Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

Where is my inverter located?

I'm wanting to upgrade the inverter to a larger capacity. I'm needing to know where it is currently located?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

An inverter was not standard equipment in that coach - do you perhaps mean the CONverter? That's the thing that charges the batteries and converts 120v shore power to 12v for use onboard.

They can be located in a variety of places, depending on the floor plan. Might be integrated with the 120v circuit breaker panel, or might be located under the fridge or dinette seat or even in a bathroom cabinet. One way to locate it is to just listen while plugged into shore power. If it is quiet in the coach, you should be able to hear the slight hum of the converter. Turn on all the lights - a good sized load on the converter will make it a bit noisier and easier to hear.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

I was hoping there was an inverter already installed. Looks like I'll be starting from scratch now. I want to be able to run the Direct TV and 37" TV while in motion without having to run the generator. It keeps the little one happy when she can watch Nick Jr. while we are cruising down the highway.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have an In motion satellite dish?
They make several models of 12 v DVD players for children's entertainment. Just another option.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Do you have an In motion satellite dish?
They make several models of 12 v DVD players for children's entertainment. Just another option.
I do have an in motion dish and a portable DVD player but we want to have the TV working.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It is possible you have an inverter that feeds the tv. Easy enough to tell - does it work with no shore power and genny not running?

You can power the tv and everything else by running the genny as you drive. It isn't expensive - they are real fuel misers when the load is light and your fridge will run off it too, saving a bit pf propane. Heck of a lot cheaper than adding an inverter just to watch tv on the road.

And on hot days you will have a/c as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We run the genset a lot during the summer just for the roof air so adding a TV to the load is not a big deal. I would think I could run the genset for several hundred hours, which by the way is good for it, for what an inverter would cost.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #8

Okay, you guys convinced me to not worry about the inverter. Makes sense to just run the generator. I forgot about running the roof ac's too in the summer. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
UUUUUUHHHHHHHHH....... My converter thingie is located under the bottom drawer of the cabinet next to the cook stove. It is easy to see if you take the drawer out and peek under there with a flash lite. You can see it but you can not touch it because you dont have an arm growing out of the center of your chest. you have to lay belly flat on the floor and reach under with your hand/arm and find the three screws that mount it to the floor. It is easy to find if you are plugged into shore power and ''listen for the fan'' on it to cycle.......
Hope this helps.....
Seajay the sailor man.
my coach is a 2000 pace arrow 33 foot with two slides ... ford chassis .... v 10 ....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
UUUUUUHHHHHHHHH....... My converter thingie is located under the bottom drawer of the cabinet next to the cook stove. It is easy to see if you take the drawer out and peek under there with a flash lite. You can see it but you can not touch it because you dont have an arm growing out of the center of your chest. you have to lay belly flat on the floor and reach under with your hand/arm and find the three screws that mount it to the floor. It is easy to find if you are plugged into shore power and ''listen for the fan'' on it to cycle.......
Hope this helps.....
Seajay the sailor man.
my coach is a 2000 pace arrow 33 foot with two slides ... ford chassis .... v 10 ....
I was asking about an inverter not the converter. Thanks though.