.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #3

I'll take a look at our wallpaper this week to see if there is anything similar on our 98 Eagle. Suffice it to say I have not noticed this in the almost 3 years of ownership.

Water intrusion would not look like what I am seeing in your photos IMHO.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #4

Took a look yesterday, do not see this on our 98, but our wallpaper has more patterns and colors than the 2000 you are looking at.

Dave
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #5

To the OP,

It was a bright sunny day today in S. Florida and I can see what I would call "print through" in the same exact spots shown in your photos.

Because of the pattern I really had to look hard to see them and I would say they are normal for these Eagles. My coach has no leaks and as I said before I had not noticed them until I looked for them.

Dave
Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks!

Many, many thanks for your feedback.

We're headed back next week - owner is taking it to Cummins for a full service (his dime), and Cummins will do a complete chassis, motor, trans, gen checkout (my dime). My plan is to be there and (hopefully) go through the coach with the tech as thy inspect, so I can learn as much as I can about what will most likely be the "new to us" coach.

Thank you again for your help!
H.Huester
H.Huester is offline   Reply With Quote