Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wet Bedroom Carpet, where's the leak?

I just discovered a problem in my 2004 Southwind 32V. I have three separate wet spots on my carpet in the bedroom between bed and closet after a heavy rain storm. Both slides are out and no water found on walls, ceiling (which is carpet as well) or anywhere else except three spots on the floor. There is no vent or lights in this area. Its as though it is coming up from below somehow. I crawled underneath it and there is nothing mounted in this area except the spare tire and the underside bottom looks and appears dry. The rear marker lights, ladder mounts are all on the rear cap that does not touch the actual coach walls. (There's a 4" gap) Any ideas before I consider lifting the carpet to see anything.

P.S. I camped in it numerous times this year in rain and did not have this happen then.
smorg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It may be possible that the actual entry point for the water leak could be somewhere else on your motor home.
All I can suggest is using a garden hose and doing your own leak test on areas that you may think the leak is at.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

is it near a slide? if the problem is a rubber seal on the slide it should be wet at the corner of slide.... if its a silicone seal on slide out room, the water will enter the slide and either stay under plywood depending on tilt or find its way in via gravity......
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is the wettest (or first wet) spot near the slide end (IE either side of the bed)

On my coach the slide outs have worn down their guides a bit and the top seal on teh slide had a good quarter inch gap between it and the slide "roof" Water would flow under the seal easily, then run down the "ends" (front/rear) of the slide and soak the carpet next to the bed.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the responses, I need to explain my dilemma in more detail. The wet spots are not near the slide. The three spots are approx. 8 inches apart and about the size of softball between the bed and the closet on the non slide side of the bedroom. The carpet is not wet between the spots or on any sides of the wet spots. It as though its bubbling up out of nowhere. I have ran my hand along any obvious sources with nothing being wet. Nothing wet anywhere other than these spots and their is a decent amount of soaking water in these three areas. I crawled underneath and the only thing directly below the spots is the spare tire. No water showing on the underfloor side. There is what appears to be a seam underneath running along the floor above the spare tire. (Maybe a source for entry?) My motorhome has it's leveling jacks down and is sitting level. Keep the ideas coming. Thank You
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The water may be running under the sub floor and coming up there.. In this case the only solution may be to turn a garden hose on it (from outside) and slowly work your way over the entire rig till the floor gets wet.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #7

do you have a pet with a pee pee problem? or maybe a DW with a drinking problem ( as in spilling drinks )
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
LMAO, it was coming in from the slide. The three wet spots were carriage bolt heads that acted as straws to draw the water up and into the carpet pad and carpet.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg007 View Post
LMAO, it was coming in from the slide. The three wet spots were carriage bolt heads that acted as straws to draw the water up and into the carpet pad and carpet.

So what did you do to fix the problem?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

How did you figure it out? Was it using the garden hose or did you use another method?
rrawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

After pulling up the carpet and carpet pad to dry everything out it started raining again. There was a constant and defined stream of water coming from the rear corner of the bedroom slide. There were recessed area surrounding the carriage bolt head causing the water to puddle in these two areas.

Upon closer examination of the slide I had three separate issue to address. My slide topper had a small tear allowing water to enter just above the left rear corner. My slide sweep did not completely sweep to the "out" position causing a funnel effect and opening for the water to enter the left rear corner of the slide. My inner slide seal in the lower rear corner somehow got pulled away from the slide where it was originally glued (about a 3" section) and was now angled at about 45 degrees causing a huge opening for the water to directly enter the coach and have free unobstructed access to the floor.

I closed the slide until it stopped raining and did the following repairs.
  • Used awning tape to seal small tear in slide topper.
  • re-positioned my slide sweep to be in the correct position.
  • Used glue designed to glue on outside trim pieces of auto trim to re-glue inner slide seal back in original position on slide. I then used a small syringe to put caulking sealant down the inner seal to add extra protection in hopes to won't separate again.
  • replaced carpet pad and carpet
It has not rained since the repairs were made but it was obvious what caused the problem and I feel I adequately addressed the problems. Everything looks good now.

Wish me luck

Tags
leak