Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

What is in this tank?

Hi, new RV owner here! Just bought my first RV. A 2020 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. On the passenger side, last compartment to the back, there is a white tank filled with some sort of fluid. There are absolutely no markings anywhere on or near the tank that say what it is. Also, I could not find anything in the Fleetwood owners manual or the Freightliner owners manual that says what it is (I have a Freightliner XCS chassis). So far I have not found anything on the web that says what it is . The only thing I know is that there is a 'Fill Line' near the top of the container and the actual level of the fluid is way below that. The fluid looks to be deep reddish in color. So I'm going to draw from my past experiences with machinery and cars and guess that it is some kind of hydraulic fluid. The RV is parked in my driveway with the leveling jacks down and the slides out. I don't see any fluid leaks. I checked all under the rig for the rainbow shimmers on the wet driveway that oil would cause and don't see any.

What is in that bottle? Should I be worried about the level?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2395.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	313067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2394.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	313068  

mike99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #2

Nothing in the Freightliner manual , about adding DEF ( Diesel Exhaust Fluid ) did you get a Cummins engine manual ?

I don't have a coach/engine that needs DEF , so I can't be sure , hope a member with a 2020 coach checks in soon; because if you run low on DEF the engine de-rates.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a diesel, so don't know what DEF fluid would look like; but presuming it is hydraulic fluid, with your jacks down and slides out, the level should be low, as the fluid has been fully deployed to actuate all of the hydraulic rams.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I don't have a diesel, so don't know what DEF fluid would look like; but presuming it is hydraulic fluid, with your jacks down and slides out, the level should be low, as the fluid has been fully deployed to actuate all of the hydraulic rams.
^^ Good answer! ^^

DEF is clear as water, BTW.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Yea my guess is that it is hydraulic fluid too. I will un-deploy everything today and see if the fluid level goes up.

It DEFinitly isn't DEF fluid . There is a big tank for that on the other side. I know this because that tank is actually marked!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

Nothing in the Freightliner manual , about adding DEF ( Diesel Exhaust Fluid ) did you get a Cummins engine manual ?

I don't have a coach/engine that needs DEF , so I can't be sure , hope a member with a 2020 coach checks in soon; because if you run low on DEF the engine de-rates.
It is funny about the manual from Fleetwood. It has helpful tips like 'check all fluids before taking a trip' but nowhere does it say which fluids to check, more importantly where and how to check the fluid and even more importantly exactly what type of fluid to replace if you find it low. I'm a newb though. It is very likely I missed something somewhere. I have a big notebook going though for when I find answers.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedice View Post
It DEFinitly isn't DEF fluid . There is a big tank for that on the other side. I know this because that tank is actually marked!
Sorry about the guess I made on DEF tank , just back from a Google search of XSC chassis DEF tank , and by the size alone , it's not the DEF.

EDIT: Did you get any brand info on your leveling / slide drive mechanisms ?
Old 01-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #8

Absolutely no worries. Thanks for taking the time to join the conversation!
Old 01-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #9

Looking at your top photo, I can see what looks like a filler cap on the top, right side of the container. The shape and size of that cap matches the kind used on my hydraulic system for slides and jacks, though the reservoir is much different. There may even be a very short dipstick attached to the cap, as there is very little difference between "low" and "full" in the hydraulic reservoir.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Yes it's for the hydraulic reservoir for your jacks
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #11

Thumbs up DEF Tank is Blue CAP

DEF tanks use BLUE gas caps(diesel is green). Previous post hit it on the nose, its a Hydraulic Res. Fleetwood manual will specify which fluid type, most likely Dextron 3. REV Group still uses PowerGear products I believe, their website will specify which fluid to use. Check level with both Jacks and Wall Slide RETRACTED so that the fluid is back in the tank. If its low, I assume your wall is out and its leveled as all the fluid is currently in lines and extension rams so you won't have an accurate reading.
MyRVButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm always amazed that people buy things without knowing what they are buying.... or at least asking the seller.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I'm always amazed that people buy things without knowing what they are buying.... or at least asking the seller.
I'm amazed that that you would make a comment like that to a NEW RVer.

There are systems all over today's RVs that no one can know everything about, until they get it home and start going over it, like the OP did.

We are hear to help, not make him feel inadequate.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #14

Twinboat hit it right
on the head.
IR2 is here to help.
Asking a question is the start of fixing the problem.
Been helped here many times.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank