Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #1

We have been trying to get a problem with the factory installed awning fixed for 6 months. Fleetwood installed a weather-pro awning over the passenger side slide. This awning due to location does not slope enough for any water to shed and catches the wind and bang up and down on the arms. Dometic says awning is itself correct but mounting location prevents proper operation. Fleetwood says they have never had another complaint about this. They suggested to dealer a "help" modification that "may" help. I want it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem and had it corrected? The awning is useless unless its sunny and no breeze, oh the wind sensor does work, big deal, nothing like being forced inside even for a drizzle.
aquestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #2

Weather-Pro Awning on Bounder 38P

We have been trying to get a problem with the factory installed awning fixed for 6 months. Fleetwood installed a weather-pro awning over the passenger side slide. This awning due to location does not slope enough for any water to shed and catches the wind and bang up and down on the arms. Dometic says awning is itself correct but mounting location prevents proper operation. Fleetwood says they have never had another complaint about this. They suggested to dealer a "help" modification that "may" help. I want it fixed. Has anyone else had this problem and had it corrected? The awning is useless unless its sunny and no breeze, oh the wind sensor does work, big deal, nothing like being forced inside even for a drizzle.
aquestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We also have the Weather Pro on our Pace Arrow with a kitchen slide on the passenger side. You are correct, in that, the awning is only good for shade (when the suns straight above you) and for rain (if it's raining straight down). This awning should never have been used when it must be installed above a slide out. They actually attached another awning rail high up on the roof. Although they used a lot of goop to seal the rail from leaking it catches water and doesn't drain properly because it creates low spots along the roof, so the water just sets for a day or two. I usually raise the rear jacks (only) after a rain storm so it will drain off.

If and when mine ever gets torn up, and I'm sure it will, I'll replace it with a Carefree shorter awning that I'll mount to the slideout itself. I've noticed alot of the newer coaches have done this when they have a slideout on the curb side. If I do change to one of these on the slideout, I will also mount an awning over the door and side window. Similar to what you see over most diesel front door moho's, but a little longer.

<span class="ev_code_GREEN">I FORGOT TO ADD</span>, as GerryB54 below mentions the so called automatic water dumping on the A&E is a joke. Mine sometimes will dump by virtue of the rear arm collapsing as it's supposed to do, I repeat "Sometimes," but even when it does it only dumps a small amount of the water and a large volume still remains. I have to grab the arm myself and dump it manually. Of course I usually get wet.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
My A&E Two Step (same basic hardware as WeatherPro - just not electric) failed to shed water recently (have kitchen slide as well), filled up overnight with 400lbs of water, bent the roller tube...in the process of having it replaced under an insurance claim...poor design for that location for sure.

I liked how the Two Step operates, though, very easy to manually put up/take down.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed Carefree Slide Awnings on my 97 Cardinal 36 foot 5th wheel 3 Slides. The awning attached to the side of the 5th Wheel and then to the front of the Slide Out with arms. So as the Slide went out it pulled the Awning out with it covering the Slide roof. Then you would pull a strap and attach it to the front of the Slide that lowered the Awning part for over the windows. The cover was only a few inches above the Slide roof and would hold small amount of water. But would roll off as you put the Slide back in.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #6

I haven't experienced any of those problems with mine.

2008 Bounder
Stan Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #7

We ran into this problem as well this summer. Last year the only time it was out during rain it worked as it was supposed to. But this summer there was a sudden down pour and it would not dump. We had to pull in the kitchen slide and then it dumped. I too agree that it is a very poor design and should have been placed on the slide out. I understand that there is another Carefree Awning that we can keep our arms and material and replace other parts.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #8

My 2006 Pace Arrow 37C has the same awning system. If I had known how troublesome it was going to be before I bought, I might have made a different decision. The coach is great but the awning has given us nothing but problems.

My awning was only 2 months old when we bought the RV. We were actually on the road camping when we bought it, so we swapped out RVs and took the Pace Arrow back to the campground. Next night it rained. About 50 gals of water pooled on the awning. I didn't realize it has the auto water dumping feature...probably because it never worked from the get-go. Needless to say, the roller tube got bent due to excessive weight and a small rip occurred on the fabric.

Took it in to dealer within six months of buying it to get it looked at. Fleetwood didn't want to cover the repairs. Said I had left it out in a "storm" based on their assessment, and the awning wasn't designed for that. I contested, and they gave in, and the dealer replaced the tube and fabric. Cause of the failure: I don't really know. I was told by the dealer that they "lubricated" the auto release arm and that seemed to help. Since it was replaced I really watch out for rain. I too have had to go out during a normal rainy day and pull the arm down to release the water. I use an old awning pole which is about 4-5 feet long. That allows me to get out of the way of 500 lbs of water!

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been RV for over 38 years and have lost two awnings. One from wind and the other from water. That history has lead me never to leave my awning out when I am not around it. We have an 08 Bounder with the Weather Pro. The wind detector seams to work pretty good but I have not tried the water dump. We always bring it up when it starts to rain heavy and never leave it open over night. Just don't trust any of them anymore. My 2 cents.

'08 Bounder 35 H
Monty W S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
I got my Two-Step awning replaced with the same model/type, seems to operate a little better but haven't been out in the rain with it to see if the dump feature works yet.

Unfortunately, the one time it doesn't work will bend the roller tube all over again!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Regarding the Weather Pro dumping water properly, there was a problem with having the wrong sized fabric installed on the Weather Pro.
Myself and others were having this problem a few years back. I have an 05 Pace B with kitchen slide and mine would not dump properly. I ordered the MH new and when it arrived it had a small tear in the fabric of the awning. The Dealer replaced it, I think just the fabric. Not sure if it came with the wrong sized fabric or the Dealer replaced it with the wrong size.
You may want to check your's if it won't dump properly. Anyway, these are my notes for the correct fabric size.

The model # should be 845 for over slide out's. Tag is on front of tube with awning extended. Mod 815 as I know is not correct. You could have the wrong fabric in the correct tube.

R3308634 EU {EU is just the color} is the correct fabric.
The correct size is 209" X 95". The 95 inches includes the metal slats. There should be 5 slats and the arms should be straight with one another. Not with an angle in the middle.

My frabic was 209" X 90 3/4" and was too short and I did not have the correct number of slats.
The Dealer said it was correct but A & E called the Dealer and told them where the Bear poops and to put the correct fabric on as per instructions from A & E. Works perfect since.

This may not be your problem but it was for some. A very good contact at A & E for this problem is Al McQuire, if he's still there.

For what's it worth.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote