Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where is Kwikee steps fuse in 2018 Bounder 35k

Hi all. Our Kwikee steps were working fine earlier in the day but now won’t extend. Does anyone know where the steps fuse is located for the 2018 Bounder 35K?

Step lights are working when we open the door but according to Kwikee the steps are on different circuit from step lights so wondering if a fuse problem. House and chassis batteries showing 13.1 volts so not low battery. Do not have step lock on either.
Gypsy9978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy9978 View Post
Hi all. Our Kwikee steps were working fine earlier in the day but now won’t extend. Does anyone know where the steps fuse is located for the 2018 Bounder 35K?

Step lights are working when we open the door but according to Kwikee the steps are on different circuit from step lights so wondering if a fuse problem. House and chassis batteries showing 13.1 volts so not low battery. Do not have step lock on either.

It should be in your 12 volt fuse block I believe there is one on the steps itself.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are step fuses in the BCC box.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the guidance. I am still a newbie and am not familiar with a BCC but found it in my storage compartment. How do you go about opening it? And what (if anything) do you have to disconnect first?
Old 07-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am making a guess that you have this one https://rvcustomproducts.com/f73-1020

It opens by lifting the two latches and pulling the cover out.

There is 12 volts in there with a lot of amps, be careful what and where you touch.

Look at the block diagram and you will F3 and F4 on the lower right.

Also check any plugs on the wires to the motor.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #6

Kwikee step system in my coach has three fuses . so test every fuse you find .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone. Turns out the fuses were good. Took it to a repair shop and the bad news is that we need to replace the motor. So disappointing since the coach is a 2018.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #8

I was told by a mobile mechanic that if the step light is on, then the motor has power. In your case, light was on, thus bad motor.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #9

Mine is a 2017 Bounder, just dropped off an hour ago for step repair
dogshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #10

Replacing the step motor is an easy process if you want to avoid taking it to the dealer plenty of videos on YouTube and the motor can be purchased for less than 100 bucks. I’m on my 3rd They are exposed to a lot of road debris and seem to fail pretty frequently. Also make sure not to step down on steps until they are fully deployed.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #11

It is likely not the motor. We've had the same issue and the issue is over-retraction due to the bump stops on the frame getting compressed. Once it is over retracted, the motor and gearbox doesn't have enough leverage to open it up, the motor will just get warm.

The simple solution is to loosing the three bolts holding the motor in (disconnect the 4 pin connector of course) remove the motor a bit and it will free the jam.

Of course the servicing place won't even notice this because they'll just toss the motor because they think they need to replace something, and of course swapping the motor out will also unjam it. I've been meaning to make a post about this.

Our coach is also a 2018 model.

The fix is some $5 sturdier bump stops from Home Depot. I guess they've already done the work but it will jam up again when you least expect it.
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fuse, kwikee, steps