Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #1

Water pressure woes

I have searched and found nothing that is helpful. My water pressure is awful. At the kitchen sink, with water pump on AND hooked to city water, I get a pulsating stream. The pump is alternating on and off and when it’s on, the flow increases, and when it’s off, the flow lessens. So I have a water flow and pressure pressure problem. I replaced my pump with a new pump rated at higher gpm. Still same problem. No water line kinks seen anywhere in visible compartments.

My question is: Is there a filter or regulator built in by manufacturer? One that I don’t see? It’s gotten to the point I can’t stand to use the water!

Thanks for your time,

1999 American Tradition.
Trexoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #2

A few things. I've never heard of leaving the water pump on when you're hooked up to city water, seems like that wouldn't be very good for the water pump.

It's possible there is a water pressure regulator built into the fitting where you screw your hose into the RV.

Do you have an RV regulator on your water hose that's attached to city water? Some of those things will cut down the water volume tremendously. Home Depot sells a real water regulator that will give you good volume at the pressure you choose.

Does unscrewing the little filter screen on the faucet help?

And last of all, I don't think I've ever had house type water pressure and volume in any RV I've ever owned but maybe other people have and they can help you better than I can.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #3

Leaving pump ON when connected to Shore Water will NOT cause any harm
Pump will only come ON if/when System Pressure drops low enough for Pump Pressure Switch to Close

If Flow/Pressure is LOW when connected to City Water then:
Check the City Water connection for clogged screen
Check the in-line regulator/restrictor for clogging
Check Water Filter for clogging

Water Pump on/off...at Kitchen Faucet....remove/clean aerator on end of faucet

***do you have pressure/flow at other faucets?????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

First suggestion, try the water system without the pump being on. What is the result? If steady but low pressure, then the issue is with city pressure, your coach regulator, check valve, or system filter.

Low city water pressure, for whatever reason, can cause pulsing water flow with the pump on as the pump cycles to build pressure greater than that supplied by city only.

Also try with pump only. If it still pulses, the pressure switch may need adjustment.

As Old-Biscuit posted, there is no issue using both at the same time, however pulsing will only happen with the pump in use.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
make sure that your shower heads (both inside & outside) are off not just paused. the knobs have to be turned off otherwise you will not build good pressure. ask me how I know
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaBull View Post
make sure that your shower heads (both inside & outside) are off not just paused. the knobs have to be turned off otherwise you will not build good pressure. ask me how I know
That shouldn't affect system pressure......can cause luke warm water in Hot system but pressure should not be low
Shower faucet just acts like a mixing chamber....pressure would remain same whether shower knobs closed or just the shower handle button/lever was closed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:01 AM   #7

Thank you all for your replies. For what it’s worth, I had pump on only to help with water pressure. Turning it off only stopped the pulsing flow. The bathroom sink and shower were only marginally better if any. Also, cold and hot sides were the same. I will try again with a different city water source.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That shouldn't affect system pressure......can cause luke warm water in Hot system but pressure should not be low
Shower faucet just acts like a mixing chamber....pressure would remain same whether shower knobs closed or just the shower handle button/lever was closed
might not should affect pressure but it does. past experience talking, also posts on other threads have had the same results. bottom line very easy and free to check.
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexoffroad View Post
Thank you all for your replies. For what it’s worth, I had pump on only to help with water pressure. Turning it off only stopped the pulsing flow. The bathroom sink and shower were only marginally better if any. Also, cold and hot sides were the same. I will try again with a different city water source.
Note bold.

Do you mean that both cold and hot sides were the same temperature or same flow rate? If temperature, then you have a mixing valve problem, such as the outside shower, as mentioned.

The rest of your post indicates a problem in the flow to or through the system on city water. Before you dig further, run only the pump, without city water hook up, an report the results. If you have the same low flow, the issue is with something in your system like the faucet aerators, or the screen before the water pump. Running only the pump should not involve any whole house filters.

If you have smooth, more forceful flow using only the pump, the problem has to be with the city water, the pressure regulator to the coach, the check valve/screen at the city water connection to the coach, or the whole house filters.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Also, if you think it's city water, inspect the check valve at the city water inlet. If that is stuck or only partially open, it will affect the pressure.
-Dave
Old 02-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #11

I took a video of the water running in kitchen sink with only water pump on. Site won’t let me load it here for some reason.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

As Old-Biscuit posted, there is no issue using both at the same time, however pulsing will only happen with the pump in use.
The one time I tried boosting city water pressure with the pump, all it did was use my fresh water tank. No city water was used.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexoffroad View Post
I have searched and found nothing that is helpful. My water pressure is awful. At the kitchen sink, with water pump on AND hooked to city water, I get a pulsating stream. The pump is alternating on and off and when it’s on, the flow increases, and when it’s off, the flow lessens. So I have a water flow and pressure pressure problem. I replaced my pump with a new pump rated at higher gpm. Still same problem. No water line kinks seen anywhere in visible compartments.

My question is: Is there a filter or regulator built in by manufacturer? One that I don’t see? It’s gotten to the point I can’t stand to use the water!

Thanks for your time,

1999 American Tradition.

Filter under sink? Screen clogged on end of faucet?
Old 02-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #14

Fill ALL lines with 5% white vinegar. Leave in place overnight (and longer if feasible). Then flush.
$1 /gallon at Dollar Tree store.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure