Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 AM   #1

Weekend of repairs and set backs

Over the weekend I was able to install the new outside grab handle. The new screws that came with the kit were bigger so I had to tap the holes. Drill bit broke, cut my finger and chipped the paint by the handle.

Next thing is generator maintenance, New air filter installed but the oil drain plug will not loosen up.!! Someone before me looks like they used other than the right tools and no matter what I used I could not get it to loosen up.

With it misting rain and defeated the wife and I went shopping and bough some rugs, clock and other various things to make it more like home.

I got a plug removal tool from work so maybe I can finish up the generator maintenance this weekend. On a brighter note I was able to get my 53 Ford tractor starter installed and have it running again.

I want to dewinterize it but I know we will get at least one more freeze before the warmer temps set in for good.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefM View Post
Over the weekend I was able to install the new outside grab handle. The new screws that came with the kit were bigger so I had to tap the holes. Drill bit broke, cut my finger and chipped the paint by the handle.

Next thing is generator maintenance, New air filter installed but the oil drain plug will not loosen up.!! Someone before me looks like they used other than the right tools and no matter what I used I could not get it to loosen up.

With it misting rain and defeated the wife and I went shopping and bough some rugs, clock and other various things to make it more like home.

I got a plug removal tool from work so maybe I can finish up the generator maintenance this weekend. On a brighter note I was able to get my 53 Ford tractor starter installed and have it running again.

I want to dewinterize it but I know we will get at least one more freeze before the warmer temps set in for good.
I had the same problem with my drain plug. I was one step away from having to drill it out when It finaly gave up and came loose. I used vise grips as the head of the bolt was almost round. squeezed them down as hard as I could get them (at that point I was ready to have to drill it out) and got lucky.

Hope you do not have to drill.

Glenn Lever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #3

Giving the generator a good warm up seemed to help in my case.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #4

I warmed it up good and was going to let it drain while I did some other stuff. I ordered a socket from the Mac tool man and I have my drill and easy out set if that doesn't work.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefM View Post
I warmed it up good and was going to let it drain while I did some other stuff. I ordered a socket from the Mac tool man and I have my drill and easy out set if that doesn't work.
I can count on one hand how many times an easy-out has worked for me (usually because the reason the head of the bolt is stripped is because the bolt is frozen and the head was stripped trying to get it out). Certainly try it, but I would have a plan B

Glenn Lever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

We are currently on day 2 of trying to get 2 screws out to remove the exterior handle to refinish it. Got the other 6 out with no problem.
The screws haven't stripped...yet, they just won't budge.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #7

Chief in the old days when i used to tun wrenches one of the best tools to use on a drain plug like that is a hammer impact.It accepts a bit or socket, you turn it in the direction to loosen and hit the tool with a hammer .The blow shocks the bolt, nut or what have you loose. google the tool and you'll see how it works.When i worked in a marina it was the only way to remove the drain for the stern drives to change the oil in the lower unit...
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #8

X2 on the hammer impact. I use it on old motorcycles with a #2 or 3 Phillips socket to break screws loose from the engine casing
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
A word of cation on the hammer impact tool. The surrounding area supporting the bolt has to be able to withstand the impact of the hammer. If you are using it to remove the bolts on the grab handle remember that the exterior of the motor home is Fiberglas an that is what is holding the handle to the side of the motor home. On the oil pan if that is a cast pan or even a stamp metal pan the last thing you want to do is damage it by hitting it with a hammer as then you are looking at replacing the pan.

Glenn Lever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
A word of cation on the hammer impact tool. The surrounding area supporting the bolt has to be able to withstand the impact of the hammer. If you are using it to remove the bolts on the grab handle remember that the exterior of the motor home is Fiberglas an that is what is holding the handle to the side of the motor home. On the oil pan if that is a cast pan or even a stamp metal pan the last thing you want to do is damage it by hitting it with a hammer as then you are looking at replacing the pan.

Glenn Lever
I am going to try it but not with a window smashing blow. The issue has been keeping the bit in the screw head while turning with decent torque. The hand impact hammer should accomplish that. The regular impact drill bit would slip out of the head with any amount of torque.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

The hammer impact i mentioned doesn't need to hit with a sledge just tap with small ball peen till you shock it loose shock is the key.It wouldn't be suggested to use in a area that the surrounding material could not support it.
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnerotten View Post
Chief in the old days when i used to tun wrenches one of the best tools to use on a drain plug like that is a hammer impact.It accepts a bit or socket, you turn it in the direction to loosen and hit the tool with a hammer .The blow shocks the bolt, nut or what have you loose. google the tool and you'll see how it works.When i worked in a marina it was the only way to remove the drain for the stern drives to change the oil in the lower unit...
I am a Cat tech and I have a hammer impact but most of my special tools are at work. I have a pipe plug socket on order with the MAC tool guy but I won't get it till Tuesday next week. I may try to change the fuel filter this weekend if it doesn't rain while I wait on socket to come in. I did notice while I was under there that the generator rubber exhaust hangers are both broken, another thing to add to the to do list.

I may try to rig a VCR to the outside hookup for the cable and see if I can figure out the set up for the campground cable to play in the coach.

Tags
air, repair, repairs