Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 52
Water on top of slide

Hi all I have a problem with rain water accumulating on top of the slide on my 2015 discovery 40e. Only the full wall slide on the driver side. The other 2 slides on the passenger side are always dry after and during a rain fall. Anyone else have this problem and what was the fix. Iím wondering if itís leaking between the gutter and the slide awning. Baffled as to how so much water can accumulate on top of the slide with the awning covering it TIA.
Fleetwood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
chindog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6,807
Water can wick under the slide topper. Happens all the time to me. Well, not all the time, but sometimes. After a recent rain, when I pull in the slide, I grab a flashlight and look at the top of slide after it's retracted. If I see water up there, I roll up a towel and put it on top of the slide behind the cockpit seats. My full wall slide is on the passenger side, and I really don't want the co-pilot complaining about getting soaked.
__________________
Mike and Retha
2014 40G Fleetwood Discovery
chindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood40 View Post
Hi all I have a problem with rain water accumulating on top of the slide on my 2015 discovery 40e. Only the full wall slide on the driver side. The other 2 slides on the passenger side are always dry after and during a rain fall. Anyone else have this problem and what was the fix. Iím wondering if itís leaking between the gutter and the slide awning. Baffled as to how so much water can accumulate on top of the slide with the awning covering it TIA.


Problem is once material stretches it will always pool water a very common problem with toppers. On my Revolution it has a frame to hold up topper. You can try a simple fix, throw a rope across to pull down sides of topper to let water off.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dbircky's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1,362
I pull mine in about 6-8 inches and stop there until the water stops flowing off. Iíll even lower the front to speed it along if Iím in a hurry. Never had a drop of water inside, with and without toppers.
__________________
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2011 JK
dbircky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:09 PM   #5
Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 82
I had water on my slide and when leaving the RV park I put on the brakes on and got soaked. I found that there were some pin holes on the slide topper and the water leaked in. I used some thin awning repair tape and fixed it. I will replace the slide topper in a few months.
__________________
Jeff

2017 Fleetwood Discovery 37R, 2014 Honda CRV toad.
JFreitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Problem is once material stretches it will always pool water a very common problem with toppers. On my Revolution it has a frame to hold up topper. You can try a simple fix, throw a rope across to pull down sides of topper to let water off.
That’s a good idea but I don’t think the topper is the problem as I don’t see water leaking through the topper. My problem is water accumulating on top of the slide roof itself. At first I thought maybe water was getting underneath the topper from the ends but the other 2 slides on the passenger side never have water on top of the slide roof
Fleetwood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:59 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
Water can wick under the slide topper. Happens all the time to me. Well, not all the time, but sometimes. After a recent rain, when I pull in the slide, I grab a flashlight and look at the top of slide after it's retracted. If I see water up there, I roll up a towel and put it on top of the slide behind the cockpit seats. My full wall slide is on the passenger side, and I really don't want the co-pilot complaining about getting soaked.
I’ve done the same in the past but in a really heavy rain there is gallons on top so I take a squeegee with extendable handle and pull as much as I can out before retracting and put a towel up as you do. Subsequently this time water has gotten in to one of the cupboards above the sink. I think I can fix that with silicone. Just can’t figure out why so much water can get underneath the topper on that side and not on the other on the other side ��*♂️
Fleetwood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
Member
 
PMSPKS's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
I know this thread is over 5 months old, but I am having the same issue. During a recent heavy rain and wind, we had a lot of water accumulate on the driver's side full wall slide roof. We discovered it when we noticed water dripping out of the cabinet over the sink and behind the microwave. I now have to figure out how to reseal so it doesn't leak again. I am assuming I'll have to remove the interior fascia and backer, remove the slide topper to gain access to the bulb seal to remove, and then clean and reseal with Eternabond? Any ideas?
__________________
Paul & Pam
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E, 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4, Blue-Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Flyer15015's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: On the continental divide
Posts: 1,484
I do what Rooster does.
I have 3 slides and each one has its own color-coded cotton clothesline rope.
I tie each down about halfway out on the slide to guard against wind and just tight enough promote drainage.
Several downpours in central Florida and no water in the coach so far (knock on wood).

Mike in Colorado
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 2,070
Like chindog said, water can wick under the topper. As water comes down over the top of the 1/4" bead of the topper that fits in the track attached to the coach, capillary action can wick some water around the back of that 1/4" bead and drip out under the topper, on to the roof of the slide. I've seen this in action. A quick hard rain won't produce much water, but a long lite rain will have much more time to wick around.

Best suggestion that I have is to scrub/clean the top of the 1/4" bead, let it dry good the apply a small bead of silicone to seal the topper bead to the track to prevent water entry. Keep in mind, if you ever need to replace the topper, that bead of silicone will provide some difficulty when trying to remove the topper.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M w/2021 Equinox
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:37 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Fiesta48's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,154
Mine did this too. I found that most of the water under the topper was caused by pin holes and rain getting in the side slide seals at the very top.
I used silicone glue on the topper and garage door rubber bottom seals at the top of the side slide seals. Cut to fit.
As for the middle pooling I bring it in just a little at a time.
__________________
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:05 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSPKS View Post
I know this thread is over 5 months old, but I am having the same issue. During a recent heavy rain and wind, we had a lot of water accumulate on the driver's side full wall slide roof. We discovered it when we noticed water dripping out of the cabinet over the sink and behind the microwave. I now have to figure out how to reseal so it doesn't leak again. I am assuming I'll have to remove the interior fascia and backer, remove the slide topper to gain access to the bulb seal to remove, and then clean and reseal with Eternabond? Any ideas?
I think I may have found the problem for mine. The topper was not rolling out even over top of the slide Topper was barely flush with edge of the slide on one side and 2 1/2 inch over hang on the the other end so I removed the screws that hold the topper to the side wall,rain gutter and was able to get it fairly centred again.and re siliconed the gutter track So far so good. But we never had much rain this summer����
Fleetwood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:49 AM   #13
Member
 
PMSPKS's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 30
Thank you for your responses, but water on top of the slide is not the main issue. With hard/blowing rain or wicking or pinholes in the topper, some water is going to get on top of the slide out. My issue is that water is leaking down into the cabinets inside, so there must be a void in the seal at the slide roof to inside flange interface. I was asking if anyone had repaired this before, and if so, how was it done.
__________________
Paul & Pam
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E, 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4, Blue-Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSPKS View Post
Thank you for your responses, but water on top of the slide is not the main issue. With hard/blowing rain or wicking or pinholes in the topper, some water is going to get on top of the slide out. My issue is that water is leaking down into the cabinets inside, so there must be a void in the seal at the slide roof to inside flange interface. I was asking if anyone had repaired this before, and if so, how was it done.
I think your only option is, with the slide out, to remove the topper roller from the slide, roll it back against the coach so you can inspect the area where the topper material is sealed against the outside slide flange. There has to be a spot where it's np longer sealed.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M w/2021 Equinox
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide, water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bounder: Black tank leaking from top? Cup from install found at top. mrsportys Fleetwood Owner's Forum 22 05-07-2021 05:11 PM
Induction cook top & Aqua hot vs Gas three top/Truma Adam1219 Tiffin Owner's Forum 32 09-10-2020 10:03 PM
Top off or not top off that is "def" question kohraptor Sprinter Chassis Forum 27 11-16-2016 09:40 AM
optima batteries...difference between yellow top and blue top pacevette iRV2.com General Discussion 35 11-01-2011 01:13 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.