Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2022, 04:09 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Water damage question

I have a 2013 American Tradition. We were caught in 14" of snow two weeks ago. We finally were able to get out of the park after 4 days. Drove it home about 50 miles no problem. After all the snow melted, the water from it went into my air intake and into the engine locking up 2 of the cylinders. The mechanic said that the water relise valve in the air collection box was clogged with debris and over filled into the air cleaner then engine. This valve is like a nipple under the box in a place you would never know about. Hidden deep inside and not visible. Anyone know if this is a service item, or something that's self cleaning. My insurance is investigating this and things are looking bad, like $40k bad.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #2

i just had mine off last night and cleaned it out with dawn soap. yes, this is a service item.
thanks for sharing so others will know what could happen.

sorry for your mechanical failure.

just looked up your rv. i have a gas and the intake nipple is visible and i accidently knocked it off while working around the intake. seeing it was dirty, i cleaned it.

could it be a snow damage item, since it was related. it would be how the service writer puts it down on paper i guess.
WHSouthwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
I have a 2013 American Tradition. We were caught in 14" of snow two weeks ago. We finally were able to get out of the park after 4 days. Drove it home about 50 miles no problem. After all the snow melted, the water from it went into my air intake and into the engine locking up 2 of the cylinders. The mechanic said that the water relise valve in the air collection box was clogged with debris and over filled into the air cleaner then engine. This valve is like a nipple under the box in a place you would never know about. Hidden deep inside and not visible. Anyone know if this is a service item, or something that's self cleaning. My insurance is investigating this and things are looking bad, like $40k bad.

Never heard of it being a maintenance item, my guess if air box could get a lot of snow in it then then drain nipple could be frozen or have dirt and not let water run out.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:06 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Just thinking, what good is the nipple anyway. Just leaving it off would let all the water out. Went to Cummings to check out what they're doing. The insurance told them to pull the engine, at $10k, and see what caused the water damage. The mechanic said it's to far damaged and needs a new engine. Still haven't heard from the insurance Co, State Farm. So it seems to me them just might fix it. Really bad design. i think you could get fresh air from just about anywhere that didn't have the possibility of letting water in.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've never seen anything in the recommended maintenance manual/checklist about checking or replacing the air cleaner drain nipple (duck bill). Or checking the air cleaner canister for debris in the bottom. But check/replace the air cleaner cartridge is there, and I suppose any problems with the nipple could get noticed then.

Mine tended to catch acorns, stored up top at the air intake by the numerous squirrels where I parked. Some of them fell down the air shaft and got trapped in the bottom of the canister. I made it a habit to empty them out every spring.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I've never seen anything in the recommended maintenance manual/checklist about checking or replacing the air cleaner drain nipple (duck bill). Or checking the air cleaner canister for debris in the bottom. But check/replace the air cleaner cartridge is there, and I suppose any problems with the nipple could get noticed then.

Mine tended to catch acorns, stored up top at the air intake by the numerous squirrels where I parked. Some of them fell down the air shaft and got trapped in the bottom of the canister. I made it a habit to empty them out every spring.
The duck bill is located in a spot where you would never think of looking. If stuff did get into it it would be impossible to get it out. The box is located at the bottom of the air intake. Don't know how you would ever get out to clean. I replaced the air cleaner half year ago. Looks like the water was all the way up to the roof and also filled the air cleaner and upper engine.

Tags
water, water damage