Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Water Separator on Revolution?

Is there a water separator for the fuel?
I changed the large filter, ever since I’ve had starting issues… someone told me to look for the water separator but I can’t seem to find it or even know if it exist on my 2004 Fleetwood Revolution with the ISC Cummins

Thanks!
Iron By Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 12:09 PM   #2

Yes, it should be back by the radiator right below the power steering reservoir. At least it is on my 2005 Cat engine.

The one on your coach could have been changed to where it doesn't have the "clear" plastic bowl on the bottom. My coach has two fuel filters. One on the engine, and the second one back by the radiator.

Beware, changing the filters dry could result in heart burn as you try to start a fuel starved engine.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:24 PM   #3

The chassis maker, not the engine maker determines whether one or two fuel filters.

The engine manufacturer merely specs to what micron rating the fuel must be filtered.

I know there were some years of some chassis where the bean counters deleted one filter to save a few bucks.

Contact your chassis maker with your VIN to determine your filter configuration.

This is IMPORTANT. If only one filter, it has to have a fine micron element. If two, the primary (first one from the fuel tank) will have a course filter element (generally between 10 and 30 micron) and the secondary filter the fine element (generally between 2 and 5 micron). So, even though filters of different micron ratings will fit on the same filter housing they are NOT interchangeable. For example, if you have the one filter set up and use a filter element meant for the primary filter on a two filter set up, you will be throwing "ROCKS" at the injector system. And, if a two filter set up and you use the fine filter element meant for the single filter set up as the primary, you will clog the primary filter very quickly and the secondary filter will be along for a free ride.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron By Chad View Post
I changed the large filter, ever since I’ve had starting issues… someone told me to look for the water separator, but I can’t seem to find it or even know if it exist on my 2004 Fleetwood Revolution with the ISC Cummins

Thanks!
Hi, again, Iron by Chad,

I have the Cummins ISC 350 on my 03 Rev. There is only one filter on mine. It's a combo fuel/water separator. In reading info on the Cummins QuickServe site, this engine was designed to use the combo fuel/water separator filter.

Assuming you have the side radiator, the fuel filter/water separator is located to the left, and below the engine diagnostic port, you found and posted in your other thread. There's a cable that connects to the bottom of the filter. This connection will light up the "Water in Fuel" light on the dashboard display is it detects water.

You say you've been having issues. If you expand on your problem, you may get some good suggestions to help resolve it.

Dave
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #5

Changed big fuel filter last year… 5000 miles ago…ever since it has been hard to start…

Recently ran for 30 minutes… then it turned it off…, repeat problem 3 weeks later…. But after running for five minutes it shut off and wouldn’t restart.

used a gas soaked rag over the air filter box to get the motor running. Once running, cracked that bleeder screw and get all air out of system

And it started flowing after doing this twice.
Ran for 30 minutes, so I shut it down.

This morning, it was hard to start and it finally started, but quit after 5 minutes.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:

I changed the large filter, ever since I’ve had starting issues… someone told me to look for the water separator but I can’t seem to find it or even know if it exist on my 2004 Fleetwood Revolution with the ISC Cummins

Thanks!

My opinion if it was fine before changing and not now something wrong with installation of new filter or something wrong with new filter.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

Funny! My 03 has the 2 filter set-up, so apparently sometime between when my unit was built and Mr. Dave's was built they changed from 2 to 1. When I got it I replaced them with the same Fleetguard filters that were existing. It had a FS1242(20 micron) with the plastic bowl attached to it as the primary and a FS1022(10 micron) as a secondary. Never occurred to me that the existing may not be correct. After reading the info wolfe10 posted I got out my engine manual to look at micron #s and realized I have an ISL manual for my ISC engine. (Previously had an ISC for 10 years so thought I was pretty familiar with it.) Anyway if anyone knows the correct micron # for a 2003 ISC and wants to post it, that would be great. I may need to change my secondary. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #8

Hey mdc99, where is the 2nd filter located on your rig? I'm pretty sure I don't have it, but will look again if you tell me where to look.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #9

You couldn't miss it if you had the same set-up as me. They are located side by side with maybe 12 inches in between them. Mine are located just in front of the rear bumper super easy to get to once you remove the louvered grill. Not sure why the photo posted sideways but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210722_104342.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	337007  
Old 07-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #10

Hi Iron By Chad, just so you aware (if your not already, and I am not an expert in this area) but if you are experiencing a fuel starvation issue this could have serious consequences to your high pressure injection pump. Leading to a very costly repair.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 PM   #11

Still having troubles, going to replace fuel filter and if that doesn't help then I guess I will run some kind of pressure test?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:31 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Still having troubles, going to replace fuel filter and if that doesn't help then I guess I will run some kind of pressure test?
Replacing the filter is a good step. I imagine it's possible to have a bad one.

Something to consider is to cut open the old filter and inspect it. Given the age, fuel algae is a possible issue. When you cut open the filter and see black junk, you'll know that's the problem.

Let us know what happens.

Dave
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
revolution, water